76%
Regular
24%

Total votes: 25

Greenfingers
Known User

Re: Fem Or Reg...

Post by Greenfingers »

Fems for me as ive never had the spare room .

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
The Daze
Known User

Post by The Daze »

Im using mostly feminized seeds currently

I do collect unique genetics of regular cultivars to hang onto…

For growing — I currently use autoflowers but my next run is a line of feminized seeds
✨✨✨🌱🌱🌻💛🌻🌱🌱✨✨✨
we are on our way to growing beautiful cannabis
Be Well. Keep it Green. Blessed by Cannabis.
Our Current Garden:
NEW GROW SOON
|*Latest Grow Out*|

🌈💚🌻🌱🌈

Sage
Respected Member

Post by Sage »

Fems only due to lack of space once I can grow outside legally situationally either or.
Anyone that has time for drama is not gardening enough.

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

It's a good question, I often ponder this one.

The short answer is I grow both, fems and regulars....but if I could only choose one it would be regular seeds. All of my keeper cuts have come from regular seed. Not sure if that's an accident or not.

Like everything it comes down to what your goals are. Me personally...I'm trying to find the strongest, most special outliers of cannabis genetics in the world. Because that's my goal...I'm happy to go search through regular seeds, as regular seeds are going to give me greater diversity/range of genetics to search through. Feminized seeds only have XX chromosomes (1 female stressed to produce male flowers used to pollenate a 2nd identical female clone = XX) where regulars seeds have XY chromosomes (old fashioned female & male gene crossing = XY). Therefore, regular seeds are more likely to give me a greater genetic variation to search through. Obviously the pro of feminized seeds, is your more likely to have offspring that are similar (homozygous = having two identical alleles of a particular gene or genes). Which may be a good thing, if your trying to find offspring that's similar to just the mother, you have limited space and cant be bothered with lots of plants to take care of. But you wont get to see as great a range of genetic diversity. This doesn't mean that you wont get potent seeds from feminized seeds, if you start with a potent mum clones to feminize you will...but you will not get to see what happens when you cross a potent mum with an equally or more potent father, this you can only get from regular seeds. Because of this I believe you get a greater range and are more likely to find a truly special outlier nobody else as ever seen before but you.

But lets me honest, regular seeds are much more work them feminized seed. Regular seeds you need to grow a lot more of them and need space. Fem seeds you just pop and go. Regular seeds you have to grow and sex first, which yes does take more work & if you get lazy can pollenate you room...but I reckon the juice is worth the squeeze. That's me though, because my personal goal is the exceptional not just the OK.

What I do these days is I pop a lot of fem seeds so that I can get a feel for the genetics of a certain cultivar. Its a great way to improve your pallet, you can quickly experience different plant structures and terps growing out 4 different fem seeds at a time for instance. Then If I like it I will grab a pack of regular seeds. I did this with SAGE from TH seeds, popped a 3 pack of fems and got a beauty. So I grabbed a 10 pack of regular seeds to hunt through.

Honestly I don't think its a simple as fems vs regulars. Both have pros and cons depending on what your goals are and should be selected on that basis. Oooffff that was a long winded answer apologies...
These users thanked the author Cave Hill Cole for the post (total 4):
Guest (Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:26 am) • GMO (Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:06 am) • Finchmad_79 (Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:39 am) • Rawreefer (Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:28 am)
Weed will get me through times of no money, better than money will get me through times of no weed - Robert Sabbag, Smoke Screen

Post by Guest »

@Cave Hill Cole

That makes sense. You've got me all excited about popping the regs I have stashed away.

Nice explanation dude.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
Cave Hill Cole (Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:42 am)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

In an ideal world with plenty of growing space I'd pip for regs and I'll be doing regs for a bit later in the year. But, fems have their place in many circumstances. If the was a vote for both I'd click that. I may be very wrong but something tells me regs are more likely to be stronger and more stable aswel

TommyT
Known User

Post by TommyT »

Fems for me. I grow one mom and clone the heck out of her. That way I know they are all females.
The only reason I would do regulars would be to make a bunch of seeds.
Purple Punch From Seedstockers
The other day when I was high I solved one of the world's greatest problems.
Unfortunately five minutes later I forgot what I was doing.

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

I like regs for hunting stuff and making my own beans.

I like fems for growing dope too and they get hit with pollen if there's a decent male knocking about.

I'm low on space for the next few grows so it's fems for me, can't be dealing with a sausage fest in the closet.

Utter bollocks about regs being "stronger plants".

Return to “Area 420”