Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Testing kit nft Blue lab or essentials?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
MediGrower

Testing kit nft Blue lab or essentials?

Post by MediGrower »

Looking at the available testing kits fot NFT hydro

im thinking either

the essentials ph pen and ec pen kit £80-90 (i hear these have limited uses 350 tests?)

or
the blue lab ph & ec pen kit £150 (unsure of lifespan)

the other query i have is the blue lab truncheons place. is this the same as EC pen or better (do i need both)

anyone who has experience with these or alternative solutions, advice would be greatly apreciated.

looking for the kit to give my first grow best chance of success

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Testing kit nft Blue lab or essentials?

Post by seymore_budz »

Bluelab is far better quality than essentials although the essentials work fine. Stay away from the essentials all in one as it sucks bad. Soooo many returns lol

My opinion is that if you're going to buy essentials, you may aswell buy a set of cheap amazon pens for a lot cheaper and juat as good quality. Bluelab meters are far better quality and their aftersales support is second to none. All will work, bluelab will last longer. The bluelab truncheon is hard core, the only way you would break it is if you used it as a real truncheon lol
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
MediGrower (Mon May 11, 2020 12:00 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

MediGrower

Post by MediGrower »

Thanks GG

i was leaning toward the blue lab gear it looks the better kit.

would it be advisable to buy all three then?

or would it be a combo of BL pH pen combined with either CF pen or THE truncheon

as the BL kit i saw was 150 for the 2 pens Ph & CF/EC all the calibration cleaning bits n bobs with it

or the other option would be to buy seperately

in that case the PH pen £69 CF truncheon £74 plus maybe 10-20 more for cleanign or calibrating kits

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

MediGrower wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:07 pm
Thanks GG

i was leaning toward the blue lab gear it looks the better kit.

would it be advisable to buy all three then?

or would it be a combo of BL pH pen combined with either CF pen or THE truncheon

as the BL kit i saw was 150 for the 2 pens Ph & CF/EC all the calibration cleaning bits n bobs with it

or the other option would be to buy seperately

in that case the PH pen £69 CF truncheon £74 plus maybe 10-20 more for cleanign or calibrating kits
I'd go for the combo. You can run that in the tank all the time. Your PH proble will last longer and it's convenient to have it all on one display. The calibration fluid is ESSENTIAL! You'll beed to check your meters once a week. They will probably be OK or slightly drift, but you're relying on the data being accurate for a successful grow.

MediGrower

Post by MediGrower »

https://youtu.be/CN8BFZ9t6FA thats the £150 combo kit i think all the calibration fluid tools and cleaners are included.

this is more my style i dont fancy the fiddly ph fluid test kits that come with NFT kits.
im sure they can be good but i dont need the worry of missreading it.

you mention run in tank all the time? so i can just leave the meteres in the NFT solution tank? and watch the drift

yes i will have to do a little schedule reminder for things like the tool calibration and tank changes nutrient feeding schedule etc
as i understand a Ph drift is ok?
but i agree with you GG i dont want the testing Equipment to give a false reading within that swing or else its doubling up or canceling out.

only my first go but want to have best chance of success as you say and want the medicine to be as good as i can get it.

also due to health and more so with current lockdown situation its all postal i cant just run out and get bits last minute and you know better than me hydro NFT is not goin to wait a few days for me to get bits on the fly

so I want to get the right kit all in advance then go for it. at least i cant blame the tools then.

thanks again for advice/info as while i can go and get all the gear i still have no idea so thanks i appreciate the help :)

TTL
Known User

Post by TTL »

I think gg was thinking of the combo meter when he said you can run it in the tank all of the time.
These users thanked the author TTL for the post:
MediGrower (Mon May 11, 2020 3:53 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”