Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Under lighting

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
sir-scrogalot

Under lighting

Post by sir-scrogalot »

Hey everyone

Under lighting has no doubt been discussed heavily on forums over the years so I'm not going to get into if it works or not, I am however going to do a test run. We'll 2 in fact.

First will be a 2x4 2 plant scrog and I'll include 2 deep red supplements from Invisible Sun under the canopy facing upwards

Second will be a 3 plant scrog which will include 2 ISH72 c full spectrum clone lights from Invisible Sun under the canopy facing upwards.

I want to see the difference in end product an if its best to use deep red or full spectrum

I'm gonna grab the lights this week and set them up so if this interests you stay tuned.

Thanks
Sir SA
These users thanked the author sir-scrogalot for the post (total 7):
GMO (Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:42 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:57 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:55 pm) • TommyT (Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:21 am) • Ghost_In_A_Jar (Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:16 am) • Guest (Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:34 pm) • biosynthetic (Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:37 pm)
Take a look at my new blog - www.grow-life.blog

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Re: Under lighting

Post by GMO »

interesting concept here. ill be following
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

sir-scrogalot wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:41 pm
Hey everyone

Under lighting has no doubt been discussed heavily on forums over the years so I'm not going to get into if it works or not, I am however going to do a test run. We'll 2 in fact.

First will be a 2x4 2 plant scrog and I'll include 2 deep red supplements from Invisible Sun under the canopy facing upwards

Second will be a 3 plant scrog which will include 2 ISH72 c full spectrum clone lights from Invisible Sun under the canopy facing upwards.

I want to see the difference in end product an if its best to use deep red or full spectrum

I'm gonna grab the lights this week and set them up so if this interests you stay tuned.

Thanks
Sir SA
I'd be more inclined to have side lighting rather than lighting from underneath.
These users thanked the author The Aspie Toker for the post:
Wayne36 (Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:26 pm)
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Wardrobe Farming

Post by Wardrobe Farming »

Count me in for this one, love a bit of side lighting 👍

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

You know the tops of the leaves are where the photosynthesis happens right? Cause plants evolved to process light coming from above right? Ask NorthernScrogger on Instagram, I promise you... It does nothing but waste money
These users thanked the author KD for the post (total 2):
IMO (Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:41 am) • Wayne36 (Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:27 pm)

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

I mean side lighting has some possible benefits , after all the sun isn't directly over plants all day but I'm struggling with the concept of under lighting tbh. Seems like spending money for no reason to me but will be interested to see what u do.
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post (total 4):
KD (Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:03 am) • The Aspie Toker (Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:35 am) • Growmie (Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:26 pm) • Guest (Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:34 pm)
From the Garage of HMR
No Current Grow on, Point5 has the tent and is doing her lovely thing.

sir-scrogalot

Post by sir-scrogalot »

Hi chaps.

Well Iv used under lighting before, i used it on a double layed scrog for the lowers and they fattened up nicely, in my limited test I noticed a considerable difference in lower buds density and quality.

Side lighting favours one side of the crop so to get complete coverage around the sides is far more expensive, under lighting however can be done in a lot more affordable way.

I do utilise side lighting but mainly in veg, I threw one in the other day, this will eventually be moved to underneath when I switch.

Tag along for the ride and see what you think.
These users thanked the author sir-scrogalot for the post (total 2):
Wardrobe Farming (Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:27 pm) • Greenfingers (Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:25 pm)

sir-scrogalot

Post by sir-scrogalot »

KD wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:33 am
You know the tops of the leaves are where the photosynthesis happens right? Cause plants evolved to process light coming from above right? Ask NorthernScrogger on Instagram, I promise you... It does nothing but waste money
Leaves will turn to the light, they will turn to receive the most intense source of light they can find. When running a two tier scrog lighting pointing upwards to the lower section of the scrog massively increases par in that area, its a way of improving penetration right through the canopy. If it was a 1 net scrog then you're right it won't do much as everything below the net is cut away, however on a 2 net scrog under lighting makes a big difference, for example in a 2ft x 4ft space it could be the difference between 2_3 ounces of Lower popcorn trim becoming quality bud. You could honestly be look g at 20% or more improvement In end product. Not to be sniffed at.
These users thanked the author sir-scrogalot for the post (total 2):
KD (Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:30 am) • biosynthetic (Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:40 pm)

sir-scrogalot

Post by sir-scrogalot »

Hmr81 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:02 am
I mean side lighting has some possible benefits , after all the sun isn't directly over plants all day but I'm struggling with the concept of under lighting tbh. Seems like spending money for no reason to me but will be interested to see what u do.
Stay tuned an see what happens because under lighting has great benefits if used correctly

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Hey sir-scrogalot

Yh ive thought about this before ......be interesting to see your results
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post:
sir-scrogalot (Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:00 pm)

Return to “Cannabis Growing”