Welcome to the cannabis science and research section. This section is here to discuss scientific ideas, applications and ideas regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Why Does Cannabis Give You Cottonmouth?

Cannabis research, studies & results
Smokey

Why Does Cannabis Give You Cottonmouth?

Post by Smokey »

Have you ever wondered why cannabis makes you feel so parched? We have the answer, plus three hacks to keep cottonmouth at bay.

Cottonmouth is one of the most famous side effects of cannabis consumption. A grainy tongue and difficulty swallowing isn’t fun for anyone, especially when you’re about to dive into some delicious carby munchies after a few puffs of some pungent flower. But, why does cannabis give you cottonmouth? Surprisingly, the answer is more straightforward than it might seem.

Why does cannabis give you cottonmouth?

Cannabis gives you cottonmouth because compounds in the herb interact with cells that control saliva secretion. When inhaled, the primary psychoactive in the herb, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), connects with special cell sites called cannabinoid receptors.

THC is one of a group of over 100 different chemical compounds in the cannabis plant called cannabinoids.

Different types of these receptors are found throughout the brain and body. It’s the interaction between chemicals in the cannabis plant and these receptors that produce the therapeutic and psychoactive effects in cannabis.

There are cannabinoid receptors on the salivary glands in the mouth. When inhaled, smoke or vapor containing cannabinoids and beneficial aroma molecules called terpenoids interacts with the tissue in the mouth first, prior to being absorbed by the lungs and taken into the bloodstream.

When compounds like THC engage with cannabinoid receptors in the mouth, they reduce the flow of saliva and give you cottonmouth.

🍁 Who Jah Bless No Man Curse 🍁

Nom
Known User

Re: Why Does Cannabis Give You Cottonmouth?

Post by Nom »

Interesting, I read that you get the munchies because it lowers blood suger some how too. Although I don't know if that's actually true

TommyT
Known User

Post by TommyT »

Smokey wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:47 am
plus three hacks to keep cottonmouth at bay
I hate cottonmouth. So what are the hacks? I would try them.
Hack #1 = Drink Water :idn:
Purple Punch From Seedstockers
The other day when I was high I solved one of the world's greatest problems.
Unfortunately five minutes later I forgot what I was doing.

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

TommyT wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:53 am
Smokey wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:47 am
plus three hacks to keep cottonmouth at bay
I hate cottonmouth. So what are the hacks? I would try them.
Hack #1 = Drink Water :idn:

1: Go down on a woman for an hour. (It may not help with the cottonmouth, but you'll have a great time)
2: Whack your toe with a hammer. Cottonmouth will be the least of your problems.
3: Clean your tongue with a toothbrush and toothpaste.

There may be other options.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Return to “Cannabis science and research”