Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Soil mix ideas.

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Soil mix ideas.

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

So GMO's excellent diary with his guide on how he mixes his soil got me thinking about soil mix (specifically mine!) and what is a good idea to put in there.

I'm new to this growing hobby so thought I'd chuck in what I have learnt during the couple of months since I've started: biobizz all mix is too hot for seedlings and will burn the tips but they pretty much grow out of this.
For my seedlings I use verve seedling soil and some perlite.
When I pot up I was planning on using a 1/3 organic compost, 1/3 biobizz all mix (still got 50l of the stuff to use) and a 1/3 worm castings. With some extra perlite thrown in.
Does this sound OK?
I'll be using plagron guano eventually and canna bio line of nutes and some plant magic calmag if needed.

Any other soil ideas out there?

'free your mind and your ass will follow'

diary link me do

"I fucking hate harvesting. I like planting the things and watering them, and looking after them, talking to them. I don't like fucking harvesting."

"You like smoking them, though."

"Oh, I like smoking them."
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Re: Soil mix ideas.

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

Also any ideas of when I should mix my soil ready? 3 weeks before?

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Sorry mate. Meant to reply sooner... been a crazy day at work

I've personally never used any if those soils or mixes

Are you hoping to create a soil that will last start to finish for auto or looking to build something for different stages of life for a photo

We got a new member Rodger smith who knows a fair wack about soils and Aspie knows alot about additives I believe

I would personally start by working out what ya want your soil to provide

Ie if it's for seedling, ya don't wanna make it too hot, if it's for pot up to veg, a lil hotter is fine, if it's for final pots then ya may wanna look at the NPK of ya additives to keep it balanced to the K side more than N

If ya building for autos, ya want it just a tad hot for the seedling but not so much they shrivel before they get started

Sorry for waffling on always happens with me sorry

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

It was for all stages really. But I was going to add some guano for flowering (possibly, might just add it to watering later on).

I've heard worm castings are like ice cream (cant have too much) and I wanted to add some compost just to keep it healthy really.

The biobizz can be hot but I think they should be able to handle it when I pot up.
GMOGreen wrote:Sorry mate. Meant to reply sooner... been a crazy day at work

Are you hoping to create a soil that will last start to finish for auto or looking to build something for different stages of life for a photo

We got a new member Rodger smith who knows a fair wack about soils and Aspie knows alot about additives I believe

Ie if it's for seedling, ya don't wanna make it too hot, if it's for pot up to veg, a lil hotter is fine, if it's for final pots then ya may wanna look at the NPK of ya additives to keep it balanced to the K side more than N

If ya building for autos, ya want it just a tad hot for the seedling but not so much they shrivel before they get started

BB
Known User

Post by BB »

ohlordyeah_420 wrote:It was for all stages really. But I was going to add some guano for flowering (possibly, might just add it to watering later on).

I've heard worm castings are like ice cream (cant have too much) and I wanted to add some compost just to keep it healthy really.

The biobizz can be hot but I think they should be able to handle it when I pot up.
GMOGreen wrote:Sorry mate. Meant to reply sooner... been a crazy day at work

Autos or photos bud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

Also it's for photos and I potted up from cups, to 2 litre, to 8 litre to 16 litre last time and it seemed to work well.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

ohlordyeah_420 wrote:Also it's for photos and I potted up from cups, to 2 litre, to 8 litre to 16 litre last time and it seemed to work well.

That's fair mate. The mix I put up last night is my standard... only thing that changes is the amount of charge (worm casting) I add. 1/4 strength for early on and 1/2 strength for potting on.

Is always easier to add more than remove some

Gain some idea from this thread but your 100% best of testing it for yaself. Just cos your grow style may be complete opposite to how I do things

BB
Known User

Post by BB »

Never used biobizz soil but am well versed in verve.
Verve and perlite are awesome for seedlings and veg.i use this every time.i then do a 50/50 mix of verve and Bat-special (excellent for flower).
Obviously there’s a wide range of nutrients that will be fine but organic teas will give best results for taste and smell imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

If you're using Verve, then invest in some dolomite lime. I like to add it months in advance. One heaped tablespoon per 5 litres. Mix well and keep damp.

You won't have any calmag issues.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Told ya they knew their shit

Return to “Cannabis Growing”