Purple Bud x Blue Dream = ???

Cannabis breeding and related discussions
KD
Known User

Purple Bud x Blue Dream = ???

Post by KD »

So two plants I've grow in the past few years have really stuck out something special to me. That would be Sensi Seeds Purple Bud for the looks, smell and flavour and Humbolt Seeds Blue Dream for the insane amount of frost I got on her and the potency.

Now... I only have 1 Blue Dream seed and 2 Purple Bud seeds.

Both are feminized

What I want to know is this...

If I make S1 seeds from both strains, how will the offspring turn out? Pretty close to the original or varying in phenotypes?

If they're pretty close to the original mothers, would I then be able to cross them both with each other using reversed S1s to try to find what I'm after?

If they vary in phenotypes, would making S2, S3, S4 & S5 plants stabilise them to the point their offspring would be like the originals?

Would the resulting cross then vary in phenotypes wildly?
These users thanked the author KD for the post:
Guest (Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:15 am)

Philzon   Vape4Ever
seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Purple Bud x Blue Dream = ???

Post by seymore_budz »

You can't really tell IMO. Breeders sometimes use S1 for different things. I watched a talk on YouTube where some breeder of commercial cannabis was saying he uses s1 to try and ascertain what potential expressions could a parent show because S1 could potentially unlock dormant traits. And show how stable a plant could be.

It's a bit of a guessing game though. If it was reliable then breeders wouldn't struggle to lock in though classic traits like the famous UK cheese flavours into a seed that produced a similar result everything. Lots of taboo around S1 seeds but at the same time, people are growing seeds that have been produced by S1 stock so I don't think the practice will weaken anything. Just don't expect to plant those seeds and get the same results.

I has a great Power plant pheno back in the late 90s/ early 00s and it was a bit ropey so I had a go at making some seeds by stressing the plant. To my surprise that worked worked the seeds were great. Very healthy and produced plants similar to the parent and not much issues with hermies. I tried the same years later on a Sirius skunk plant but this time using STS spray. The offspring were way off the mark and most of them produced a plant that was nothing like the parent and most took on this tall sativa looking trait that had a peppery sandalwood flavour when the mother was a short, stocky plant with a beautiful skunk/sweet smell and taste. Some were kind of like the parent but none were worth keeping so I cut my losses and moved on.

I don't really understand breeding and only have messed about really but from my experiences, S1 is a lottery :) Knock-up/buy some silver spray and give it a whirl. You'll have a lot of fun and might produce sometime phenomenal.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
Guest (Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:18 am) • Nom (Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:20 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

I've read a lot of conflicting info but I have seen that S1 plants can show all the possible phenols in the original mother due to something I can't remember right now lol I want to say it's alelle recombination but that could be utter bollocks.

The main thing I want is to keep the Blue Dream genetics as close to the original plant. Might have a go at backcrossing the offspring to the original mother if I can keep her alive long enough. This is gonna be a tough project eh. Especially given I'm gonna be using zero male plants.
These users thanked the author KD for the post (total 2):
seymore_budz (Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 am) • Guest (Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:18 am)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

KD wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:21 am
I've read a lot of conflicting info but I have seen that S1 plants can show all the possible phenols in the original mother due to something I can't remember right now lol I want to say it's alelle recombination but that could be utter bollocks.

The main thing I want is to keep the Blue Dream genetics as close to the original plant. Might have a go at backcrossing the offspring to the original mother if I can keep her alive long enough. This is gonna be a tough project eh. Especially given I'm gonna be using zero male plants.
From what I read previously, to lock in those traits it takes few generations and you need to grow a lot of plants to increase your chances of success. Check this link for an overview of what to expect.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ap- ... d-his-peas
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
KD (Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:49 pm)

Post by Guest »

I am currently growing a bag seed from my Rainbow Candy, as I loved it so much I was hoping to find one that I could clone and keep a mother (not that it's anything to do with this KD) but I find all this very interesting. I would love to do a little breeding and playing around.

Doesn't the silver spray cause breathing probs though if you're not protected.....??????!!!!!!!!! @seymore_budz

I can feel a lovely cross way of rabbit holes coming :lol:
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
seymore_budz (Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:20 am) • KD (Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:49 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:22 am
I am currently growing a bag seed from my Rainbow Candy, as I loved it so much I was hoping to find one that I could clone and keep a mother (not that it's anything to do with this KD) but I find all this very interesting. I would love to do a little breeding and playing around.

Doesn't the silver spray cause breathing probs though if you're not protected.....??????!!!!!!!!! @seymore_budz

Yup STS is an irritant and can cause respiratory problems so use the correct PPE before spraying anything.

I'd love to have more room to play. I live in rented accommodation ATM so tents is the best it's going to get but if I do manage to buy somewhere nice I would 100% go back to a whole room/outbuilding and play with some breeding. I do the odd pollen chucking now and have some of my own F1/F2 seeds but they're not stable and have quite a big variation between phenotypes.

I think S1 got a bad name from the old school approach to feminising where breeders would seek out those plants that would turn easily to produce the most amount of seeds. Unfortunately, that would lead to unwanted traits like offspring that would grow a dick even if you looked at it the wrong way.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
Guest (Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:26 pm) • KD (Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:50 pm)

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

seymore_budz wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:28 am
KD wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:21 am

From what I read previously, to lock in those traits it takes few generations and you need to grow a lot of plants to increase your chances of success. Check this link for an overview of what to expect.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ap- ... d-his-peas
Cheers mate. I've just got in so ill look into that in a bit. Problem I've got is I won't have any males to breed Fs with. They'll all be Ss if you get me. Dunno if what I'm trying to achieve is even possible. I could... I think... Backcross to a mother with feminised pollen but I've got very limited space to grow out offspring. I think that's what's stopped me breeding in the past.
DIY.Rik wrote:

Nah its all relevant mate. Breeding is super interesting I think. However... Bag seeds usually come from a plant that's hermied under normal growing conditions so I wouldn't really want to have those genetics in my pool but experiment with it all the same. Giz a tag in any breeding threads you start too.
seymore_budz wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:28 am
DIY.Rik wrote:

Yup STS is an irritant and can cause respiratory problems so use the correct PPE before spraying anything.

I'd love to have more room to play. I live in rented accommodation ATM so tents is the best it's going to get but if I do manage to buy somewhere nice I would 100% go back to a whole room/outbuilding and play with some breeding. I do the odd pollen chucking now and have some of my own F1/F2 seeds but they're not stable and have quite a big variation between phenotypes.

I think S1 got a bad name from the old school approach to feminising where breeders would seek out those plants that would turn easily to produce the most amount of seeds. Unfortunately, that would lead to unwanted traits like offspring that would grow a dick even if you looked at it the wrong way.
Yeah that's my thoughts too. From what I've read, stable genetics used to make S1s SHOULD produce seeds that are super close to the original mother. I've also read that you can get all the different phenotypical expressions shown amongst different plants that are contained in the mothers gene pool. Maybe trying some of the old skool strains like white rhino would work well. I don't really want to waste my time and money producing garbage though.

I just found a copy of Greg greens cannabis breeding bible on my phone lol Guess I've started this rabbit hole before lol
These users thanked the author KD for the post (total 2):
seymore_budz (Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:07 pm) • Guest (Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:27 pm)

Post by Guest »

I always think crossing the old skool strains with something new would come up with something different?

Also added a post here earlier about some CBG seeds I have off some hemp buds. I was thinking about crossing more CBD high strains into the higher THC types.

Post by Guest »

KD wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:00 pm
I just found a copy of Greg greens cannabis breeding bible on my phone lol Guess I've started this rabbit hole before lol
I may look into that. I have loads to read already though :lol:

Is it any good or can't you remember much....?
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
KD (Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:21 am)

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:39 pm
KD wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:00 pm
I may look into that. I have loads to read already though :lol:

Is it any good or can't you remember much....?
I don't remember reading it before but I started last night before bed and it's very informative so far. Like, did you know they classified cannabis as Cannabis Sativa L. Because they didn't realise there were 3 different species at the time, and technically, indica, Sativa and ruderalis strains shouldn't be able to interbreed with fertile offspring... Yet they can! And technically, legally... Its only Cannabis Sativa L that's illegal. Haven't got onto the actual breeding bit yet but it looks good so far
These users thanked the author KD for the post:
Guest (Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:23 pm)

Return to “Cannabis Breeding”