Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Down N’ Dirty pH Down

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
Bulls
Coco Grower

Down N’ Dirty pH Down

Post by Bulls »

down n dirty pH DownIntense nutrients pH down

What are your thoughts? It uses citric acid instead of phosphoric and should be good for people with hard water. Let me know if you had anything to do with that pH down please.

Philzon   Vape4Ever
seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Down N’ Dirty pH Down

Post by seymore_budz »

Bulls wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am
down n dirty pH DownIntense nutrients pH down

What are your thoughts? It uses citric acid instead of phosphoric and should be good for people with hard water. Let me know if you had anything to do with that pH down please.
Sounds good bud. There have been a few citric acid PH down products on the market over the years. I think it's only downside really is price. What's the RRP on this Bulls?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

I would suggest going on to ebay or somewhere and looking up phosphoric acid or if you are in a hard water area, look for nitric acid.

most ph down is just about 70-80% phosphoric acid

even white vinegar can be used as ph down and baking soda or sodium bicarbonate/ bisuphate can both be used as ph up.

its also loads cheaper than so called "canna specific" nutrients.
15 quid for 2 &1/2 litres?
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post:
Minty (Mon May 18, 2020 7:27 pm)

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

I think the price is 15£. I took it as it was given to me as a gift to test. Aparently is good for drip systems as it keeps the sytem clean. I've only reaslied there was two types of pH the other day when kbag pointed it out lol. I was looking for Canna pH organic - but they had none in stock so offered that instead as it contained citric acit too. I've added it to the system yesterday so see how it goes. It took nearly 0.75 ml per L to get the Ph to where it should be.
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post:
seymore_budz (Mon May 18, 2020 12:24 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Bulls wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:53 am
I think the price is 15£. I took it as it was given to me as a gift to test. Aparently is good for drip systems as it keeps the sytem clean. I've only reaslied there was two types of pH the other day when kbag pointed it out lol. I was looking for Canna pH organic - but they had none in stock so offered that instead as it contained citric acit too. I've added it to the system yesterday so see how it goes. It took nearly 0.75 ml per L to get the Ph to where it should be.
So the science behind it is that the citric acid breaks the calcium cabonate bond so the bicarb doesn't build up. It also makes the Ca available to the plant. That's what makes it good for hard water areas because it stops the limescale build-up.

I'm no chemist so I might have this wrong but the citric acid breaks apart the calcium carbonate, chelates the calcium with a bi product being carbonic acid and water. Something the Phosphoric acid can't do. It also takes out the chloramine pretty quicky as an added bonus.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
Bulls (Mon May 18, 2020 1:35 pm)

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

So in theory the product above should work well. We shall see :)
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post:
seymore_budz (Mon May 18, 2020 1:39 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Bulls wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:36 pm
So in theory the product above should work well. We shall see :)
For sure, here's a nerdy PDF if you're interested.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1 ... 012058/pdf

Dabbedout
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dabbedout »

Citric acid works well!!

Point 5
Respected Member

Post by Point 5 »

grumpygrower wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:24 pm
Bulls wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:53 am
So the science behind it is that the citric acid breaks the calcium cabonate bond so the bicarb doesn't build up. It also makes the Ca available to the plant. That's what makes it good for hard water areas because it stops the limescale build-up.

I'm no chemist so I might have this wrong but the citric acid breaks apart the calcium carbonate, chelates the calcium with a bi product being carbonic acid and water. Something the Phosphoric acid can't do. It also takes out the chloramine pretty quicky as an added bonus.
This sounds like a better option than phosphoric ph down. I'm tempted have a look I need ph down soon
Whoever said the best things in life are free blatantly grew their own pot
:puff puff:

Grower88
Known User

Post by Grower88 »

I use vitalinks phosphoric acid read it keeps ph more stable then citric but not sure lol.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Return to “Cannabis Growing”