Welcome to the cannabis science and research section. This section is here to discuss scientific ideas, applications and ideas regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Optimising Nuttrient Ratio's for Cannabis Production - A seymore experiment

Cannabis research, studies & results
Wrh
Known User

Re: Optimising Nuttrient Ratio's for Cannabis Production - A seymore experiment

Post by Wrh »

They look great and are growing very fast , I use a much lower ec of about 1.2 in veg and it works well , I thought in proper hydro it was supposed to be even lower than that .this is very enlightening if a little complicated for an old git like me to really understand thanks for this topic it's a real thought provoker
These users thanked the author Wrh for the post:
seymore_budz (Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:43 pm)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Wrh wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:38 pm
They look great and are growing very fast , I use a much lower ec of about 1.2 in veg and it works well , I thought in proper hydro it was supposed to be even lower than that .this is very enlightening if a little complicated for an old git like me to really understand thanks for this topic it's a real thought provoker
They're growing pretty rapid that's for sure. Total EC doesn't mean much when you compare different nutrients bud. There's not much deviation, but it can be significant. All EC really tells you is a rough idea how much is in solution. I use EC to tell if my feed is balanced more than anything. If I see a sharp increase or fluctuating PH, then I know something isn't right and should investigate.

This mix has been pretty spot on in regards to stability. I'm adding 40ltr of water and it needs topping up after about 3-4 days. So it's using up about 25ltrs around that time. Throughout the week, the EC stays exactly the same and I get a slight downward drift with the PH. That's expected as the plants will dump H+ ions into the water as it feeds.

I'm quite supprised I've got a deficiency going on TBH they're receiving plenty of grub. I'm hoping it was the PH.

The other thing to consider is that the guarenteed analysis on the back of the nutrient bottles is only a minimum guarentee. That means although there definitely isn't less, there may be more of an element. Since Terra Aquatica supplies universities etc, I would hope that their GA is pretty accurate, but it may not be. I don't have the money to have a lab analysis done and I'm only hobby growing so I have to rely on my eye. And I'm second guessing the N deficiency too TBH. I think the plant at the front right has TMV or something else. The more I read, I'm going to say that the Fish sh1t didn't do me any favors. They say its hydro friendly, but there's a shed load of different things in there.

Here's a lights-on photo of the canopy.

And ratios with tonight's adjustments.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
Wrh (Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:24 am) • Herbalist (Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:18 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Hello gr420,

So, I've made another slight adjustment to my ragime. Details are below, but essentially I've cut out the grow altogether now until harvest.

The bird are stretching a little too much. I think it's the Bud Factor X that is causing that. VPD has been slightly off too. The Banana Frosting seem to be similar with a small difference in bud size. The one at the back looks like it's going to have much bigger flowers. I'm quite sure the one at the front has some sort of virus. Either that or it's never fully recovered from the slight bout of root rot.

NH4+ is flagged as high, but that's always going to be the case with Terra Aquatica unfortunately. Doesn't seem to do too much harm TBH.

These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 3):
Wrh (Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:59 am) • Herbalist (Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:18 pm) • 2-Scoops (Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:19 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Hey all,

Some bad news, the bird is covered in male flowers :( So this lot going in the bin. I'll start another diary and continue this experiment in a few weeks or so.

If you want my advice, stear clear of Sensi Seeds. I've now run four of their recent offerings and they've all been shit in one way or another. The Bird was advertised as a short plant :lol: Almost identical to the Banana Frosting, but do you see a slight difference? Yup about 2ft difference. Fecking bollocks

Here's where they are now.

Last edited by seymore_budz on Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 4):
Treetrunk (Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:03 pm) • Dex (Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:16 pm) • Wrh (Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:03 pm) • Marcus (Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:00 pm)

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

seymore_budz wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:02 pm
Hey all,

Some bad news, the bird is covered in male flowers :( So this lot going in the bin. I'll start another diary and continue this experiment in a few weeks or so.

If you want my advice, stear clear of Sensi Seeds. I've now run four of their recent offerings and they've all been shit in one way or another.
Sorry to hear it buddy I look forward to next run because you are educational person to follow. Chin up and good luck for the next one
These users thanked the author Dex for the post (total 2):
seymore_budz (Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:19 pm) • Wrh (Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:04 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Dex wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:17 pm
seymore_budz wrote:
Hey all,

If you want my advice, stear clear of Sensi Seeds. I've now run four of their recent offerings and they've all been shit in one way or another.
Sorry to hear it buddy I look forward to next run because you are educational person to follow. Chin up and good luck for the next one
Cheers Dex, I'm not too bothered as this one was just a fun cycle to test some of this information out. I can say it deffo works for grow and early flower. Would have been nice to see these through. Maybe I will just let them go and tumble the lot for some hash or something.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 3):
Treetrunk (Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:38 pm) • Wrh (Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:03 pm) • Dex (Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:18 am)

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

seymore_budz wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:20 pm
Dex wrote:
seymore_budz wrote:
Hey all,

Cheers Dex, I'm not too bothered as this one was just a fun cycle to test some of this information out. I can say it deffo works for grow and early flower. Would have been nice to see these through. Maybe I will just let them go and tumble the lot for some hash or something.
That's the sprit mate has the male full on pollinated everything? Or you thing you got it in time

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Dex wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:19 am
seymore_budz wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:20 pm
Dex wrote:

That's the sprit mate has the male full on pollinated everything? Or you thing you got it in time
It's still early, but I ain't overexaggerating when I say she's covered. Loads of male bits all over the bottom of both plants. It's just a question if I can be bothered to mess about finishing these just for a bit of hash. Easier to bin em and start again with fresh genetics. I've got other plants in the pipeline so I can populate that tent again in a couple of weeks.

It's a shame because they absolutely reak :( Would have been a decent smoke. They're still stretching too, so I doubt it would be a 8 week flowering cycle. More like 10 weeks looking at them atm.

These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
Dex (Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:29 am) • Wrh (Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:07 am)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Just to finish this experiment. These plants have been destroyed. After a few days thinking about what to do, I decided to re-run the same experiment, but with different plants. I'm just waiting on some clones to root.

I've also ordered a nutrient solution laboratory test to confirm my maths. After diving into what feels like a chemistry degree, I may be slightly off as I've not considered the density of the solute. I may do a whole deep-dive post after I'm finished.

Although this crop wasn't a success, I've learnt a hell of a lot in the last 5 weeks. Mostly about element ratios and the tools required to check measurements etc. I've also learnt that we can get a stock solution analysis fairly easily within the UK when you know what questions to ask. I bet 95% of hydroponics shops don't know you can purchase these from a couple of suppliers within the UK.

As far as the plants were concerned, it's a real shame because the bird was a terpene powerhouse. The stuff absolutely reaked of old-school skunk funk. I'm pretty gutted TBH. It may have been environmental factors that caused the plants to throw out flowers, but I don't have time for fussy plants. There's 1000s of strains waiting to be grown.

The Banana Frosting wasn't as stinky. It had more citrus terpenes tbh. The inflorescence was 2-3x the size of the bird. I also have a suspicion that the bird would have went for 10+ weeks judging by its maturity at 4 weeks. As where Banana Frosting would have been done in 8 weeks max. This could have been me over doing the N and prolonging the onset of flowering, but I think it was more genetic due to the BF growing nice size flowers. It could have also been the fact that the bird grew 2x the height and the light was too intense.

Anyway, thanks for checking in.

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Arnold Rimmer
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
Wrh (Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:53 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

seymore_budz wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:36 pm
Loads of male bits all over the bottom of both plants.
Shitty to here about Seymour.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
seymore_budz (Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:40 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Return to “Cannabis science and research”