Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

NEW Light cycles SAVE MONEY!!!

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
bimblebrains

NEW Light cycles SAVE MONEY!!!

Post by bimblebrains »

Hi guys hope everyone is doing well..

I just wanted to bring to your attention something that i found out about a while back now and think you should know for many reasons i'll get in too ,but for the primary reason that it's gunna SAVE YOU MONEY ,and with the current shit with the energy prices this couldent come at a better time,now i'm not trying to be some know it all and i'm sure there some of you that have probably heard about this in recent months and have thought maybe its bullshit or youre too scared to try it but thats why i have held off posting about it because i wanted to wait until i had tried it out and was sure that it worked so i'm not perpetuating a load of bullshit...but yes this 100% works as i'm doing it now and it not only worked but its exceeded my expectations...So down to business :wave:

This info was shared thru the skunkfam podcast set up by a uk breeder called Blue skies vienna,by a guy called Joe Pietri...a proper legend thanks dude! anyway...

The new veg cycle he call's 12 and 1 goes as follows....12 on, 5.5 off, 1 on, 5.5 off so in total they only get 13 hrs light a day, so how do they not flower you may ask? well...that 1 hr on is sufficient to stop the hormones from triggering the flowering stage..simple as that! and man they grow quicker,they drink less,eat less,they constantly pray light on or off....if you think about it,nowhere in the world do any plants get 18 hours of direct sunlight everyday and joe always jokes about how to do the 18/6 cycle you'd need 2 sun's...trust me this works,its even great for rooting clones as well and you guessed it they root faster lol...now for flowering...

For flowering he recommends...... 6 on 18 off ...now i was very dubious of this as you're probably feeling right now because we've always been taught different but i'm just over a week into flower with some known cuts i've ran before and damn they are going crazy,talk about explosive growth! and they seem to trigger instantly almost,not only that but they just seem to grow a bit differently i dunno i its hard to explain,its like they dont stretch up quite so much because they start to flower so quick,they still still stretch up but not as much and in a more lateral sort of way with more buds sites so as to fill the space better,again they just look so happy and praying,they are drinking less(something you must get used too),your room doesnt get so hot and i think this will end up shaving time of of each cycle because there is not that week or two pre flowering stage,i'm telling you guys this info is a game changer,we've all been light burning and stressing our plants out for too long and paying loads of electric bills to do it !!! they grow in the dark...these are not new techniques,they are standard practices in the flower industry..there is no cannabis botany,only botany.

As for seed germination he says constant light for first week then 12 and 1....Flowering seed plants he says put on 8/16 they will show sex if reg within a week,whip out the males or not then straight down to 6/18 for rest of the cycle, i'm about to try this with some reg beans too.
For NLD/ Sativa type plants they will prob do better on a 8/16 rather than the 6/18,each way..massive electric bill savings..
i'm about to start a grow diary with some very special genetics (pheno hunt in a room with a few of my banana sauce for good measure!)all those plants have been on this programme from day one so check it out,also i will post some pics and do updates on this thread of the known cuts i already have in flower now.. sorry for the rant but just wanted to get the info out to the forum coming from first hand perspective by someone who's tried it,cheers for your time Bimble :Stoned:
These users thanked the author bimblebrains for the post (total 8):
Mafooo (Sun May 22, 2022 3:29 pm) • Tictok (Sun May 22, 2022 4:18 pm) • Marcus (Sun May 22, 2022 4:22 pm) • Nom (Sun May 22, 2022 5:58 pm) • Stickylemonz (Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:16 pm) • duke (Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:46 pm) • fabi420 (Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:30 am) • sybarite (Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:31 pm)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
stoner4200000

Re: NEW Light cycles SAVE MONEY!!!

Post by stoner4200000 »

Yes, this method is somewhat well known from back in the days of the older forums. I believe it was called something like a gas lantern routine. It works!!! No doubt about it! But Photosynthesis argues against this if you want maximum growth. Then more light = more growth. But........ to a point. DLI (daily light integral) is a more important measure to assess lighting and your own needs. CO2 is also an important factor in photosynthesis and plant light saturation.

To be honest, The only way you save electricity is via the efficiency of your fans and lighting and irrigation pumps etc

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author stoner4200000 for the post (total 7):
ncrypta.core (Sun May 22, 2022 3:42 pm) • seymore_budz (Sun May 22, 2022 5:29 pm) • GMO (Sun May 22, 2022 6:03 pm) • 2-Scoops (Mon May 23, 2022 12:07 pm) • 420mFuk (Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:31 am) • duke (Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:47 pm) • sybarite (Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:35 pm)

Mafooo
Known User

Post by Mafooo »

Interested to follow along this one BB.

I been wondering if I should knick off an hour during flower to 11/13 but what you laid out here is something I havent heard of before. There is definitely some complex molecular machinery inside the plants that flip that switch. Sounds like there is all the more reason to experiment with it. No doubt there is a lot more we can learn about flowering physiology.
These users thanked the author Mafooo for the post (total 2):
stoner4200000 (Sun May 22, 2022 4:29 pm) • duke (Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:47 pm)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Interesting stuff. I've heard of the 11/13 in flower, but also that that was reserved for sativas. Apparently if you run it for ndica dom, you get a more sativa expression. Who knows.

I'd be interested in a smoke report @bimblebrains of those plants you've run before to ascertain if there is any difference in potency/terpene production. This could really help in summer in the loft.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 2):
duke (Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:47 pm) • bimblebrains (Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:21 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Yup, Gas Lantern Routine.

I've tried it a couple of times and I'd rather stick to my 14 on 10 off.

I also run 11 on 13 off for flowering. 12/12 for the stretch though.

Good luck experimenting though! That's where the fun is! :running-around:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 5):
The Aspie Toker (Sun May 22, 2022 4:47 pm) • Tictok (Sun May 22, 2022 5:11 pm) • GMO (Sun May 22, 2022 6:03 pm) • duke (Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:06 pm) • sybarite (Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:37 pm)

stoner4200000

Post by stoner4200000 »

MafooFarms wrote:Interested to follow along this one BB.

I been wondering if I should knick off an hour during flower to 11/13 but what you laid out here is something I havent heard of before. There is definitely some complex molecular machinery inside the plants that flip that switch. Sounds like there is all the more reason to experiment with it. No doubt there is a lot more we can learn about flowering physiology.
Yes for sure! There's so much more to learn it's unreal. The more you know the more you realise you don't know to be honest.

The only thing I would say when experimenting is to try to have a separate control. So you can measure the differences between whatever you choose to experiment with. rather than be reliant on the memory of previous grows. That way you know for sure what's working for you and what isn't.

The auxin/cytokinin ratio of the plant is also a contributing factor when it comes to how a plant grows and responds to light.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author stoner4200000 for the post (total 4):
Tictok (Sun May 22, 2022 5:12 pm) • 420mFuk (Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:33 am) • duke (Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:07 pm) • bimblebrains (Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:25 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

You can mess about with the light cycle etc but at the end of the day less energy = less output. If you really want to reduce the cost of running your grow lamps without compromising output you're going to have to monitor co2 and PPFD. Then you can calculate the required DLI and turn down your lights so you're only giving the plants what they need.

I've got a post about 30% written around all of this but I've not had time to finish it :( Here's a fancy graph I stole from one of Debaco University's videos showing optimal DLI based on CO2 levels.

These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 4):
stoner4200000 (Sun May 22, 2022 6:29 pm) • Tictok (Sun May 22, 2022 6:45 pm) • Treetrunk (Mon May 23, 2022 6:17 am) • 420mFuk (Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:34 am)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

Heard of this before elsewhere as well. Sounds terribly like he who shall not be named not only likes to put names of people on seed packs he isn't affiliated with but is also branching out in other ways too. Just my opinion, quite happy to be wrong though
These users thanked the author Nom for the post:
bimblebrains (Sun May 22, 2022 6:30 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Sorry wrong graph :lol:

These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
stoner4200000 (Sun May 22, 2022 6:29 pm) • Tictok (Sun May 22, 2022 6:46 pm)

bimblebrains

Post by bimblebrains »

Hi guys yes its definatley old info and is also known as the gas lighting tech yes,there's alot of scope to play around with these things and i think and from what i'm seeing running these times is that the cycles he's said about here are like a general happy medium to get the most cycles in per year and for the cheapest price energy wise,now obviously us more hobbyist/bedroom growers will want to adjust it to suit our and individual cultivars needs,yes you might get a slightly bigger yield by running more hours of flower cycle on,hence more light more bud but are you getting more product per year when you factor in how many cycles per year you can fit in that space and how much the power bill is for it,i really do think that if you are running a decent yeiding cut for production lets say on these cycles and you virtually eliminate that pre flower stretch phase then youre looking at saving a couple of weeks per cycle and on a perpetual mono crop you could fit at least another round in possibly 2 with an 8 weeker, per year in that space,even if the yield suffers slightly(which the guy says it doesnt)then with the extra round(S) squeezed in then that would be made up for and possiblly even improved by those extra cylcles,plus more cycles finished more often,...and for less electric per year.
lets say a veg space and a flower space ...the veg space will save 5 hours per dayon the 12 and 1 and flower will save 6 per day or 4 if on 8/16..now that's between 9 and 11 hours electric saved per day,i have my fans running 24/7 regarless so that makes no odds,so over a year thats crazy saving,hell if you wanna go 10/14 its still 7 hours saving per day,this is big money over a year and you got the same if not more bud over that year.
The plants veg just fine under the 12 and 1 and it keeps them in a constant state of pre flower once they are sexually mature,so your keeper clones flip super quick..its really interesting stuff and just had to share,oh and if you wanna save even more electric then i simple little cfl for that hour on would do the trick too aparantley
These users thanked the author bimblebrains for the post:
Marcus (Sun May 22, 2022 7:10 pm)

Return to “Cannabis Growing”