Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Small Shed Grow Space Ideas and Suggestions for growing cannabliss

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
Herbalist
Bud Of The Year Winner 2022

Re: Small Shed Grow Space Ideas and Suggestions for growing cannabliss

Post by Herbalist »

What sort of budget are you talking? I think that could make a decent little grow space if you had a nice bit of change to throw at it and train the hell out of whatever you grow but a tent would probably be a cheaper option or another cupboard somewhere. Are you set on having that as your grow space?
Making plans with a stoner is like being with a prostitute. They tell you they’re coming, but you know it’s a lie.

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Nom wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:52 pm
I'm not saying it couldn't be done in that space but I can see you having a few issues if you do. I'd be taking that little shed thing down and putting up a taller version and not have the door central but toward one end. Even then I'd still be aiming for a single plant especially since you want to be able to get inside with it, not too good to be stepping through a door beaming light like a lighthouse. Unless you insulate it well it'll be exspensive if you're growing inside it come winter time aswel buddy. My advice is plan, plan and plan some more
Deffo agree with the plan plan and plan some more. I've learnt the hard way, but I've learnt a lot from understanding my mistakes! Can't go wrong with extra planning...at the end of the day the end product has to he bang on.

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Line the whole thing with 50mm celotex/kingspan would be where I'd start. It's not cheap at the moment.

Then you'll need extraction fan and filter and ducting (that'll take up more room inside the small box), fan for moving air around inside and your light.

You'll probably need a heater for winter and it may get a little warm in summer too.

Have you nowhere in the house you can stick a small tent? It'll be cheaper in the long run.

Edit - I used to grow in kitchen cupboards and small grows are easy peasy in the house.

I used 70w cmh bulbs at about £30 for the bulb and ballast, you can get them right on top of the plants if needed.

Small pots keep the plants small and lots of bending to keep them under control. They do need lots of daily watering though (well, mine did in coco), but you can get a couple of zips off a pot noodle sized pot if you stay on top of them.
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 3):
Rawreefer (Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:23 am) • Nom (Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:58 am) • Herbalist (Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:07 am)

Mrs Beefheart
Respected Member

Post by Mrs Beefheart »

Very interesting, I’ll pull my chair in the corner and watch along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Will be a challenging project. Of course you could turn that area into a growing space but things will have to be planned correctly from the insulation right down to strain selection etc. Personally, I would consider just putting a little tent in the shed. It will be cheaper and much more forgiving but if that area is the only option, here's a couple of points I would consider after a glance at the proposed area.

1) Use fancy insulation. Foil insulation is thin so this will save a little space. Not normally an issue but you're tight in there so it will make a difference.

2) maybe use a single bed of media rather than pots? Plants will grow fine in a bed and it will also save some space. A bed will be thinner than pots. If you do use a bed, make sure there's plenty of drainage.

3) Run the extraction from outside of the area. You could run the extraction from within the shed. Either push through a filter or run an inline filter.

4) run ballasts outside the area and fix the light to the top of the box. This will reduce the required HVAC. The hight is so small that you won't need to move the light and can control things using the dimmer.

5) Run decent inlet filters. Considering the position of that mini shed, it's the perfect height for bugs to find there way in. Maybe hook up a HEPA filter? Will also reduce light leakage that will also attract attention from humans and bugs.

6) you will 100% need some sort of controller on the fan. Even the smallest extraction fan will empty that area several times a second :lol:

7) Strain selection. Pay careful attention to the breeders description because getting things wrong here could be fatal and it will be too late before you can do anything about it. Personally, I would look for the short auto flowers I could find and run them to get a feel for the room. Then maybe venture out into photoperiods. If you grow photoperiods then build in a net and go mad with the supercropping. Don't be afraid to remove material if things look like they're getting overcrowded. A quick Google suggests the following.

Blue Cheese auto
Santa Maria auto
AK48 Auto

Apparently, they have a height ranging from 40-70cm fully mature.

It will be trial and error but I'm confident with some massaging you could make this work. Do some research into these micro setups as there's plenty of info online and will give you a little foresight into what could go wrong.

As far as price ... I would expect to spend around £400-£500 all in. That's lights, fans, filters, media, nutrients, electrical installation bits, monitoring equipment, seeds etc. Hopefully this has provided some food for thought. Good luck! 👍
Last edited by seymore_budz on Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:37 am)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Donks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Donks »

It isn't nice when you get your hopes up & then they're dashed. That's gonna be a nightmare mate
Lack of height
Noise from fan
Light leakage
Damp
Temp fluctuation
I'd smash it down & bang a greenhouse there if its south facing.
These users thanked the author Donks for the post (total 2):
seymore_budz (Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:20 am) • The Aspie Toker (Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:32 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Stick 2 plants straight in a grow-bag/sack of soil that is sat on a wooden pallet and scrog them under a 240watter led that is dimmable. Insulation isn't really called for this time of year but if your planning on growing all year round a cheap option is summink like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185242407289 ... SwvGZh4CjT that is used to insulate camper vans etc, it should do jobby ok and is fairly priced compared to other options and if it gets too cold in winter then just add a small oil filled rad or a long tube heater. Extraction fan, carbon filter, oscillating fan and some plant food and a screen for the scrogging part then height shouldn`t be a problem. Jobs a good en.
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

GHO

Post by GHO »

GMO wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:27 pm
i think your going to need to insulate that thoroughly

and throw us the measurements buddy
Plus one for this, due to recent experience of the perils of outbuildings also consider tanking the floor to prevent water ingress. Epoxy floor paint is ideal, I'll be doing this in the next couple of months. 😕

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

I agree with the others, height is going to be a problem. Don't forget the plants will be in pots and the light won't be directly under the roof. That leaves you so little space, if any for distance needed between the light and the top of the plant.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Return to “Cannabis Growing”