Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Advice on extractor fan and humidity

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
greenaubergine

Advice on extractor fan and humidity

Post by greenaubergine »

Hi all,

I want to know if I should upgrade to a better quality extractor fan or hook up existing fan to a speed controller?

Just setup a new grow tent, 50x100x180, and installed a little hygrometer. Humidity seems to be between 60-65%. I've got a 5" filter and 5" swift air inline fan, it's budget and not the best bit of kit. It moves 190m3 apparently so the air exchange should be more than adequate after accounting for tent location, duct length etc. Currently using the passive intake vents.

The fan is connected to a temp controller so if the temps drops below 22 the fan turns off. I don't think this is ideal and will be affecting humidity.

Looking for advice on best course of action to get my environment nice and consistent.

Thanks!

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Re: Advice on extractor fan and humidity

Post by bigbadbillybob »

i would be looking to upgrade your fan and filter,
these are essential items for a good result. environment is key.
i have a similar sized tent, its 60 x 120 x 160 m high and have a 5 inch rvk fan and a carboair filter, worked off a controller.
the fan size etc also depends on your lighting in there. And turning the fan off will cause your humidity to go through the roof and cause mould etc.
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post:
greenaubergine (Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:48 pm)

Wizard
Respected Member

Post by Wizard »

I have to agree with billy bob , keep that extraction fan on , if your above 50% rh in flower you asking for mould problems
These users thanked the author Wizard for the post:
greenaubergine (Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:48 pm)
We can get swept away by our thoughts,,or learn to step back and see them with clarity.
Easy to forget its a choice

greenaubergine

Post by greenaubergine »

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered a black orchid fan with built in temperature/speed controller.

For now I've closed up my passive intake and I'm using a small fan with the temp controller for active intake. MY current extractor is now just permanently on. Humidity currently at 56%.

Thanks again

flip
Known User

Post by flip »

Are there any other ways to lower RH?
I am also suffering from high humidity in the tent, although have a good extract and intake.
I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

If you are struggling with high humidity in flower my advice would be to get as much air movement in there as possible even if you have to bash them about a bit. Your extraction must be on 24/7 like the other guys said in the previous posts.

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

flip wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:48 am
I am also suffering from high humidity in the tent, although have a good extract and intake.
Dehumidifier is often the only way Flip you can try putting a heater in there to dry out the air a little and a defol can help if your tent groom is rammo.
These users thanked the author kbag for the post:
flip (Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:59 am)

flip
Known User

Post by flip »

kbag wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:53 am
flip wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:48 am
Dehumidifier is often the only way Flip you can try putting a heater in there to dry out the air a little and a defol can help if your tent groom is rammo.
Thanks! I was thinking of a bit of defol tonight so I'll do that. It's actually pretty humid generally at the moment where I am in the UK, so that is definitely not helping.

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

Thanks! I was thinking of a bit of defol tonight so I'll do that. It's actually pretty humid generally at the moment where I am in the UK, so that is definitely not helping
Its one of the hard things about growing in the U.K in the summer months High R/H is the norm with high temps. Flip if you keep a good air movement in your tent it will help for sure. It is that time of year where you start to see a lot of growers suffer from mold unfortunately part and parcel of growing in the U.K especially outside.

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”