Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Whey as soil additive??

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
IMO
Known User

Whey as soil additive??

Post by IMO »

:sup: Groomies, this is one for the organic soil guys, I made what was meant to be yoghurt with organic milk and it turned out more like cottage cheese no idea why 😂, but I’m looking at the amber coloured whey left over thinking that shits probably a good soil additive. Why you guys recon?
These users thanked the author IMO for the post (total 3):
Mafooo (Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:25 pm) • MrNice (Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:57 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:43 am)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
Mafooo
Known User

Re: Whey as soil additive??

Post by Mafooo »

IMO wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:23 pm
:sup: Groomies, this is one for the organic soil guys, I made what was meant to be yoghurt with organic milk and it turned out more like cottage cheese no idea why 😂, but I’m looking at the amber coloured whey left over thinking that shits probably a good soil additive. Why you guys recon?
Id say if you fermented it right you likely have an acidic concentration of lactic acid bacteria. Now... if this was kind of a whoopsie experiment i would advise caution in adding it to your soil as you may be unsure what microbes you captured in there. Whatever you do maybe grow something in a small pot and feed it a 1 ml : L dilution and see what happens before going full tilt in the grow room.

Mon the microbes
These users thanked the author Mafooo for the post (total 2):
TheCloudyChef (Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:54 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:43 am)

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

Thanks for the reply Mafoofarms, Basically I pasteurised the milk by heating over 70degrees c, washed everything with hot water and added probiotic capsules L Reuteri so it should be just that one bacteria, long ferment over 36 hours, smalls like Cheshire cheese 😂
These users thanked the author IMO for the post (total 2):
Mafooo (Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:19 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:44 am)

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

It was meant to be a probiotic yoghurt but 2x now has turned out like cheese 😂
These users thanked the author IMO for the post:
MrNice (Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:58 pm)

FX
Known User

Post by FX »

Whey not, I say...
These users thanked the author FX for the post:
IMO (Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:53 pm)
“Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has preserved me from feeling isolated.” - Albert Einstein

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

You really need to be looking for hydrolyzed whey protein @IMO as an organic amino acid boost type additive, its main ingredient in most shop bought bud boosters like Advanced Nirvana, Big Bud or House & Garden amino acid additive boost thingi-bob and is easily broke down in comparison to whey protein, look for summink around 90% pure protein. It doesn`t stand well once mixed so needs using I'm presuming the shop boosters that contain it use summink like parabins to prolong its shelf life.

https://www.mbferts.com/products/hydrol ... tein-shake :nice:
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:45 am)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

has it split into curds and whey? if so, sounds like you may have just made an LAB. i would think even with pasturizing that youll have a couple different lacto bacteria plus the known one youve added. id treat it like a labs and either filter it to be left with just the liquid and no floaty bits. then you can either store that in the fridge or mix it with brown sugar (about 1:1) to make it shelf stable so ya can store it at room temp

as Mafoo said, go with 1:1000 ratio as a soil drench or foliar spray, helps with PM and mold issues
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 2):
Mafooo (Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:19 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:46 am)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

GMO wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:48 pm
has it split into curds and whey? if so, sounds like you may have just made an LAB. i would think even with pasturizing that youll have a couple different lacto bacteria plus the known one youve added. id treat it like a labs and either filter it to be left with just the liquid and no floaty bits. then you can either store that in the fridge or mix it with brown sugar (about 1:1) to make it shelf stable so ya can store it at room temp

as Mafoo said, go with 1:1000 ratio as a soil drench or foliar spray, helps with PM and mold issues
Yeah that’s it @GMO I already separated the curds which I’m gonna eat like last time 🤪, but I don’t want to waste the whey if I don’t have to, I guess I could freeze some as well? Thanks guys diluted 1:1000 ain’t gonna do any harm is it 😊
Last edited by IMO on Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author IMO for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:46 am)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

i wouldnt freeze it bud, just cos im not sure how will the microbes will hold up. in the fridge is good for like 3-6 months and supersaturated with brown sugar it should last like 2 years
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 2):
The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:46 am) • IMO (Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:54 am)

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

GMO wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:19 pm
i wouldnt freeze it bud, just cos im not sure how will the microbes will hold up. in the fridge is good for like 3-6 months and supersaturated with brown sugar it should last like 2 years
Ok gotcha yeah they just need a food source to keep ‘em goinhb
These users thanked the author IMO for the post (total 2):
GMO (Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:29 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:47 am)

Return to “Cannabis Growing”