Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Growing Sativa outdoors on Koh Samui Thailand

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
Grandpa Cool
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Growing Sativa outdoors on Koh Samui Thailand

Post by Grandpa Cool »

Koh Samui is 9 degrees north of the equator.
Does anyone have any experience growing Sativa outdoors at a similar latitude?
Considering that cannabis is a daylength plant, and at this latitude there is very little variation in daylight hours year round :
1/ what is the optimum time of year for planting?
2/ when could one expect to harvest?
Looking forward to considered feedback.

Keeno
Site Admin

Re: Growing Sativa outdoors on Koh Samui Thailand

Post by Keeno »

Welcome to GR420.

I personally have no experience in growing in your part of the world. Do you know the exact length of daytime through what you would class as summer & winter, as well as temperatures?

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Interesting, I’ve never thought about that before. They might not ever go into flower if they light cycle isn’t right, perhaps a greenhouse and some black plastic sheeting covered over it each day to simulate darkness?
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

Mrs Beefheart
Respected Member

Post by Mrs Beefheart »

Hi and welcome along to the Growroom
I wouldn’t mind living there lush part of the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillbert42

Post by chillbert42 »

Grandpa Cool wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:58 am
Koh Samui is 9 degrees north of the equator.
Does anyone have any experience growing Sativa outdoors at a similar latitude?
Considering that cannabis is a daylength plant, and at this latitude there is very little variation in daylight hours year round :
1/ what is the optimum time of year for planting?
2/ when could one expect to harvest?
Looking forward to considered feedback.
hi friend, like your name btw :)

dont have experience of growing weed in thailand, just smoking weed in thailand... so far

great time to there ! jelous no, envious yes !! lol :)

not been to samui but know where youre talkin about...

a couple of things to consider... when is your monsoon season? im thinking it could be around june to august???
this when you dont want plants in flower but they could be in veg so they flower when its dry season ..

much could depend on the genetics you are growing (hierloom / modern hybrid)

thai hierlooms are often known to take the longest on earth ... 20+ weeks is not uncommon .. the downside of weather in paradise is theres no rush to finish due to impending winter cold !

using modern genetics you could prob grow all year round (esp with autos)

being that close to equator youll have nearly 12/12 all year so age should trigger plants into flower as much as slight change in light/ dark hours does im guessing ..

i think the biggest consideration is to ensure your plants avoid being in flower during monsoon...

if you can find any local farmers / growers they would be the best people to ask

no real solid answers sorry but hope some small help / encouragement !

good luck and enjoy Thailand ... let us know how it goes or what you decide

chillbert42

Post by chillbert42 »

of course, the upside to waiting 20 weeks is you could get a strain that 'reaches the parts others, more modern hybrids, dont'....

to use a famous advertising line from a certain hops drink in the 80's (anyone remember that !?)

Grandpa Cool

Post by Grandpa Cool »

Thanks everybody for your input.
I've been growing sativas outdoors guerilla style at 23 degrees south of the equator for 40 years. I've tried indicas and hybrids as well, but high rainfall and humidity defeat the purpose. The last decade I've been growing Malawi Gold (sativa Landrace). I'm planning to grow the same and/or Golden Tiger (stabilised sativa hybrid of traditional Thai landrace with Malawi male) in Koh Samui. These varieties produce the apex of psychedelic highs, with clear, energised, inspired consciousness. I'm not concerned with how long they take to mature because the abundance of yield and the quality is AAA+.
I've checked the daylight hours in Samui. October, December are less than 12 hours. At this stage I'll try a grow from approximately July through to December.
I'll keep you posted.🙏😎

Grandpa Cool

Post by Grandpa Cool »

High again,
I'm just wondering if I can be more specific about similar locations to Koh Samui (9 degrees north of the equator) that have long traditions of cultivating cannabis, eg. :
Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia, Venezuela, a whole host of North African countries from Sierra Leone and Liberia through Nigeria and Cameroon to Ethiopia and Somalia, Kerala in South India, Sumatra in Indonesia, and perhaps 9 degrees South of the equator, eg,. :
Peru, Brazil, Congo, Tanzania, New Guinea.
Dose anybody on this forum have personal experience, or have friends or associates with personal experiences in any of the listed countries?
Thanks in advance for your kind consideration and feedback.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Cover them up to protect them with a see through plastic sheet or tarp to protect them those mahoosive downpours of rain you get out their is a good idea or you could be pissing in wind.

Maybe look at auto`s and plant them out in Spring when cooler nights are warming up a wee bit.
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Trex

Post by Trex »

lol im in Canada , the total opposite of you .

ive found , out in nature. a weed plant will flower no matter the circumstances, it is different then indoors under artificial conditions .

just plant and see what gives . just be careful, Thailand has some of the harshest drug laws on this earth.

Return to “Cannabis Growing”