Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Sexing regular seeds

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
seymore_budz
Respected Member

Sexing regular seeds

Post by seymore_budz »

Hey GR420,

I like to start these threads off once in a while as I'm always interested in what everyone does and sharing the knowledge is what makes the community stronger.

So, as the title says, how do you sex your regular plants?

I'll kick things off with two favourite methods.

1) take some cuttings of each plant, throw them into some nutrient rich water and switch them over to flower before they start to root. This works really well and I've had great success using this method.

2) Turn the plants onto 12/12 for one day only. This works too! One night of darkness is all it takes to trigger a tropism and plants will show preflowers. This could take a week or so to show so be patient.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
The Daze (Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:25 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Wizard
Respected Member

Re: Sexing regular seeds

Post by Wizard »

pre sex your seeds , havent tryed it but i have heard this a few times and seems to have some merrit
These users thanked the author Wizard for the post:
seymore_budz (Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:27 pm)
We can get swept away by our thoughts,,or learn to step back and see them with clarity.
Easy to forget its a choice

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

Wizard wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:19 pm
pre sex your seeds , havent tryed it but i have heard this a few times and seems to have some merrit
this only works if you sprinkle them with fairy dust and chant "red rum" backwards, while wearing a tutu.... :lol:

its bunkum!!

its not possible to sex seeds - no way....and anyone who says you can is talking out of thier trumpet!!! sorry like,
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post (total 3):
Elijah Growz (Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:47 pm) • Marcus (Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 pm) • Tictok (Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:20 pm)

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

I also don't see the point of taking cuttings and flipping the cut to 12 12 .
i will tell you why -because its gonna take at least two or 3 weeks for the plant to get to the stage where you can take cuttings from it without over stressing it, then at least another week (more likely 2) for it to show sex.
by this time the original plant is normally not far away from flipping or showing sex anyway. (usually 5-6 weeks ish to show sex)

I suppose if you wanted to veg it for ages, or grow a tree and wanted to know what sex it would be, and planned to veg it for months, before floweriing it out, it would help.

this is just my tuppence worth, im not trying to piss on anyones bonfire..
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post:
Marcus (Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 pm)

Return to “Cannabis Growing”