Newb and ridiculous pollen chucker question...

Cannabis breeding and related discussions
Tictok
Known User

Newb and ridiculous pollen chucker question...

Post by Tictok »

Hey GR420

I think this is a really stupid question,.

I have some reg seeds of a line I really want to keep going. I could do the perpetual cut thing of constantly taking clones but I'd love to make some seeds.

I have a 60 x 120 flower tent (and a 60 x 60 veg tent) that often has up to 4 plants at various stages of flower and often different strains.

If I was to stick a male in there, is it a simple guarantee that when pollen drops the whole tent will be open pollinated? Or is there some genius way with this set up that I can somehow harvest some pollen from the males for future use, without pollinating everything in there?

My thoughts were maybe leave putting in a male until flowering has nearly done? I don't know how long males take to drop?

Can I somehow remove the flowering male before pollen drops and gets blown everywhere?

I'm clutching at straws I know but any ideas would be appreciated.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post:
Dex (Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:49 am)

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Re: Newb and ridiculous pollen chucker question...

Post by bigbadbillybob »

if you put a male in there everything will get pollenated, and your next grow, and the grow after that etc etc.
dont do it. if you want to do some pollen chucking, get a seperate tent, make sure its far far away from your feminisd tent and change clothing and wash between going from one tent to the other, or stuff will get seeded.

ive been doing some breeding, its taken me months and if im honest, i wont be doing it again, its a pain in the arse, and people thinking they will stumble across the next "stardawg, blueberry wedding cake or whatever " etc, are just kidding themselves imho
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post (total 2):
Tictok (Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:21 am) • Minty (Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:36 am)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

bigbadbillybob wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:51 pm
if you put a male in there everything will get pollenated, and your next grow, and the grow after that etc etc.
dont do it. if you want to do some pollen chucking, get a seperate tent, make sure its far far away from your feminisd tent and change clothing and wash between going from one tent to the other, or stuff will get seeded.

ive been doing some breeding, its taken me months and if im honest, i wont be doing it again, its a pain in the arse, and people thinking they will stumble across the next "stardawg, blueberry wedding cake or whatever " etc, are just kidding themselves imho
Thanks, I thought as much! This is good advice.

I think I'll take cuts of males and females of this line until I can flower both out at the same time without anything else in there, specifically for a seed run. Then wash the tent out within an inch of it's life!
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post:

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Hey @Tictok,

@Dex has a real interesting thread on creating feminised seeds if you haven't already seen it - well worth a read.
These users thanked the author Minty for the post:

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Minty wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:39 am
Hey @Tictok,

@Dex has a real interesting thread on creating feminised seeds if you haven't already seen it - well worth a read.
Good man @minty, that might be the way forward.

Those animal cookies grow outs have been looking great.

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Tictok wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:00 am
Those animal cookies grow outs have been looking great.
My two have just germinated and heads above jiffy cube now - can't wait to see how they turn out.
These users thanked the author Minty for the post:
Tictok (Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:11 am)

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

Tictok wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:42 pm
Hey GR420

I have some reg seeds of a line I really want to keep going. I could do the perpetual cut thing of constantly taking clones but I'd love to make some seeds.

I have a 60 x 120 flower tent (and a 60 x 60 veg tent) that often has up to 4 plants at various stages of flower and often different strains.

If I was to stick a male in there, is it a simple guarantee that when pollen drops the whole tent will be open pollinated? Or is there some genius way with this set up that I can somehow harvest some pollen from the males for future use, without pollinating everything in there?

My thoughts were maybe leave putting in a male until flowering has nearly done? I don't know how long males take to drop?

Can I somehow remove the flowering male before pollen drops and gets blown everywhere?

Hey buddy making fems off regs is best way forward if you like the strain, and if you put the male with female its a good thing for open pollination

The thing is you could make the next star dawg or what ever else because its how other pro breeders do but they have a thing called pheno hunting and selection but you could do that if you have the space

For example I would grow a few of the females you intend to polinate, then find the best female you thought was worth it in that tent, ie smell, growth and all that good stuff

And if your lucky to have a few males of the intended strain pick one with best smell and short ish nodes then put that male with the wanted female ...

You could just collect pollen from the male which normally takes 6 weeks is so before the pollen drops and keep it

But with keeping pollen you have to be sharp and quick and follow a few rules to not destroy your pollen..

and some cases pollen can be good for a year or so but for me i find the way i keep pollen lasts for a few months less than half a year...

So the options are endless and I know someone you could ask better about this because he does what your asking about in his tent and been having some intresting crosses @Marcus is the man...

I'm sure he is currently growing somthing that he created I have a few seeds of his crosses but haven't got around to grow em yet...

Good luck and don't be put down by reading things the way i see it try and see your luck, if first cross you made doesn't look good after 5 seeds of it being grown use the seeds for breakfast it's healthy

Try second time and see what you get....

I can guarantee it will be better than first because you will see the parents in the seeds you made :D

Good luck buddy
These users thanked the author Dex for the post (total 4):
Tictok (Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:58 am) • TommyT (Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:23 pm) • Minty (Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:11 pm) • Marcus (Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:29 am)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Dex wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:59 am
Tictok wrote:
Hey GR420

Hey buddy making fems off regs is best way forward if you like the strain, and if you put the male with female its a good thing for open pollination

The thing is you could make the next star dawg or what ever else because its how other pro breeders do but they have a thing called pheno hunting and selection but you could do that if you have the space

For example I would grow a few of the females you intend to polinate, then find the best female you thought was worth it in that tent, ie smell, growth and all that good stuff

And if your lucky to have a few males of the intended strain pick one with best smell and short ish nodes then put that male with the wanted female ...

You could just collect pollen from the male which normally takes 6 weeks is so before the pollen drops and keep it

But with keeping pollen you have to be sharp and quick and follow a few rules to not destroy your pollen..

and some cases pollen can be good for a year or so but for me i find the way i keep pollen lasts for a few months less than half a year...

So the options are endless and I know someone you could ask better about this because he does what your asking about in his tent and been having some intresting crosses @Marcus is the man...

I'm sure he is currently growing somthing that he created I have a few seeds of his crosses but haven't got around to grow em yet...

Good luck and don't be put down by reading things the way i see it try and see your luck, if first cross you made doesn't look good after 5 seeds of it being grown use the seeds for breakfast it's healthy

I can guarantee it will be better than first because you will see the parents in the seeds you made :D

Good luck buddy
Brilliant Dex, thank you for taking the time to write all that, great advice.

It's really important for me to keep the strain going and I think I'm going to just go for the open pollination. From the beans I have, they are a 3 x backcrossed line anyway so should be consistent and I think I have a couple of makes and a female in veg, with another seedling on the way.

My concern was I'm flowering out a bunch of different stuff currently and didn't want to screw that up with seeded bud. The solution I think is to take cuts of the males and females to buy enough time to just be running this strain alone in the tent. Then I'm happy to open pollinate and can time things better.

Thanks for the advice, you've given me preservation hope!
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 2):
Dex (Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:43 pm) • Minty (Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:11 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Collect pollen from from male and get a cotton bud and just dab lower down a bud or two with plenty of pollen and most of plant will produce buddage but those pollinated buds will produce seeds. Cover over the pollinated buds with a plastic sandwich bag for a few days till shit settles down and then remove it, doing that should produce seeds in specific place on your plants, i know 1 or 2 peeps who have done seeds like this. :)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Dex (Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:52 pm) • Minty (Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:11 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

Tictok wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:57 am
Dex wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:59 am
Tictok wrote:
Hey GR420

Good luck buddy
Brilliant Dex, thank you for taking the time to write all that, great advice.

It's really important for me to keep the strain going and I think I'm going to just go for the open pollination. From the beans I have, they are a 3 x backcrossed line anyway so should be consistent and I think I have a couple of makes and a female in veg, with another seedling on the way.

My concern was I'm flowering out a bunch of different stuff currently and didn't want to screw that up with seeded bud. The solution I think is to take cuts of the males and females to buy enough time to just be running this strain alone in the tent. Then I'm happy to open pollinate and can time things better.

Thanks for the advice, you've given me preservation hope!
No worries buddy and just a fyi I'm no pro so my advice is alright not good lmao

This is from my experiments so not sure how it go for you ...

When I made fems or what ever i had them all in the same room flowering fems in one tent on the east wall and either reversing female or a cool dude on the west wall in a tent as long as you have ( - )pressure on both tents and a filter your all good

What I did to stop me from shifting pollen on clothing was sort the fems tent first then im happy I'll go and sort the seed pollen full tent..

And when collecting pollen do the same and try collect pollen while in the pollen rich tent....

I found that pollen is very very fine dust some of it is little heavier but mostly very light so as long as say a 5inch extractor is attached to filter it should pull nearly all the floating pollen in the fikter which should have clear it for you ...

But make sure you sort the fems tent first buddy ... and you should be dandy or your plan is sound too buddy :D
These users thanked the author Dex for the post:
Tictok (Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:06 pm)

Return to “Cannabis Breeding”