Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Final adjustments and questions before starting

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
frankthirtyspears

Final adjustments and questions before starting

Post by frankthirtyspears »

Hi again guys, first of all i don't know how to thank any of you enough, you're being very polite and i can't say how much i appreciate that. I made another update like this but due to a small change of plans i deleted it and here i am with the adjusted version. I'd like to explain my starting situation a bit better since i omitted various infos up to now. Since i don't have proper indoor lightning and no room that can fit the purpose i'm going to grow outdoor. The order with the rqs starter kit had some problems so i canceled it and now i took some good strains for hot climates 3x Bubble Kush auto and 3x Royal Jack auto, i also bought some coco coir https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00HGU ... UTF8&psc=1 since the reviews about it were really good. My starting equipment atm is: 5 smart pots 3 gallons , simple 1 litre pots, ph down solution https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01FI8 ... UTF8&psc=1 (since my tap water isn't very good and my bottle water is about 7.5 ph), perlite, a big fan and the coco bricks. Since i've never used coco i'd be fantastic if someone could give me a bit of tips about how to start it, what nutrients do i need (and if i need them as soon as i plant the seed) and if a ph meter is very necessary for it. I got a balcony with 9 hrs of direct sunlight a day but it's damn hot for seedlings (30 °C pretty much from 12 a.m to 4 p.m) and a well illuminated room with air conditioning system available and nicely illuminated (not really much directly tho). How would you do in my situation? p.s i know and apologize for asking a lot of stuff recently and with all these details, but i'd be very, very happy to manage into pass at least seedling stage, so i thanks all of you again for all the support :)
These users thanked the author frankthirtyspears for the post (total 2):
Minty (Mon May 11, 2020 12:41 am) • Dex (Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 am)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Re: Final adjustments and questions before starting

Post by GMO »

Hey dude

With coco you need coco specific nutes and depending on where you are may sway your selection. PH and EC pens are also needed for growing in coco

depending how bad your water is, it might not be too bad for plants. what do you mean by bad?

it doesnt sound like you exactly have ideal situation for growing. you really want more that 12 hours of light where possible tbh. 30c shouldnt be too hot for canna as a rule of thumb tho
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 2):
frankthirtyspears (Mon May 11, 2020 7:10 am) • Dex (Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 am)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

frankthirtyspears

GMO wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:24 am
Hey dude

With coco you need coco specific nutes and depending on where you are may sway your selection. PH and EC pens are also needed for growing in coco

depending how bad your water is, it might not be too bad for plants. what do you mean by bad?

it doesnt sound like you exactly have ideal situation for growing. you really want more that 12 hours of light where possible tbh. 30c shouldnt be too hot for canna as a rule of thumb tho
GMO wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:24 am
Hey dude

As for the nutriente i got some CalMag https://www.amazon.it/Advanced-Nutrient ... prod_image i also have an ec and ph testers to measure runoff.
For the tap water by being bad i meant it's got some limestone inside since the purifier needs to be repaired. The big problem is that since where i live i can't really grow outside (got a balcony with 9 hrs) am i this screwed? Cause i could get a spot with a pretty good 12 hrs sunlight but It would require some serious work to make it discrete and before that i'd like to be sure that for the equipment part i'm fine. Thanks as usual and sorry for my answer being so long

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

Is it legal where you are to grow ? If not i would advise against outside

What space do you have indoors?
These users thanked the author Dex for the post:
frankthirtyspears (Mon May 11, 2020 7:45 am)

frankthirtyspears

Dex wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:35 am

Where i live it's not exactly allowed to grow, but i have a pretty big and enclosed garden, as for inside i got plenty of space (air conditioned even) but i'm on a pretty low budget for lightning equipment or fans (150 euros or so, maybe 200). Could one of these 2 be a viable choice? Thanks for responding :)

Greenfingers
Known User

Post by Greenfingers »

frankthirtyspears wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:53 am
Dex wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:35 am

Where i live it's not exactly allowed to grow, but i have a pretty big and enclosed garden, as for inside i got plenty of space (air conditioned even) but i'm on a pretty low budget for lightning equipment or fans (150 euros or so, maybe 200). Could one of these 2 be a viable choice? Thanks for responding :)
Have a look at the Marshydro, i like mine and so far cannot fault it
These users thanked the author Greenfingers for the post (total 2):
frankthirtyspears (Mon May 11, 2020 9:26 am) • Dex (Mon May 11, 2020 11:31 am)

frankthirtyspears

Marcus wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:07 am
Hi there Frank!

I'd serious consider just using soil for outdoors growing. You only need to give them water and then add a bit of feed when they need it. No need for ph, ec and all that mixing stuff. Just sling a bit of rainwater or tapwater at them from time to time.

Coco needs to be kept wet and it's a struggle in the summer with a decent sized plant outdoors. With soil, you can leave it to go dry. You can even go away for a few days and leave an established plant in a tray of water to just suck it up.

I use plagron batmix (they may sell that on amazon in your country- which is where BTW?) and just a bloom feed. I have no need for veg feed as the batmix has all the grub a plant should need until flower if you use the correct size pot.

You should be cool in the summer with an auto in a sunny spot. Yes they could do with 20 hours of light, but they grow just fine and dandy in indirect sunight. I'd also be cautious about the smell. Just one plant can absolutely HONK! 6 is going to be a bit stinky round your end and the neighbours may start nosing around.

Good luck dude anyway.
Yo, i definitely think i'm gonna stick with your idea, after what i heard and what you rightfully said coco is definitely not a good move in my situation and so i'm gonna stick with soil and smart pots, my question is: what should i do to start? My seeds are all autos and i heard that it's a bad idea to make transplants and so i was thinking about (after they germinated in the paper towel) moving them directly in their definitive 3 gallons smart pot. My main issue up to this point is the initial management of the seedlings, meaning, without leds or the possibility to start them indoor what should i do? I wait until the seed pops from the ground and then what i'm supposed to do, keeping it under some tree shade or keeping it outside only during a few hours in the morning for the first days? Also the watering parts still confuses me a bit. If you could help me with these i would be really really grateful :)

frankthirtyspears

Marcus wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:21 am
I'd just germ them and pop them in a 50/50 small pot mix of batmix and coco, or just well washed through batmix as it can be a bit hot for seedlings - meaning it's loaded with food for them and they will burn a little if you are not careful.
Give them a week to establish on a sunny windowsill (rotating them daily and giving them a drink when dry) and then pot them straight into their final pots, they shouldn;t notice the difference as long as they don;t get rootbound in the small pots.
Whack them on the balcony and give them sips of water daily around the circumference of the leaves. Upping the water given to them as they grow.

Or you can make a well in the middle of the main pot with some coco and pop the germed seed in there, they'll be cool for a week without any feed, then when the roots hit the main soil, they should take off and no potting up stress. Cut the top of a 2L water bottle off to use as a propagator and they should be cool outdoors all their life. Just remove it when the leaves are touching the sides.

Don;t keep the seedling in the shade, give it full sun from the off. They like a bit of humidity so the plastic bottle will help them.
Thanks man, gonna stick with the coco well in the middle since i have no batmix available atm. My last couple of questions are: if the temp is pretty hot for a seedling (30 °C usually during noon) is it fine covering it with some shadecloth or i need to remove them from the direct sulight? Lastly, when i put the seeds into the coco well do i need to water them for a week or they're fine without? Thanks again for all the help

Return to “Cannabis Growing”