Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

F.I.M. (F**k it, I missed)

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Raziel40

F.I.M. (F**k it, I missed)

Post by Raziel40 »

I see folks topping their plants, and the term F.I.M. comes to mind. I haven't topped mine yet, because I would like some more info concerning this. 'F**k it' is rarely a great way to think, so I don't do it. Some photos, before and after, of this process would be greatly appreciated. If I understand this correctly, there is a 'sweet spot' of where to clip them to make the most 'breaks' of new growth. Folks with tremendous skill in this area only are invited to respond. I may be a newb, but I don't want the blind leading the blind...
Thank you all for your time and patience.
These users thanked the author Raziel40 for the post:
Inactive account (Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:37 am)

Philzon   Growroom420 Discord
camkush
GR420 Moobs Of The Year

Re: F.I.M. (F**k it, I missed)

Post by camkush »

ehhh ermmmm uhhh Interesting topic. Ill be honest buddy I have never heard of anyone purposely FIM'ing a plant. I FIM every single grow and have since I began. This is 100% due to my medication that makes me shaky. If you were to try and do it on purpose you would literally just need to do a proper Topping( there is a good thread on this if you'd like I grab it for you) but leave the bottom 25% of the area you are cutting.

Right after FIM

After recovery from 2nd FIM
Last edited by camkush on Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author camkush for the post (total 2):
Sage (Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:26 pm) • Raziel40 (Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:19 pm)
Roll Tide :barmy:
#ProtectDiscord

Rawreefer
Grow Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by Rawreefer »

I would have responded but i feel my skills are only mediocre.....lol

Sage
Respected Member

Post by Sage »

I don't have pics but FIM according to legend was just that a mistake. They noticed getting 4 instead of 2 new growth spots so some do for that. I do it sometimes, way I see it is worse case scenario you still get the 2 that a regular topping would provide you.
Anyone that has time for drama is not gardening enough.

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

Its just another topping technique, instead of removing the full crown node when you normally top to get 2 new fresh crown nodes, you cut on an angle and leave 20-30% of the crown node behind. The desired outcome being you get 3 or 4 new crown nodes growing out of the FIM site instead of just 2 you would get with normal topping.

Nothing better than personal experience IMO, give it a try and see if it works out for you. Plants are tough if you keep them healthy, they bounce back from all kinds of abuse if you give them time. "mainline" topping is another technique to produce multiple colas/tops. I would mess around and try as many types of training/topping you can and find the best that works for you.
Weed will get me through times of no money, better than money will get me through times of no weed - Robert Sabbag, Smoke Screen

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Fimming worked with mixed results for me, it tends to cause weird buds when i am looking for uniformity.
I do my topping a little differently now, been trying to find some good photos but having trouble, i like to cut the tip so there is just one node, a diagonal cut, that gets rid of the centre node and the highest side node leaving just one node at the tip. Hard to explain and cant find the right photos to show
These users thanked the author Vador for the post (total 2):
Raziel40 (Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:16 pm) • 2-Scoops (Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:50 pm)
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

Vador wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:40 pm
Fimming worked with mixed results for me, it tends to cause weird buds when i am looking for uniformity.
I do my topping a little differently now, been trying to find some good photos but having trouble, i like to cut the tip so there is just one node, a diagonal cut, that gets rid of the centre node and the highest side node leaving just one node at the tip. Hard to explain and cant find the right photos to show
:Stoned: yup..I get you. :Stoned:
These users thanked the author JJ for the post:
Vador (Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:31 am)

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

yea, im with @Vador , tends to produce some weird looking leaves but being a wimp i tend to let my wife @Point 5 to do it as its got a good technique and doesnt tend to miss.
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post (total 2):
Vador (Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:31 am) • Raziel40 (Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:16 pm)
From the Garage of HMR
No Current Grow on, Point5 has the tent and is doing her lovely thing.

Raziel40

Post by Raziel40 »

Didn't mean to offend anyone with the 'pros only' thing just want good, clean technique if there is to be had. At this point, I don't want to cause any unnatural deviations because it is an awesome med strain, and I want her to be as close to optimal as possible, so experimentation isn't a favorable thought right now. If a result is repeatable using a certain method, that's what I want to learn.

Raziel40

Post by Raziel40 »

Cave Hill Cole wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:53 pm
Its just another topping technique, instead of removing the full crown node when you normally top to get 2 new fresh crown nodes, you cut on an angle and leave 20-30% of the crown node behind. The desired outcome being you get 3 or 4 new crown nodes growing out of the FIM site instead of just 2 you would get with normal topping.

Nothing better than personal experience IMO, give it a try and see if it works out for you. Plants are tough if you keep them healthy, they bounce back from all kinds of abuse if you give them time. "mainline" topping is another technique to produce multiple colas/tops. I would mess around and try as many types of training/topping you can and find the best that works for you.
Thank you, this was very informative! Next crop will get experimented with, I just don't want to do anything to mess up my two med strains. I found your post concise....I appreciate it!
These users thanked the author Raziel40 for the post:
Cave Hill Cole (Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:56 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”