Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

600 vs 1000 hps....

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
Josh
GR420 Leg End

600 vs 1000 hps....

Post by Josh »

Ok growroom, I've used about every light setup on the planet but since it's cooling down I'm breaking out the open reflector double ended lights again

These have served me very well in the past, but 1 question remains as always... 1kw or 600??

I would like to hear some opinions from growers with FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE please
There won't be any issues controlling heat, environment is pretty dialed. Plants are all clones from same mom, single tops and will finish about 24 inches tall. Lollipopped

I've run the 600's before but am considering nuking them with 1000 watts each table because I'm using co2 this time.

What do you guys think?

Both wattage bulbs are ushio double ended pro plus
Here is a pic of the area, moving plants in tomorrowImage

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Josh on Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Josh for the post:
camkush (Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:58 am)

Philzon   Growroom420 Discord
Josh
GR420 Leg End

Re: 600 vs 1000 hps....

Post by Josh »

Chad.Westport wrote:The 1000w will put out more usable light but the 600w is far more efficient per watt. So, in the end, the 1000w is slightly better than the 600w for the plants but if possible, I'd do two 600w lights in the same space if you have heat dialed already.
Thanks Chad ya I agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't think the wife would like the leccy bill either

I've always been curious though... I have the equipment to be able to run 2k watts. Maybe I'll try it some time in the future
I'll get some results with the 600 watters and come back here to report

Trex

Post by Trex »

Well , i cant comment on 1000 watt DE lamps , but i can regularly get 1kg in a 4.5x5 groom with a 600w lumii ballast (it can crank up to 660w but i dont) with a 46 inch parabolic reflector .

thats my .2cents , your best with 500-600 w of HLG led lamps by far tbh . Less wasted energy to heat , more usable light etc etc

Grapefruit Banner Pheno Finder Journal

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
These users thanked the author Trex for the post:
MrNice (Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:28 pm)

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

Trex wrote:Well , i cant comment on 1000 watt DE lamps , but i can regularly get 1kg in a 4.5x5 groom with a 600w lumii ballast (it can crank up to 660w but i dont) with a 46 inch parabolic reflector .

thats my .2cents , your best with 500-600 w of HLG led lamps by far tbh . Less wasted energy to heat , more usable light etc etc

No offense, but hlg is extremely overpriced. I built a 5x5 panel twice the watts and less than half the price of an hlg 650r

Not sure why people recommend buying a Ferrari when someone asks how to change the oil on their civic.... If you get my drift

I appreciate the feedback through

These users thanked the author Josh for the post:
wutang (Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:08 pm)

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Id fucking do it hahahhaa even dialled down to 750.
GPW is less with 1k's
Gram per m2 is more.
Upto you ;)
These users thanked the author Nanook for the post:
Josh (Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:44 pm)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Trex

Post by Trex »

Josh wrote:
Trex wrote:Well , i cant comment on 1000 watt DE lamps , but i can regularly get 1kg in a 4.5x5 groom with a 600w lumii ballast (it can crank up to 660w but i dont) with a 46 inch parabolic reflector .

No offense, but hlg is extremely overpriced. I built a 5x5 panel twice the watts and less than half the price of an hlg 650r

Not sure why people recommend buying a Ferrari when someone asks how to change the oil on their civic.... If you get my drift

i build my own , even full built units are cheaper then the comp . You get what you pay for .

HLG all the way , i dont give a fawk what anyone says , they give me the results i pay fir the are the top of the industry hands down !!

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Hahaha Ive had HLG and invis, both identical imo.
I have ran cdm, plasma, hps, DE, led, etc etc.
DE HPS will give most per m2 hands down.
CDM gives most frost.
LED is imo the best for GPW.
Plasma was interesting, but I wouldnt reccomend it on cost alone.

If you will need to run a heater due to temps, run hps and run whatever watts are needed rather than heating. I know we spoke before about this ( I think I was drunk ) but honestly spectrum wise dialing down DE HPS 1k's works absolutely perfectly imo. Youve seen my old NFT HPS runs :)
These users thanked the author Nanook for the post (total 2):
Josh (Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:41 pm) • wutang (Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:09 pm)

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

Trex wrote:
Josh wrote:

i build my own , even full built units are cheaper then the comp . You get what you pay for .

HLG all the way , i dont give a fawk what anyone says , they give me the results i pay fir the are the top of the industry hands down !!

Found the HLG rep shouldn't you have to pay to advertise on here bro?

Why the fuck would I use 600 watts of led in the winter time, just to add a space heater that uses 1000 watts? Think before you post

Trex

Post by Trex »

Josh wrote:
Trex wrote:
Josh wrote:No offense, but hlg is extremely overpriced. I built a 5x5 panel twice the watts and less than half the price of an hlg 650r

Found the HLG rep shouldn't you have to pay to advertise on here bro?

Why the fuck would I use 600 watts of led in the winter time, just to add a space heater that uses 1000 watts? Think before you post

im speakin overall performance here as a comparison ....

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

Nanook wrote:Id fucking do it hahahhaa even dialled down to 750.
GPW is less with 1k's
Gram per m2 is more.
Upto you ;)
Thanks brotha, I'll play with the temps like you said and if I end up using more or less it is what it is I remember your old hps/nft grows, they were mental

Return to “Cannabis Growing”