Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

lighting schedule

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Greenfingers
Known User

lighting schedule

Post by Greenfingers »

What is your lighting schedule from seed popping to flipping to 12/12 flower ? do they need dark when in veg ?

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Re: lighting schedule

Post by 2-Scoops »

24/7 and straight 12/12 for myself
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Greenfingers (Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:24 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

24/7 for seedlings, 18/6 when I remember to do the timer.... not often tbf - 12/12 :)
These users thanked the author Nanook for the post:
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

im a 18/6 man, 16/8 if im feeling cheap :lol:
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

I'm a 18/6 man myself. Plants consume co2 and produce sugars in the dark period. Google "the calvin cycle" for an interesting read. I've also read that autos are a bit different and do best under a 22/2 cycle as they don't need as much downtime and the more photons the plant can consume, the bigger the end result. I'm not sure if there's any truth in that though, it's just what I've read online :)
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
Greenfingers (Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:24 pm) • 2-Scoops (Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:18 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Greenfingers
Known User

Post by Greenfingers »

Also when do you find it's best to have your lights on or off, ie day or night ?

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Here`s summink ive been reading copied and pasted over tis a good read >

Cannabis plants can be grown under continuous 24/0 lighting. They do not require a dark phase to perform their basic functions of growth during the vegetative stage. There are plants that only can absorb carbon dioxide at night and thus require a dark period to complete photosynthesis. However, Cannabis is a C3 plant, which means that it takes in carbon dioxide during the day and does not require a dark cycle to complete the photosynthesis cycle. That said, there is reason to believe that certain strains may benefit from a dark cycle. Furthermore, as we explain below, the benefits of 24/0 lighting are minor and may not be worth the additional costs for electricity.

Just thinking about photosynthesis and the Calvin cycle has led many growers to the conclusion that 24/0 lighting is best for vegetative growth. However, there are additional factors to consider. Like other living organisms, plants are governed by a circadian rhythm and a hormonal clock system that functions in sync with a light on, light off cycle. Research has shown that there are important connections between a plant's internal clock and genetic expressions, which can play an important role in the overall health and performance of a plant. A massive review on continuous lighting studies has shown that some plants perform negatively while others perform positively when grown under 24/0 lighting.

The potential benefits of 24/0 lighting are somewhat faster vegetative growth. However, it comes at the expense of additional electricity. Because of diminishing returns, the growth realized during the “additional” light time may be less efficient. You are using 25% more electricity, but you may not realize 25% faster growth. Because of potential negative responses and less efficient returns from electricity, we recommend vegetating all cannabis plants under 18/6 lighting.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 3):
seymore_budz (Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:41 pm) • Greenfingers (Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:44 pm) • TommyT (Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:02 pm)

Twisted

Post by Twisted »

If I'm doing autos in the winter I do 24/0 to keep the environment good, in the summer I need the lights off the hottest part of the day, photos 18/6 then 12/12 I try get my lights off warmest part of day in summer to keep temps down.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Twisted for the post:
seymore_budz (Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

jimmi2scoops wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:17 pm
Here`s summink ive been reading copied and pasted over tis a good read >

Cannabis plants can be grown under continuous 24/0 lighting. They do not require a dark phase to perform their basic functions of growth during the vegetative stage. There are plants that only can absorb carbon dioxide at night and thus require a dark period to complete photosynthesis. However, Cannabis is a C3 plant, which means that it takes in carbon dioxide during the day and does not require a dark cycle to complete the photosynthesis cycle. That said, there is reason to believe that certain strains may benefit from a dark cycle. Furthermore, as we explain below, the benefits of 24/0 lighting are minor and may not be worth the additional costs for electricity.

Just thinking about photosynthesis and the Calvin cycle has led many growers to the conclusion that 24/0 lighting is best for vegetative growth. However, there are additional factors to consider. Like other living organisms, plants are governed by a circadian rhythm and a hormonal clock system that functions in sync with a light on, light off cycle. Research has shown that there are important connections between a plant's internal clock and genetic expressions, which can play an important role in the overall health and performance of a plant. A massive review on continuous lighting studies has shown that some plants perform negatively while others perform positively when grown under 24/0 lighting.

The potential benefits of 24/0 lighting are somewhat faster vegetative growth. However, it comes at the expense of additional electricity. Because of diminishing returns, the growth realized during the “additional” light time may be less efficient. You are using 25% more electricity, but you may not realize 25% faster growth. Because of potential negative responses and less efficient returns from electricity, we recommend vegetating all cannabis plants under 18/6 lighting.
Ahh awesome stuff! I just assumed all plants worked like that but didn't realise the calvin cycle is independent to the dark period. Thanks for sharing Jimmi2scoops, I think I'll still stick to my 18/6 though :D
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
2-Scoops (Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:48 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Seems to be the more cost effective way all round does 18/6 for possible growth rate you may get for extra cost on 24/7 @grumpygrower . 8-)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
seymore_budz (Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:03 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”