Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Advice needed. Changing growing style to fit my lack of attention.

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Herbalist
Bud Of The Year Winner 2022

Advice needed. Changing growing style to fit my lack of attention.

Post by Herbalist »

Howdy growroom.

So, im a bit of a busy fecker, and the last 2 grows have suffered horrifically. I put this down to under feeding and letting them dry out too much between waterings. Electricity being at a premium, i need to make sure that what im doing is worth while.

This brings me to my query.
I'm looking for something i can give as little input as possible.

I thought about auto pots but not sure it'll be less work with res changes and daily checks. Sometimes, lately, i can go 2/3 days without popping my head in the drobe. This thought made me think about living soil. At least if i need to get the mrs to throw some water at them i need not worry about her mixing nutes.

What do you guys n gals think? Is there a lazy option im missing?

If i go the living soil route, do you have a specific product you use? (Not got the time to mix my own soil) any tips welcome.

Thanks in advance growmies.
:pass:
These users thanked the author Herbalist for the post (total 2):
duke (Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:51 pm) • anova.330 (Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:05 pm)
Making plans with a stoner is like being with a prostitute. They tell you they’re coming, but you know it’s a lie.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Re: Advice needed. Changing growing style to fit my lack of attention.

Post by 2-Scoops »

Herbalist wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:20 pm
I thought about auto pots but not sure it'll be less work with res changes and daily checks.
You fill the rezz and set ph and ec and refill it when empty, so every week or so. Theirs no need to check anything once its set unless plants look shit, anyone that does is doing summink wrong, its automated for a reason so we can go naway on our hols lol. Checking ph and ec all time in your rezz in an automated system is a sure fire way to maddness, go with the rule of checking it if plants look dodgy and you wont go far wrong. Only thing that may need checking every now and then is your auto valves just to make sure they`re not sticking, more so in hard water areas. Its a great system and first i used must be 20 years ago now, you can and do smash it good style as well. If you decide to get the set up. Let me know and ill run you through it, so your not faffing about, well unless you feel urge to faff about then you`ll be at it all ferking time. Coco/perlite or straight coco is a great mix for that system.

Another set up that's even easier and cheaper is doing hempy grows in summink like a 15 ltr pot, you should only need to feed every 3 to 4 days with a fully grown plant or plant in full veg, running a 50/50 coco/perlite mix. Grumpy Toad runs hempy grows but not with the magic medium called coco. Never done true hempy grows although some growers would call my set up hempy its not really.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 4):
Herbalist (Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:37 pm) • duke (Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:52 pm) • Cave Hill Cole (Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:48 am) • TheCloudyChef (Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:38 am)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

im the same, im not going to lie here. Autopot with 50 Ltr res is a life saver for me. yes there was some trial and error with ph going haywire but adding a pump and air stone sorted that. with the pipes and valve etc just give a bloody good clean after the grow and you wont have an issue. P5 has taken over the tent for now so im not really growing but just helping her if she asks(which is wont because she knows much more than i). ive gone go the 60/40 clay balls and coco premixed(even to lazy to mix my own lol), im sure this grow will be the sweet spot! i can feel it in my bones lol.
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post (total 3):
Herbalist (Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:13 pm) • duke (Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:54 pm) • Cave Hill Cole (Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:48 am)
From the Garage of HMR
No Current Grow on, Point5 has the tent and is doing her lovely thing.

Herbalist

Post by Herbalist »

Swaying towards the 2 pot autopot system with 47ltr res.

What do you guys use for measuring PH and EC?
Dont really fancy forking over 80 quid each for the blue lab pens.
These users thanked the author Herbalist for the post (total 2):
duke (Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:54 pm) • 2-Scoops (Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:49 am)

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

yea ive got the 47lr res. honestly i dont measure EC but i use a fairly cheap PH pen ive had for about 3 years now, seems to calibrate ok.
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post (total 3):
MommaB (Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:19 pm) • Herbalist (Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:33 pm) • 2-Scoops (Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:50 am)

MommaB
Plant Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by MommaB »

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the auto pot tbh! Keeno has a Wilma and loves it.
These users thanked the author MommaB for the post (total 2):
Herbalist (Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:33 pm) • 2-Scoops (Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:50 am)
A Heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others- The Wizard of Oz

Wrh
Known User

Post by Wrh »

Herbalist wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:15 pm

Essentials pH and ec I use they last years I haven't bought one lately so don't know how much they are but they are cheaper than most and as hmr said you could get away without the ec pen but you would need the ph definitely. A mate of mine used auto pots for years and loved them he was a lorry driver and was only home at weekends he didn't have any problems. I did a couple of grows in 30 ltr pots of potting compost I only watered /fed them every 3 or 4 days even when they were in full flower if your not sure about autopots that method works well too, good luck
These users thanked the author Wrh for the post (total 3):
Hmr81 (Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:05 pm) • Herbalist (Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:33 pm) • 2-Scoops (Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:50 am)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Just to go against the grain... I also like wilma for coco like momma mentioned as well as sub irrigated "living" soil. Both I can leave for 10 days or longer depending how you manage plant/pot size

translated from the bongo of the canna jungle

These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 5):
Herbalist (Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:33 pm) • Wrh (Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:34 pm) • Treetrunk (Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:30 pm) • Hmr81 (Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:04 am) • 2-Scoops (Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:50 am)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Herbalist wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:15 pm

I use one these under £20 on Amazon and measures both ec, ph, temps, ppm, etc.

Only ever owned the cheaper scale with these typo tools and they all lasted years and years before they need replacing.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Herbalist (Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:26 pm)

Herbalist

Post by Herbalist »

Hmr81 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:17 pm
yea ive got the 47lr res. honestly i dont measure EC but i use a fairly cheap PH pen ive had for about 3 years now, seems to calibrate ok.
Could you possibly do me a solid?
Could you measure the width and depth of the res so i can see if it'll fit in the right side of the drobe?
Pretty please.
Cant seem to find the dimensions online.
Momma bear wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:20 pm
I’ve heard a lot of good things about the auto pot tbh! Keeno has a Wilma and loves it.
I have looked at autopots a few times over the years but was always too nervous about fiddling with ph and ec. Need must though so may aswell jump in head first.
Wrh wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:02 pm

Essentials pH and ec I use they last years I haven't bought one lately so don't know how much they are but they are cheaper than most and as hmr said you could get away without the ec pen but you would need the ph definitely. A mate of mine used auto pots for years and loved them he was a lorry driver and was only home at weekends he didn't have any problems. I did a couple of grows in 30 ltr pots of potting compost I only watered /fed them every 3 or 4 days even when they were in full flower if your not sure about autopots that method works well too, good luck
I did think of a bigger pot, wich then made me think about a 60/70ltr bed of living soil.
GMO wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:20 pm
Just to go against the grain... I also like wilma for coco like momma mentioned as well as sub irrigated "living" soil. Both I can leave for 10 days or longer depending how you manage plant/pot size

translated from the bongo of the canna jungle
This got my brian ticking. Never even heard of sub irrigated pots.
2-Scoops wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:53 am

I use one these under £20 on Amazon and measures both ec, ph, temps, ppm, etc.

Only ever owned the cheaper scale with these typo tools and they all lasted years and years before they need replacing.
Wonderful. Will just grab a cheapo one.

Thanks for the input peeps. Much appreciated.
:pass:
These users thanked the author Herbalist for the post:
MommaB (Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:30 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”