9 prescription medicines to avoid using with cannabis

Medicinal & health benefits of cannabis
duke
Respected Member

9 prescription medicines to avoid using with cannabis

Post by duke »

We know cannabis is one of the safest medicines out there but there are times where you need to proceed with caution and possibly even avoid. I grabbed this article from Herb for you to have a read though...

Medical cannabis is becoming increasingly more popular around the world. But, while the herb is proving to be a useful medical tool, researchers still know fairly little about how cannabis may interact with various pharmaceutical medications. In the upcoming years, this will certainly be a major area of study. In the meantime, here are nine prescription medications that you generally avoid mixing with weed (or at least talk to a professional about).

A note about drug interactions

The best advice? If you’re trying a new medication and decide to consume cannabis, listen to your body and talk to a doctor. Drug interactions are quite complicated. Not only might two substances interact with each other, but they may also interact with whatever anomalies you may have going on with your personal biochemistry.

For example, while one person may feel overly sedated after mixing cannabis with Ativan, another person may find that cannabis helps them lower their dose of the benzodiazepine or deal with difficult to manage side effects. If you’ve been consuming cannabis regularly, suddenly stopping once you start a new medication may result in some withdrawal symptoms. This could affect how you respond to a new medication. To avoid a bad time, it may be best to talk to a medical professional about gradually increasing your dose of a new medication and staying small with cannabis to see how the new drug cocktail makes you feel.The more drugs you add in, the more challenging things become. It’s important to note that the information presented in this article is far from complete and intended for educational purposes only. Always work with a medical professional when testing out new drug interactions. Having a terrible reaction? Call for emergency assistance.

1. Drugs containing propoxyphene

Back in 2010, the opioid painkiller propoxyphene was withdrawn from the U.S. market. The compound is known to be toxic to the heart, even in doses formerly considered therapeutic.However, if you happen to have any leftover propoxyphene medications, it is best to not use them. It’s also unwise to mix them with cannabis.
Drugs that contain propoxyphene include:

Balacet
Darvon (Compound 32, Compound 65, N)
Darvoset (N 100, A500, N 50)
PC-Cap
PP-Cap
Propacet 100
Propoxyphene Compound 65
Trycet
Wygesic

Symptoms to watch for:

Oversedation
Dizziness
Confusion
Difficulty concentrating
Impaired judgement
Impaired motor skills
Impaired thinking

These symptoms may be worse in the elderly.

2. Drugs that contain buprenorphine

Ironically, buprenorphine is an opioid pain medication that is also used to treat opioid addiction. As an opioid, this drug is also thought to have a high potential for addiction.In high doses, this drug can also cause respiratory distress, coma, and death. When combined with cannabis, the risk of these things increases, since both substances depress the central nervous system. Both buprenorphine and cannabis are sedatives which means the chance of being overly sedated with this combination is high.
Common drugs that contain buprenorphine include:

Butrans
Belbuca
Bunavail
Buprenex
Probuphine
Suboxone
Subutex
Zubslov

Some symptoms to watch for include:

Excessive sedation
Respiratory problems
Inability to stay awake
Difficulty controlling motor function
Slowed speech
Inability to perform cognitive tasks
Slowed or irregular heartbeat

If you have mixed buprenorphine and cannabis and are experiencing these symptoms, call for emergency help.

3. Drugs that contain levomethadyl acetate

Levomethadyl acetate is synthetic opioid painkiller similar to methadone. This drug is sold under the brand name Orlaam. Like other painkillers, this drug can cause some sedation. Mixing Orlaam with cannabis can be so sedative that it is uncomfortable and may even be physically dangerous.

Symptoms to watch for include:

Drowsiness or oversedation
Dizziness or lightheadedness
Confusion
Depression
Slow, shallow breathing
Poor motor coordination
Impaired thinking
Impaired judgement

4. Beta blockers

It’s generally thought that those with heart conditions should be extremely cautious with cannabis. Cannabis can cause blood pressure levels to fluctuate and heart rate, meaning that it might make some more sensitive to a heart attack. This is especially true for novice consumers. In regulars, cannabis may slow heart rate.Those taking beta blockers or other blood pressure medications should be particularly cautious, as both substances can have opposite effects on heart rate. Beta blockers reduce blood pressure but slow heart rate. In regular consumers, there’s a chance that cannabis may amplify the effects of beta blockers by having an additive effect on slowing heartbeat. Either way, it’s a tricky mix.
Common beta blockers include:

Sectral
Tenormin
Zebeta
Lopressor
Toprol-XL
Corgard
Bystolic
Inderal LA
InnoPran XL

Some symptoms to watch for include:

Feeling faint, fainting
Dizziness
Nausea
Irregular heartbeat
Shallow breathing
Fatigue
Confusion

5. Benzodiazepines

Benzodiazepines are powerful sedatives in their own right. While there are certainly a lot of people out there who mix benzos with cannabis, this can make for a powerful and uncomfortable experience. Common benzodiazepines include:

Ativan
Klonopin
Xanax

Both cannabis and benzodiazepine medications can have strong sedative effects on the brain, putting patients at risk of oversedation. Both compounds can have an effect on GABA, a calming neurotransmitter that dampens excitability in the brain. In general, mixing cannabis and benzodiazepines should be closely monitored. Similarly, patients may want to avoid mixing cannabis with other sedative medications like sleeping pills.

Oversedation
Slowed or slurred speech
Slowed motor skills
Driving impairment
Cognitive impairment
Constipation

6. SSRIs

Thus far, only minor interactions are noted for mixing cannabis with some of the most common SSRIs. Some evidence suggests that cannabis compounds may increase the effect of some SSRIs, like Prozac. Those with manic depression (bipolar disorder) or at risk for manic depression have reason to be more mindful of potential mood alterations when mixing these two types of medications.Both cannabis and SSRIs also increase serotonin. There is a potential risk developing sudden serotonin syndrome when combining these two drugs, but firm research on the subject is needed. Some common SSRIs include,

Lexapro
Prozac
Zoloft
Paxil

Symptoms to watch for:

Difficulty sleeping
Symptoms of mania
Agitation
Anxiety
Excessive paranoia
Rapid heart rate
Headache
Gastrointestinal distress
Mood variability and mood swings

7. SNRIs

Those taking another class of antidepressant drugs, SNRIs, may need to be mindful of cannabis consumption. Both SNRIs and cannabis can cause serotonin fluctuations, which may make you more likely to develop sudden serotonin syndrome or have other unwanted mood side effects. Further, some cannabis compounds may increase blood concentrations of antidepressant drugs. Though, there is little research on this topic. SNRI’s are also used to treat nerve pain.Some common SNRIs include:

Effexor
Cymbalta
Pristiq

Memory impairment
Confusion
Agitation
Paranoia
Rapid heart rate
Changes in blood pressure
Headache
Muscle twitching
Gastrointestinal distress

8. Antipsychotic medications

There is some evidence to suggest that cannabis may heighten the effect of certain antipsychotic drugs, like Seroquel and Abilify. Though, the significance of this is unknown. Some common antipsychotic medications include:

Seroquel
Abilify
Clozaril
Geodon
Zyprexa

Symptoms to watch for:

Excessive sedation
Slow motor skills
Decreased cognitive function
Confusion
Impaired driving

9. Sodium oxybate

Sodium oxybate is an anti-sleep medication that is often used to treat narcolepsy. When combined with cannabis, patients may risk depressing the central nervous system a little too much.
In the most severe cases, this may contribute to coma. Some symptoms to watch for include:

Dizziness or lightheadedness
Depression
Low blood pressure
Shallow breathing
Difficulty thinking
Impaired judgement
Impaired motor function
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 13):
GMO (Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am) • Budgie (Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:05 pm) • anova.330 (Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:12 pm) • Mrs Beefheart (Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:28 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:56 pm) • KD (Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:35 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:36 am) • Rawreefer (Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:53 am) • MommaB (Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:47 am) • Jayme Ream (Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:19 pm) • Ancient.Soul.Grown (Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:25 pm) • TommyT (Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:16 pm) • Ash (Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:40 pm)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
Budgie

Re: 9 prescription medicines to avoid using with cannabis

Post by Budgie »

Good info from the @Duke :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author Budgie for the post (total 3):
duke (Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:25 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:36 am) • anova.330 (Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:55 am)
Politicians are like nappies, both should be regularly changed for the same reason

anova.330
Respected Member

Post by anova.330 »

@duke Having MS I take pills on number seven number eight and number nine. As an FYI, I’m doubtful of the pills listed on number six as SSRI‘s. I think the warning label says they are similar to SSRI’s. I don’t know and I’m no expert just wanted to mention that.
These users thanked the author anova.330 for the post (total 3):
duke (Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:25 pm) • Budgie (Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:25 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:36 am)
#growingwitheagle #crystals #petioles #eagleproudwarriortheproject #weednerdworld
#potectDiscord

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

See this is why I don't trust doctors. When I was at my worst with anxiety and panic attacks, they prescribed me Benzodiazepines and SSRIs and I hated every second I had to take them... so I started smoking hash while I weaned myself off them. Although my GP warned me not to stop taking them, infact she wanted to up my dose, she never once warned me not to smoke weed at all even though I told her what I was doing. My psychologist told me that if it helps me sleep and feel better then carry on, again... not warning me it could be dangerous. I'm only an active member of society because i stopped taking those pills and looked to weed for help. Without CBD stuff, I'd be a zombie incapable of feeling anything or a wreck incapable of leaving the house. Fuck pharma meds! (For my own personal case at least anyway)
These users thanked the author KD for the post (total 2):
The Aspie Toker (Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:35 am) • anova.330 (Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:57 am)

Growmie

Post by Growmie »

KD wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:47 pm
See this is why I don't trust doctors. When I was at my worst with anxiety and panic attacks, they prescribed me Benzodiazepines and SSRIs and I hated every second I had to take them... so I started smoking hash while I weaned myself off them. Although my GP warned me not to stop taking them, infact she wanted to up my dose, she never once warned me not to smoke weed at all even though I told her what I was doing. My psychologist told me that if it helps me sleep and feel better then carry on, again... not warning me it could be dangerous. I'm only an active member of society because i stopped taking those pills and looked to weed for help. Without CBD stuff, I'd be a zombie incapable of feeling anything or a wreck incapable of leaving the house. Fuck pharma meds! (For my own personal case at least anyway)
Everytime I read your posts about stuff like this, I feel like I could have been the one writing it brother. Although unfortunately benzos are the only thing getting me through the day and havnt even been able to touch weed in over a month due to everything.
Really do need to get my hands on some CBD stuff for sure, I really hope it works for me as well as it has you because at the moment I'm in the "wreck incapable of leaving the house category"
These users thanked the author Growmie for the post (total 2):
KD (Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:19 pm) • anova.330 (Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:41 pm)

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

Growmie wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:05 am
KD wrote:
Everytime I read your posts about stuff like this, I feel like I could have been the one writing it brother. Although unfortunately benzos are the only thing getting me through the day and havnt even been able to touch weed in over a month due to everything.
Really do need to get my hands on some CBD stuff for sure, I really hope it works for me as well as it has you because at the moment I'm in the "wreck incapable of leaving the house category"
I really hope it works for you mate. I'm running low on mine so when I get that ball of anxiety building in my chest, I'll have a smoke of CBD buds and feel fine again for a few days. Just be careful with it cause of the benzies. Go slow and stop if you feel wrong. Maybe try hash instead of bud too. It's only THC green that triggers my anxiety.
Growmie (Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:35 pm) • anova.330 (Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:42 pm)

Growmie

Post by Growmie »

KD wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:28 pm
Growmie wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:05 am
KD wrote:
I really hope it works for you mate. I'm running low on mine so when I get that ball of anxiety building in my chest, I'll have a smoke of CBD buds and feel fine again for a few days. Just be careful with it cause of the benzies. Go slow and stop if you feel wrong. Maybe try hash instead of bud too. It's only THC green that triggers my anxiety.
Thanks brother, I do also. Problem is, my anxiety and panic is constant so I have to take the benzos to even semi-function at the moment. A bit worried about becoming reliant but needs must and all that.
I couldn't even get hash if I wanted to mate, I'm actually trying to find some CBD bud online as we speak as I'm willing to try anything at this point, although wouldn't be able to order it for a while anyway.
As I said, not even been able to smoke in about a month and even having a cigarette spins me out.
These users thanked the author Growmie for the post (total 2):
Budgie (Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:46 pm) • KD (Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:38 am)

anova.330
Respected Member

Post by anova.330 »

Here’s my experience with number six to cure anxiety.

Paxil. After taking this for 30 days, I could start to smell the air again, start to breathe freely, but it didn’t end there. After 90 days, I felt like a new person. The one side effect was I could not wake up from a sleep. Took me forever to get past that but this pill definitely save my life at one point.

Lexapro. I took this much later in life. It quickly made me a zombie and after about a week I moved to something else.

I was on Paxil for quite a few years. If one of these does work then you’re lucky but when it doesn’t work you have to try another.
These users thanked the author anova.330 for the post (total 2):
Growmie (Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:45 pm) • Budgie (Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:46 pm)

Growmie

Post by Growmie »

anova.330 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:42 pm

Paxil. After taking this for 30 days, I could start to smell the air again, start to breathe freely, but it didn’t end there. After 90 days, I felt like a new person. The one side effect was I could not wake up from a sleep. Took me forever to get past that but this pill definitely save my life at one point.

Lexapro. I took this much later in life. It quickly made me a zombie and after about a week I moved to something else.

I was on Paxil for quite a few years. If one of these does work then you’re lucky but when it doesn’t work you have to try another.

Cycled through the lot mate, SSRIs, snris, trycilics. Only escitalopram did anything half decent but came with its only set of problems. Never tried paxil though so maybe one to ask about, although my body doesn't respond well to SSRIs most of the time.
These users thanked the author Growmie for the post:
anova.330 (Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:18 am)

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

Growmie wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:46 pm
anova.330 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:42 pm

Cycled through the lot mate, SSRIs, snris, trycilics. Only escitalopram did anything half decent but came with its only set of problems. Never tried paxil though so maybe one to ask about, although my body doesn't respond well to SSRIs most of the time.
Yeah I started on alprazolam (xanax) which was amazing at first... But soon wore off in effectiveness... So then they upped my dose of alprazolam and started me on escitralopram. That's when shit hit the fan. Had to stop working... Kept getting panic attacks still although I could sleep now so they upped the dose again. The dickhead doctor didn't tell me any side effects or anything though so I googled them one night and was like SHIIIIIIT. I'd just found out I couldn't just stop taking them by this point so spoke to my doc who referred me to a psychologist and upped my meds again! I realised I wasnt feeling anything anymore, and decided to stop taking them. Weaned myself off them over a month or so and my mate, who also has anxiety, gave me some hash to help me through the withdrawals. Best thing ever because not only did that help me sleep, it calmed my mind in the day too and didn't trigger anxiety at all.

Sorted, I'll just start smoking weed again right? Hell no! THC raises my heart rate too much which makes my head think I'm having a panic attack, that then triggers a panic attack and a whirlpool of out of control, worst case scenario thought loops. Throw in some uncontrollable crying and hyperventilation and you've basically entered a state of absolute hell for those that don't know what it's like. It's awful!

So @Growmie why am I telling you what you already know?

CBD hits different. The first time I tried it, I got a slight head buzz and thought "great... Here we go" then nothing! I sat and smoked a whole joint of it and cried with happiness because not only did I physically feel like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders... It was like all my stress had melted off me, my body and mind relaxed for the first time in ages, and I just felt like I'd slipped into a nice hot bath for an hour to chill. For someone who's mind refuses to relax because of the amount of shit that's been thrown at it... This was the absolute best feeling in the world. Please please talk to your doctor about CBD and coming off the pills and start off with a 1:20 THC/CBD if you can. I'm working my way towards a stronger ratio of 1:1 but I'm enjoying life again.

You're going to have heard this a million times but it's all in your head... Which means you CAN control it yourself. I've started a new job as a chef and I'm having to learn everything from scratch and the anxiety hits hard when those orders fly in but I have to have a word with myself and sort of say "go away" to that feeling and focus on what needs doing. It's always there but the CBD deffo helps.

Feel free to DM me if you want to talk about anything... Ever! It doesn't matter how big or small it is, if you need to vent, I got you dude! Talking helps too.
anova.330 (Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:18 am) • Growmie (Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:25 pm)

Return to “Medical Cannabis”