Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Increasing Light During Flower ISH3R

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Tictok
Known User

Increasing Light During Flower ISH3R

Post by Tictok »

Hey GR420

I am running the ISH3R in my 60x60 tent.

I am aware it's a lot of light for the size of the tent so I'm running it dimmed with a wattage meter.

The first run of RQS NL went well and I flowered successfully at 110watts. The buds were pretty dense. I also used a CO2 bag incase it was too much light.

My second run is More Cowbell from Bodhi and I really want to get the best out of it. I had an afghani #1 in there also until today.

I'm in week 4 after flip and I had cranked the light up to 132watts for a bit but the Afghani started to get a bit pale so I dimmed back to 110w.

Saw sense and ditched the afghani as it was still not showing flower after 4 weeks and it was smothering the More Cowbell.

The question is, if I progressively increase the wattage of the light, what should I be looking for that tells me it's getting too much?

If I increase wattage, do I stand a risk of stunting growth? Something I have to avoid as it's taken an age to find this female.

Only my second grow so any advice would be much appreciated.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post:
Nanook (Sat May 09, 2020 9:26 am)

Nanook
Respected Member

Re: Increasing Light During Flower ISH3R

Post by Nanook »

Look for light bleaching and slow growth. I also find with these lights I need to add charge and npk amino to run them bright or I got yellowing, I have no experience with co2 tho.
They are bright intense lights, be careful and do things gradually :)
These users thanked the author Nanook for the post:
Tictok (Sat May 09, 2020 9:51 am)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Nanook wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:29 am
Look for light bleaching and slow growth. I also find with these lights I need to add charge and npk amino to run them bright or I got yellowing, I have no experience with co2 tho.
They are bright intense lights, be careful and do things gradually :)
Thanks Nanook. Is the slow growth recoverable by dimming again do you think?

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Yeah, or by adding those 2 things I mentioned in my experience. Dim them for now and keep an eye :)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

This is an area I really need to nerd up on but from what I've read, here are my thoughts so far.

Cannabis will consume as much light as you can throw at it. You get diminishing returns when you reach over 1000ppfd without the addition of co2 to process the additional light. I've read the sun when overhead in summer hit's the ground at around 2000uMol/m2/s. If you know of an indoor light that potent, link me because I want one. I think like anything in this hooby, other factors play a leading role when you get light stress. Check everything else is in order as a rule of thumb before attributing the damage directly to lightburn.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 3):
Tictok (Sat May 09, 2020 10:33 am) • Dex (Sat May 09, 2020 11:43 am) • TTL (Sat May 09, 2020 12:47 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

grumpygrower wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:07 am
This is an area I really need to nerd up on but from what I've read, here are my thoughts so far.

Cannabis will consume as much light as you can throw at it. You get diminishing returns when you reach over 1000ppfd without the addition of co2 to process the additional light. I've read the sun when overhead in summer hit's the ground at around 2000uMol/m2/s. If you know of an indoor light that potent, link me because I want one. I think like anything in this hooby, other factors play a leading role when you get light stress. Check everything else is in order as a rule of thumb before attributing the damage directly to lightburn.
Thanks Grumpy, it's a fascinating subject. By your theory I should be able to bump it right up. I'll try building it gradually. I wonder if there is a way to measure the ppfd produced without expensive equipment.

Donkey222
Has thanked: 0

Post by Donkey222 »

Funnily enough I was messing about with the lux meter on my phone currently my ish530 is giving my plants about 65000 lumens from give or take 18" , outside yesterday at about 1pm I thought I'd see what the sun was punching out in my garden 110k + , as said above they can pretty much take anything aslong as everything else is good

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Donkey222 for the post (total 3):
seymore_budz (Sat May 09, 2020 10:38 am) • Dex (Sat May 09, 2020 11:57 am) • Tictok (Sun May 10, 2020 9:27 am)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Tictok wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:33 am
grumpygrower wrote:

Thanks Grumpy, it's a fascinating subject. By your theory I should be able to bump it right up. I'll try building it gradually. I wonder if there is a way to measure the ppfd produced without expensive equipment.
My opinion is you would only want one of those meters if your testing lights for reviews or if your setting up some big op with lots of lights and want to check consistently of coverage. In a small hobby setup, have faith in the manufacturers specs. You only want to reduce the light when growing weed if either the plants are stressed or recovering and not using the light or if you're trying to save some cash and not use so much energy.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 3):
Tictok (Sat May 09, 2020 10:46 am) • Dex (Sat May 09, 2020 11:58 am) • TTL (Sat May 09, 2020 12:47 pm)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

grumpygrower wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:42 am
Tictok wrote:
grumpygrower wrote:

My opinion is you would only want one of those meters if your testing lights for reviews or if your setting up some big op with lots of lights and want to check consistently of coverage. In a small hobby setup, have faith in the manufacturers specs. You only want to reduce the light when growing weed if either the plants are stressed or recovering and not using the light or if you're trying to save some cash and not use so much energy.
Cheers Grumpy, this makes for interesting reading. When I originally bought the light, Invisible Sun had it in their 60 x 60 section as the best in that class. I notice now that they've moved it to be for larger tents and I was concerned that it was too much light for the tent.

I've still got it at 60cm above the canopy so I'm confident I can increase it as I'm only a tad over half power.

This is good news, thank you.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post:
Dex (Sat May 09, 2020 11:59 am)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Tictok wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:50 am
grumpygrower wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:42 am
Tictok wrote:

Cheers Grumpy, this makes for interesting reading. When I originally bought the light, Invisible Sun had it in their 60 x 60 section as the best in that class. I notice now that they've moved it to be for larger tents and I was concerned that it was too much light for the tent.

I've still got it at 60cm above the canopy so I'm confident I can increase it as I'm only a tad over half power.

This is good news, thank you.
They are making adjustments all the time dude. None will be based on intensity and all will be based on coverage.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
Tictok (Sat May 09, 2020 11:13 am) • Dex (Sat May 09, 2020 11:59 am)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”