Newb and ridiculous pollen chucker question...

Cannabis breeding and related discussions
2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Re: Newb and ridiculous pollen chucker question...

Post by 2-Scoops »

I think ive seen pollen for sale now @Dex i`m pretty sure it was on Zamnesia weed seeds site, iff not ive seen it for sale, pretty cool i thought.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Minty (Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:16 pm) • Dex (Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:22 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Philzon   Vape4Ever
bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

yeah, ive sen it for sale too, but its fricken expensive, and i would have doubts about its viability if it wasnt frozen etc.
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post (total 3):
2-Scoops (Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:33 pm) • Minty (Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:16 pm) • Dex (Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:21 pm)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Dex wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:51 pm
Tictok wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:57 am
Dex wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:59 am

Hey buddy making fems off regs is best way forward if you like the strain, and if you put the male with female its a good thing for open pollination

The thing is you could make the next star dawg or what ever else because its how other pro breeders do but they have a thing called pheno hunting and selection but you could do that if you have the space

For example I would grow a few of the females you intend to polinate, then find the best female you thought was worth it in that tent, ie smell, growth and all that good stuff

And if your lucky to have a few males of the intended strain pick one with best smell and short ish nodes then put that male with the wanted female ...

You could just collect pollen from the male which normally takes 6 weeks is so before the pollen drops and keep it

But with keeping pollen you have to be sharp and quick and follow a few rules to not destroy your pollen..

and some cases pollen can be good for a year or so but for me i find the way i keep pollen lasts for a few months less than half a year...

So the options are endless and I know someone you could ask better about this because he does what your asking about in his tent and been having some intresting crosses @Marcus is the man...

I'm sure he is currently growing somthing that he created I have a few seeds of his crosses but haven't got around to grow em yet...

Good luck and don't be put down by reading things the way i see it try and see your luck, if first cross you made doesn't look good after 5 seeds of it being grown use the seeds for breakfast it's healthy

Try second time and see what you get....

I can guarantee it will be better than first because you will see the parents in the seeds you made :D

Good luck buddy
Brilliant Dex, thank you for taking the time to write all that, great advice.

It's really important for me to keep the strain going and I think I'm going to just go for the open pollination. From the beans I have, they are a 3 x backcrossed line anyway so should be consistent and I think I have a couple of makes and a female in veg, with another seedling on the way.

My concern was I'm flowering out a bunch of different stuff currently and didn't want to screw that up with seeded bud. The solution I think is to take cuts of the males and females to buy enough time to just be running this strain alone in the tent. Then I'm happy to open pollinate and can time things better.

Thanks for the advice, you've given me preservation hope!
No worries buddy and just a fyi I'm no pro so my advice is alright not good lmao

This is from my experiments so not sure how it go for you ...

When I made fems or what ever i had them all in the same room flowering fems in one tent on the east wall and either reversing female or a cool dude on the west wall in a tent as long as you have ( - )pressure on both tents and a filter your all good

What I did to stop me from shifting pollen on clothing was sort the fems tent first then im happy I'll go and sort the seed pollen full tent..

And when collecting pollen do the same and try collect pollen while in the pollen rich tent....

I found that pollen is very very fine dust some of it is little heavier but mostly very light so as long as say a 5inch extractor is attached to filter it should pull nearly all the floating pollen in the fikter which should have clear it for you ...

But make sure you sort the fems tent first buddy ... and you should be dandy or your plan is sound too buddy :D
Thanks man, I hear ya. I'm going to try both the feminising and an open pollination at some point. Just got to grow them all out first, take cuts and organise a plan if action. They are a rare pure NL5 and I've only got 5 regs!
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 2):
2-Scoops (Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:33 pm) • Dex (Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:22 pm)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 am
Tictok wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:42 pm

If I was to stick a male in there, is it a simple guarantee that when pollen drops the whole tent will be open pollinated? Or is there some genius way with this set up that I can somehow harvest some pollen from the males for future use, without pollinating everything in there?

My thoughts were maybe leave putting in a male until flowering has nearly done? I don't know how long males take to drop?

Can I somehow remove the flowering male before pollen drops and gets blown everywhere?
Hi Ticky-tocky.

Yes, if you leave a male in the tent the whole lot gets pollinated. :oik!:

Males (in my experience) always show before females, so real easy to run regs and pull them for seedless grows.

Yes, you can leave the male in at the start of flower for an few days and then pull him and you should have seeds on the calyxes on the stalks when the plant is cooked and your bud should be clean of any seeds. (Again, in my experience... I do it and don;t have any seeded bud issues)

You can pull the male out when he starts to open up his flowers and keep him in a sunny spot in the house for a week or two, cut all his balls off, dry them in an envelope on the windowsill, shake it all about to open the sacks, then dust buds and branches with an ear bud further down the line.
Just take the plant to be dusted to the pollen, out of the tent. When dusted, give her a shake and back in the tent. No need for bags on branches etc, I've never had other plants or branches seeded by doing this. If worried, a quick spritz of plain old tap water around the tent then on the plants will make sure the pollen won;t fuck anything else up.

Seeds take around 4 weeks to be done from pollination, so work out when to dust from there if you want to hit branches and buds.

As I say, I prefer to hit em at the start of flower. If the dope is good, then I got a back up of that plant's genetics in the seed tin then (only a coupld dozen beans usually). I really cannot be arsed with keeping moms, seeds are easier for me. I find the seeds at jarring up time when I take everything off the stalks. Might find the odd one on the base of a bud now and again after curing, but them beans get slung in the pick n mix tub - of which I'm running a dozen beans now. :oik!: I like a nice surprise. :morning:

bigbadbillybob wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:51 pm
if you put a male in there everything will get pollenated, and your next grow, and the grow after that etc etc.
No it won't. If it does, you got other problems.

Pollen only stays viable in the air for a matter of days. It's real difficult to keep it viable stored correctly for a month or two.

I always wash my dust cover on the carbon filter between grows and wipe the walls down with some 70% ISO. Stops bacteria/pathogens and takes a matter of seconds to do.

:idn:
Hey Marcus

Good to hear from you man. Brilliant advice as always, love the idea of taking the male out the tent until it drops, this I will definitely do.

Thanks again.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 3):
Marcus (Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:13 pm) • Dex (Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:08 am) • Minty (Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 pm)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:23 pm
Tictok wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:05 pm

Hey Marcus

Good to hear from you man. Brilliant advice as always, love the idea of taking the male out the tent until it drops, this I will definitely do.

Thanks again.
:oik!:

No worries Tick of the Tock.

I just leave him in a sunny spot in the conservatory or kitchen depending how big he is.

Cut the balls off just as they look ready to open or are open, I fold up a piece of A4 printer paper into an envelope type shape and snip them off into that. Ends folder over BTW.
Then just fold the top over and stick it on the windowsill to dry out. Repeat every few days, you'll see loads of yellow powder start appearing in the paper. Make sure you fold the top over and the ends and shake it up. MORE YELLOW POWDER!

Decant into seed vials... I get another piece of A4, fold it down the middle and dump the contents on this as the folded ends of the other paper make it difficult to get into vials... , then with tweezers get the ball sacks out of there and swear a lot at trying to get the pollen into a small seed vial with the fresh A4 paper, so then go get a bigger seed vial and swear a bit more. :oik!:

Or, just dip a cotton bud into the yellow stuff and dust away the branches. :dance:
Superb, thanks Marcus.

I think everyone on here saves months of trial and error just from one of your posts. Much respect.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:46 pm) • Minty (Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:43 pm)

Return to “Cannabis Breeding”