Making Canna Butter

Cannabis Cooking and Recipes
Point 5
Respected Member

Making Canna Butter

Post by Point 5 »

After reading Joker59's post on extracts a convo started in the Kitchen between me and HMR. The result of this convo was the kids were dropped off at school and HMR went to the shop to get butter.... you can see where this is going.

so to Google i went and found this https://www.leafly.com/news/lifestyle/r ... annabutter it has basic in the title so i was sold :clap:

Like good students we followed the instructions.

Ingredients
half oz of bud
250g of butter.

Equiptment
Slowcooker/CrockPot
Cheese cloth and sieve
Foil
Baking Tray
Grinder
spoon or something to stir with

Here is our step by step if you don't want to read the link (instructions taken from link not my own words lol) :)

The essential (and often missed) first step: Decarboxylating the cannabis
Before making your cannabutter, you’ll need to decarboxylate, or “decarb”, the cannabis flower you’re working with. Skipping this step will result in a weak or inactive finished product. Here’s why: Cannabis buds produce a non-intoxicating acidic cannabinoid called THCA. When we smoke or vaporize cannabis, the heat converts THCA into THC, the molecule that delivers euphoric effects. If preparing CBD edibles, this same process should be applied.

Some recipes may instruct you to decarb cannabis in the hot butter directly, but the less time you spend soaking the buds, the better your infused butter is going to taste. For this reason, we recommend decarbing in the oven first.

Decarb the cannabis. Preheat your oven to 245ºF. Place cannabis buds on a non-stick, oven-safe tray. Cover the tray with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Insert the tray into the oven and set a timer for 30-40 minutes. Older, drier cannabis may require less time. (Tip: you can also set your oven to 300ºF and heat for 10 to 18 minutes, although low-and-slow is the recommended approach when decarbing to better preserve the cannabinoids.) Every 10 minutes, gently mix the buds with a light shake of the tray to expose the surface area of the buds equally.
Grind. Grind the decarboxylated cannabis coarsely with a hand grinder.

Step 2
Set your slow cooker to low, or somewhere around 160ºF. (Tip: Avoid exceeding 200ºF to prevent burning or wasting cannabinoids. You can also add a little water to help prevent scorching.) we didn't put water in

Step 3
Add the butter and ground cannabis. Stir occasionally.
After about 3 hours, turn off the crockpot and wait for the butter to cool.

Step 4
Strain the cannabutter. Set a funnel on top of a jar and line it with cheesecloth. Once the butter has cooled off, pour it over the cheesecloth funnel and allow it to strain freely. (Tip: Squeezing the cheesecloth may push more bad-tasting plant material through).

Step 5
Refrigerate the jar of butter. If excess water forms at the bottom of the jar, you can remove the solid butter with a knife and drain the water out. (The butter will need to refrigerate for about an hour before removing the water.)

Before going in to fridge
After an hour in the fridge

Step 5
Dose carefully. Refer to dosing information below before adding your butter to any snacks, dishes, or desserts.

This is the first time i have ever tried edibles so just used it to cook some Kangroo burgers for Tea. Defiantly need to use more next time as it didn't do much lol.
These users thanked the author Point 5 for the post (total 2):
Ghost_In_A_Jar (Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:33 am) • anova.330 (Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:09 am)
Whoever said the best things in life are free blatantly grew their own pot
:puff puff:

flip
Known User

Re: Making Canna Butter

Post by flip »

Keep us up to date on the impact of the butter! I'm hoping to make some soon :)

I think a lot of the potency would have been lost on the burgers, when they gave off their own fat/juices. Might be better incorporated via baking etc? Or slather the burger buns with it!
I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing

Point 5
Respected Member

Post by Point 5 »

flip wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:58 am
Keep us up to date on the impact of the butter! I'm hoping to make some soon :)

I think a lot of the potency would have been lost on the burgers, when they gave off their own fat/juices. Might be better incorporated via baking etc? Or slather the burger buns with it!
Totally agree but I'm a wimp amd it was a school night 🤣🤣

I see fudge being made this weekend :oik!: ill report back

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Hey @Point 5 !

Hope you're well?

So I want to make some butter..are you still following this guide? Any extra tips or advice :)

My first time at doing this.

Peace
Wu

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

We havent made any for a while now mainly because it taste like shit if im honest. BUT, if done with something with a good strong flavour its ok. We fucked up by not decarbing first so was fairly shite. I want to make some more but we are in the process of restocking on bud lol
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post (total 2):
wutang (Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:31 am) • anova.330 (Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:10 am)
From the Garage of HMR
No Current Grow on, Point5 has the tent and is doing her lovely thing.

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

we did decarb it im reliably informed, it just tasted shit lol probably need another go at it and to actually cook something decent with it.
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post (total 2):
wutang (Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:38 am) • anova.330 (Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:11 am)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Hmr81 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:28 am
We havent made any for a while now mainly because it taste like shit if im honest. BUT, if done with something with a good strong flavour its ok. We fucked up by not decarbing first so was fairly shite. I want to make some more but we are in the process of restocking on bud lol
:) I've some old bud that was crap to smoke but still gets you high..so I thought I may as well convert it into butter. Presumably I can make some chocolate cake, as that would have a stronger taste..

Whats your decarb process? I've got a fan oven and im scared of over doing it haha

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

fan oven tbh at 110c ish. no idea if we over did it or not lol.
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post:
wutang (Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:40 am)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

I'll give it ago! Lets hope I don't get stuck to my chair haha

Point 5
Respected Member

Post by Point 5 »

No butter, coconut oil or any of the edibles I have made have worked for me.
I have left this idea now and thinking about other things to do with it like iso
These users thanked the author Point 5 for the post:
wutang (Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:55 pm)

Return to “The Great Canna Bake Off!”