Welcome to the cannabis science and research section. This section is here to discuss scientific ideas, applications and ideas regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

To flush or not? Flush! Here's why....

Cannabis research, studies & results
Josh
GR420 Leg End

To flush or not? Flush! Here's why....

Post by Josh »

Hey everyone, gonna dive into a heated topic and share my experience with y'all

https://hightimes.com/grow/new-research ... necessary/

So after reading this article (should have known better) I decided to feed some plants all the way until chop, at 1.0 EC

According to the article, blind taste/smoke tests were done and people couldn't decipher between flushed and unflushed weed. In fact, they even said that most people prefered the unflushed...

Now let's think about this for a minute... Why would a nutrient company go out of their way to sponsor a study, to try and disprove flushing??
To suck even more money out of our pockets, that's why!

After 10 days of hang drying and a week in jars, I was left with the worst tasting/smelling bud I've ever grown. Joints won't stay lit, ash as black as night

Please folks, flush your salt grown plants and don't even think twice. I took one for the team so you don't have to happy growing

ALSO! I never flush my organic soil grown plants and they always come out delicious, unnecessary in soil in my opinion

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Josh for the post (total 12):
Minty (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:16 pm) • flip (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:29 pm) • Marcus (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:36 pm) • Nanook (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:40 pm) • GMO (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:48 pm) • Elijah Growz (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:58 pm) • Hydro (Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:03 pm) • TTL (Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:18 pm) • Smelierjoint (Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:56 am) • Nom (Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:34 pm) • PaleoCannabica (Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:39 pm) • Guest (Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:22 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Re: To flush or not? Flush! Here's why....

Post by Minty »

Thanks @Josh and perfect timing considering I am starting a two week flush on my Water Melons today and also chopping down the Hydro Pint after just a week of flushing. I think the flushing has an obvious benefit but I don't totally understand why the same is not required for soil grown? Would you say this is down to the medium or the type of nutrients being used i.e. organic?

Do you have any opinions on how long the flush cycle should be and any comments on using PH-ed water vs non PH-ed water?
These users thanked the author Minty for the post (total 3):
GHO (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:54 pm) • Josh (Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:20 pm) • Guest (Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:23 pm)

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Thank you Josh, excellent report. I always wondered if organic would be different to salts in this case :)
These users thanked the author Nanook for the post (total 3):
Elijah Growz (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:59 pm) • Josh (Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:20 pm) • Minty (Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:03 pm)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Hydro
Known User

Post by Hydro »

I like to think of the flush as 2 weeks cost free myself ... well ish 😂 migro has a good interview with a couple science types from RX saying the same thing
These users thanked the author Hydro for the post (total 2):
Josh (Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:20 pm) • Minty (Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:04 pm)

TTL
Known User

Post by TTL »

Way to take one for the team Josh! Sorry you had to waste a whole crop of bud on it though.
These users thanked the author TTL for the post (total 2):
Josh (Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:31 pm) • Minty (Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:04 pm)

PatsFan

Post by PatsFan »

My only thoughts are your starving your plants when they bulk up the most.
I can see a 5 day flush but 2 weeks seems a bit long especially in Coco.
I'm also curious what you think your flushing out of the plant?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author PatsFan for the post (total 2):
Josh (Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:31 pm) • Minty (Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:04 pm)

GHO

Post by GHO »

Minty wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:22 pm
Thanks @Josh and perfect timing considering I am starting a two week flush on my Water Melons today and also chopping down the Hydro Pint after just a week of flushing. I think the flushing has an obvious benefit but I don't totally understand why the same is not required for soil grown? Would you say this is down to the medium or the type of nutrients being used i.e. organic?

Do you have any opinions on how long the flush cycle should be and any comments on using PH-ed water vs non PH-ed water?
The reading I've done mate demonstrates that the microbes have a lot to do with terpene development. Growing Organic means a more diverse microbial community both in the soil and on the plant itself, I think the exact interactions between microorganisms and flavor are still being researched but that's why organic fruit and veg taste better than chemically grown. Also as you're using solid amendments rather than salts you can't really flush them out in the same way. Some will always stay as the medium will hold it in place.
Trying to flush I think would be an exercise in futility.
These users thanked the author GHO for the post (total 3):
Josh (Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:31 pm) • Minty (Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:04 pm) • Guest (Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:24 pm)

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

Minty wrote:Thanks [mention]Josh[/mention] and perfect timing considering I am starting a two week flush on my Water Melons today and also chopping down the Hydro Pint after just a week of flushing. I think the flushing has an obvious benefit but I don't totally understand why the same is not required for soil grown? Would you say this is down to the medium or the type of nutrients being used i.e. organic?

Hey Minty, I should have mentioned that I meant amended soil and not bottle fed.

But I know @BB doesn't flush either in his soil grows, goes down to half strength for last week if I remember correctly? Maybe he'll pop in

And to answer your question of why you don't have to flush in soil vs salt, I have no idea tbh buddy once stuff starts getting scientific I leave it to @GMO to explain

These users thanked the author Josh for the post:
Minty (Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:05 pm)

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

PatsFan wrote:My only thoughts are your starving your plants when they bulk up the most.
I can see a 5 day flush but 2 weeks seems a bit long especially in Coco.
I'm also curious what you think your flushing out of the plant?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I flush for 7 days in coco usually and I know I'm not literally flushing anything out of the plant. But I can't ignore the results, I've tried it for myself.
Same strain last harvest, ph only water for 7 days and tastes great. This time, burns my throat and I had to make hash out of a lb of weed. Trust me, there's a difference.....

And to be completely honest, I have a lot to learn about this topic. Maybe you could school us a bit

These users thanked the author Josh for the post (total 2):
Elijah Growz (Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:44 pm) • Minty (Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:06 pm)

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

GHO wrote:
Minty wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:22 pm

The reading I've done mate demonstrates that the microbes have a lot to do with terpene development. Growing Organic means a more diverse microbial community both in the soil and on the plant itself, I think the exact interactions between microorganisms and flavor are still being researched but that's why organic fruit and veg taste better than chemically grown. Also as you're using solid amendments rather than salts you can't really flush them out in the same way. Some will always stay as the medium will hold it in place.
Trying to flush I think would be an exercise in futility.
I couldn't agree more

These users thanked the author Josh for the post:
GHO (Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:36 pm)

Return to “Cannabis science and research”