Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Autoflowering In the Balcony - Beginner

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
fcflalx
Has thanked: 0

Autoflowering In the Balcony - Beginner

Post by fcflalx »

Hello everyone,

First of all, my apologies if there is another thread on this and if so please send over to me and I`ll delete this one... but I searched and could not find one specific for this matter.

Let`s get to it.

I live in Portugal, where wheater is dry and hot during the summer and first air of spring is knocking on my door already. Some days are 22C during the day and 10C /12C at night. I have a balcony facing south/southeast that gets direct sunlight from 10am to 5pm and all day light as the front of the balcony is quite open and wide without any building in front of it.

I`m considering to purchase some autoflowring seeds and grow on the balcony from day one! Therefore I`m here asking for advice for some questions that I have and are definitely beginners doubts :)

- Can I leave the growing sprout throughout the day in the balcony maximizing sun light direct hitting it or should I leave on a corner where direct sun does not hits for the first weeks?
- Should I worry about the sun hitting directly during any time of the process?
- If I grow it very close to Basil, garlic and chamomile are these best plants to avoid bugs and other predatory risks for the plant??
- Should I plant in a plant tent or something to protect more from bugs and direct sun? I`m concerned about temperature if I need to do so?
- Can I plant now or should I wait to be hotter and with a longer daytime period?

Can you please help? would like to have a simple set up that naturally help against bug as I work outside home and only can take care during night periods. Looking for a honest small harvest for single use. Need to be discreet with smelling also, what would you reccommend?

Thanks a lot!
These users thanked the author fcflalx for the post (total 3):
omgBoNg (Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:12 pm) • kbag (Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:34 pm) • Thrasherdude (Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:51 pm)

omgBoNg
Known User

Re: Autoflowering In the Balcony - Beginner

Post by omgBoNg »

Full sun, preventative maintenance is key i.e. fungicide and pesticide up until first week or 2 of flower. Outdoors is outdoors there will always be something foreign around. Plant before days start getting the longest, with autos you will want the most light you can get. Bud rot/botrytis is my worst enemy outdoors, keeping them protected under something when it rains in flower would be beneficial. And don't forget about rosemary for companion, good for mosquitoes as well.
These users thanked the author omgBoNg for the post:
kbag (Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:32 pm)

fcflalx

Post by fcflalx »

omgBoNg wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:49 pm
Full sun, preventative maintenance is key i.e. fungicide and pesticide up until first week or 2 of flower. Outdoors is outdoors there will always be something foreign around. Plant before days start getting the longest, with autos you will want the most light you can get. Bud rot/botrytis is my worst enemy outdoors, keeping them protected under something when it rains in flower would be beneficial. And don't forget about rosemary for companion, good for mosquitoes as well.
Thank you my friend!

I`ll read more about fungicide and pestcide for the first 1-2 weeks of flower.

I have good light entire day and about 6-7 hours of direct sun, that should increase in the summer but I`m not quite sure how much in terms of direct light, but days are longer anyways and light will be increased automatically.

I`ll prepare the companion while waiting for the seeds to arrive, am planning to show the progress here really soon!

Please friends, keep posting your thoughts and tips!!!

Cheers

Inactive account
Inactive Account

Post by Inactive account »

Hi and welcome along to the growroom

fcflalx

Post by fcflalx »

Just bought Northern Lights Automatic seeds and Sensi #34 Auto CBD.

As soon it arrives I`ll start sproud and planting I`ll share here.

I appreciate all the comments and feedback you might have for my first time ever planting and going directly outdoor on my balcony!

Inactive account
Inactive Account

Post by Inactive account »

fcflalx wrote:Just bought Northern Lights Automatic seeds and Sensi #34 Auto CBD.

As soon it arrives I`ll start sproud and planting I`ll share here.

I appreciate all the comments and feedback you might have for my first time ever planting and going directly outdoor on my balcony!
I’m sharing your excitement can’t wait for u to get going good luck

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Personally, I would start it off indoors, then take it out to harden off, then it should be okay for it to be outside all the time.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

fcflalx

Post by fcflalx »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:27 pm
Personally, I would start it off indoors, then take it out to harden off, then it should be okay for it to be outside all the time.
But should I have lights for this indoor begnning or a room full of day light is enough? Reason why I`m doing outdoors is cost saving on electricity and equip like leds, growroom AND space at my apartment....

I`ll wait the seeds to sproud indoors and then I would plant in the final 10galon vase outdoors on the balcony. Is this a bad idea?????

omgBoNg
Known User

Post by omgBoNg »

I start in the window, take em outside when it's nice bring back in at night or leave em inside if it's too rainy or cold until they are strong enough. I tend to get them out as fast as possible.

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

fcflalx wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:03 am
The Aspie Toker wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:27 pm
But should I have lights for this indoor begnning or a room full of day light is enough? Reason why I`m doing outdoors is cost saving on electricity and equip like leds, growroom AND space at my apartment....

I`ll wait the seeds to sproud indoors and then I would plant in the final 10galon vase outdoors on the balcony. Is this a bad idea?????
Hi mate,

Depending on pot size, you could have them next to the window (indoors) so they can get sunlight (as long as it's not too strong) You ought to get something like a see-through cover for the plant (eg. an empty pop bottle cut in half) and place over the seedling as they need a higher humidity than the surrounding area to do well.

Plants grown indoors and then outside need to get used to the climate - so you need to take it outside for it to get used to it (it's called hardening off)

10 gallon pots is a lot for an auto. You only need something around 11 litres (just over 2 Imperial gallons) and they are best grown straight into their final pot from the start. You can pot up (I've done it myself) but it can stunt the growth of the plant.

Return to “Cannabis Growing”