Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

2 lights 1 timer. Will i burn my house down?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Herbalist
Bud Of The Year Winner 2022

2 lights 1 timer. Will i burn my house down?

Post by Herbalist »

Howdy growroom.
Question.....
Could i plug a 2 plug extension into 1 timer (already plugged into a surge protected extension) and run my 2 L.E.D's?

Im hesitant about plugging an extension into another but cant get 2 timers in the original extension.
My HLG draws 150w at full wack and the I.S B60 draws 70w. Timer is rated for 3120w and 13A aparrently.

ImageImage

So what do y'all think?
Will i burn the house down?
Is there a technical issue with running 2 L.E.D's on a single timer that im missing?
Cheers in advance. Bigup growroom.
These users thanked the author Herbalist for the post (total 2):
GMO (Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:02 pm) • biosynthetic (Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:03 pm)
Making plans with a stoner is like being with a prostitute. They tell you they’re coming, but you know it’s a lie.

camkush
GR420 Moobs Of The Year

Re: 2 lights 1 timer. Will i burn my house down?

Post by camkush »

Never know till you try. Lol

Naw unless I’m completely wrong I would think your okay doing the 2 lights in that timer as max wattage for it is wayyy higher than what the 2 lights pull. The power extension into another surge protector is my only hesitant. Someone smarter will be along soon.

What all is currently running on the surge protector and extension? Is it just Fans on surge protector and extension is for the timer?
Last edited by camkush on Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author camkush for the post (total 2):
GMO (Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:02 pm) • Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:07 pm)
Roll Tide :barmy:
#ProtectDiscord

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

i dont think its an issue mate. i ran a 240w led and 400w hps on the same timer (cheaper than your timer)
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 2):
camkush (Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:03 pm) • Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:07 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Herbalist

Post by Herbalist »

camkush wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:01 pm
Never know till you try. Lol

Naw unless I’m completely wrong I would think your okay doing the 2 lights in that timer as max wattage for it is wayyy higher than what the 2 lights pull. The power extension into another surge protector is my only hesitant. Someone smarter will be along soon.

What all is currently running on the surge protector and extension? Is it just Fans on surge protector and extension is for the timer?
Cheers Cam.
So all that is running on the extension is my extractor fan 24w and p.c circulation fans which are 11w.
GMO wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:02 pm
i dont think its an issue mate. i ran a 240w led and 400w hps on the same timer (cheaper than your timer)
Thats encouraging. Cheers MO

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

What have you got plugged into the other extension your chaining in to?

I have the same problem with th3 fat tp link plugs.

I daisy chain an 6 gang extension into the tent which has a clip on fan, and my eco fan and from.time.to.time a hub for temp monitoring. This extension plugs into my 6 gang which runs the fan controller, my 600w hps/400w LED. That's then plugged into the socket in the garage which goes to a 16a breaker. The garage only has a light and 2 gang sockets. The other socket connects to my garden switch box which is max 13a but nothing on that runs at 13a.

I just did the calculations so at least you have peace of mind. For an extra precaution install an auto.fire extinguinisher. I'm.replacing my dry powder ones with Mabo's.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:15 pm)

Herbalist

Post by Herbalist »

wutang wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:14 pm

I daisy chain an 6 gang extension into the tent which has a clip on fan, and my eco fan and from.time.to.time a hub for temp monitoring. This extension plugs into my 6 gang which runs the fan controller, my 600w hps/400w LED. That's then plugged into the socket in the garage which goes to a 16a breaker. The garage only has a light and 2 gang sockets. The other socket connects to my garden switch box which is max 13a but nothing on that runs at 13a.

I just did the calculations as GMO has mentioned so at least you have peace of mind. For an extra precaution install an auto.fire extinguinisher. I'm.replacing my dry powder ones with Mabo's.
All that is running on the extension currently is my extractor fan 24w and p.c circulation fans which are 11w and my HLG led 150w at max. All low amperage stuff.
As for the auto fire extinguisher. Thank you for reminding me. Will be hanging a 2kg auto powder extinguisher above the drobe. Im in a fairly small room so should be plenty.
Cheers Wu 🍻
These users thanked the author Herbalist for the post:
wutang (Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:47 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Herbalist wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:17 pm
wutang wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:14 pm

I just did the calculations as GMO has mentioned so at least you have peace of mind. For an extra precaution install an auto.fire extinguinisher. I'm.replacing my dry powder ones with Mabo's.
All that is running on the extension currently is my extractor fan 24w and p.c circulation fans which are 11w and my HLG led 150w at max. All low amperage stuff.
As for the auto fire extinguisher. Thank you for reminding me. Will be hanging a 2kg auto powder extinguisher above the drobe. Im in a fairly small room so should be plenty.
Cheers Wu 🍻
I think you should be fine mate. As long as every socket in your house isn't drawing 13amps you should be fine. It's pretty straight forward to calculate and work it all out.

I had powder units but I replaced them with Mabos. I learnt recently that Dry powder will destroy everything in its vicinity including electronic equipment etc. Whereas the c02 and the mabos won't. The mabos are a bit more, but they are easier to install, have a 10 year shelf life too.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:30 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Your extension should be 13 amp which you can run 13amp x 240volts = 3000+W (Amp X Volt = Watts). The heavy duty timer is used just for the initial "switch on" surge from quite a few watts all sat once cus the cheaper timers use crappy relays that can stick on and that can be a possible fire hazzard, where as the heavyweight timer that shouldn`t happen, but yours is rated 3000+watts.To run 2 lights from it just plug in a decent 13amp rated extension that's got a short lead, that`s your safest bet i wouldn`t go using any cube like plastic plug in that gives you option to plug in 2 or 3 plugs, those things are nasty. Wilko`s is your place, just make sure its not surge protected and about 1metre or shorter long is best bet.

All my grow room is ran through one 13amp heavy duty extension lead that's used on stage at gigs etc, (just thicker gauge wire), which takes a 600watt heater + 2 lights and rest of it, but it only ever equates to around hmm.... fuck knows to be exact but off top of my head its not pulling 2000watts. But for my 2 lights i use a 2 plug timer relay that is plugged into my extension, not that it should hurt you plugging a decent13amp heavy duty extension cable in that relay plug so you can plug 2 or more lights in.

I never use surge protection extensions that's doing feck all except causing shit to trip out in your grow area. What surge protection means on extensions is if theirs a power surge which comes from the power station/plant down the line to your house (which happens lots a day) it will trip the power off, but they trip it off for slightest surge, ideally these typo extensions are used to protect computers, possibly tv`s and shit like that, but really no point in your groom, it will just be constant headache.

Long and short of it its not ideal we know what's ideal, but again all numbers add up to safe as can be. Shit should just trip out your main household fuse board if their was a problem before fires occur, well that's if your fuse board is up to date like it should be in most UK homes. That works both ways too for incoming surges if its big enough to cause a worry, but those surge protected leads are too touchy.

What hanging fire extinguishers are you @wutang & @Herbalist using ? Its summink I've been meaning to get for time now. Any links. Cheers guys.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
wutang (Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:00 pm) • Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:30 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

If your worried you might think about using a contactor, it uses two plugs, one goes into the mains for power and the other goes into a timer socket, then it draws power from two sockets but doesn’t overload your timer
These users thanked the author Vador for the post:
Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:30 pm)
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

2-Scoops wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:54 pm
Your extension should be 13 amp which you can run 13amp x 240volts = 3000+W (Amp X Volt = Watts). The heavy duty timer is used just for the initial "switch on" surge from quite a few watts all sat once cus the cheaper timers use crappy relays that can stick on and that can be a possible fire hazzard, where as the heavyweight timer that shouldn`t happen, but yours is rated 3000+watts.To run 2 lights from it just plug in a decent 13amp rated extension that's got a short lead, that`s your safest bet i wouldn`t go using any cube like plastic plug in that gives you option to plug in 2 or 3 plugs, those things are nasty. Wilko`s is your place, just make sure its not surge protected and about 1metre or shorter long is best bet.

All my grow room is ran through one 13amp heavy duty extension lead that's used on stage at gigs etc, (just thicker gauge wire), which takes a 600watt heater + 2 lights and rest of it, but it only ever equates to around hmm.... fuck knows to be exact but off top of my head its not pulling 2000watts. But for my 2 lights i use a 2 plug timer relay that is plugged into my extension, not that it should hurt you plugging a decent13amp heavy duty extension cable in that relay plug so you can plug 2 or more lights in.

I never use surge protection extensions that's doing feck all except causing shit to trip out in your grow area. What surge protection means on extensions is if theirs a power surge which comes from the power station/plant down the line to your house (which happens lots a day) it will trip the power off, but they trip it off for slightest surge, ideally these typo extensions are used to protect computers, possibly tv`s and shit like that, but really no point in your groom, it will just be constant headache.

Long and short of it its not ideal we know what's ideal, but again all numbers add up to safe as can be. Shit should just trip out your main household fuse board if their was a problem before fires occur, well that's if your fuse board is up to date like it should be in most UK homes. That works both ways too for incoming surges if its big enough to cause a worry, but those surge protected leads are too touchy.

What hanging fire extinguishers are you @wutang & @Herbalist using ? Its summink I've been meaning to get for time now. Any links. Cheers guys.
Hey dude. Hope you're good.

I got this when they had 20% on, so came to around 112 delivered:

https://www.londongrow.com/products/mab ... tinguisher

Check out the YouTube videos of this particular one, it doesn't damage stuff if it goes off either.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post (total 2):
Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:30 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:41 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”