Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

2 lights 1 timer. Will i burn my house down?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Herbalist
Bud Of The Year Winner 2022

Re: 2 lights 1 timer. Will i burn my house down?

Post by Herbalist »

So. I only have one socket available for the original extension lead so if i go with a, not surge protected 1m 2gang extension it should be good in that timer.
BIGUP @2-Scoops @wutang @Vador

And @2-Scoops i was just gonna use one of these........ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183775784495 ... media=COPY
These users thanked the author Herbalist for the post:
2-Scoops (Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:46 pm)
Making plans with a stoner is like being with a prostitute. They tell you they’re coming, but you know it’s a lie.

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Herbalist wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:41 pm
So. I only have one socket available for the original extension lead so if i go with a, not surge protected 1m 2gang extension it should be good in that timer.

And @2-Scoops i was just gonna use one of these........ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183775784495 ... media=COPY
I replaced my fireblitz units with the mabo. Company called safefiredirect I think were the cheapest. They also have a discount code floating around. If you decide to go with dry powder then PM me and I'll send it to you. They only have a 5 year shelf life whereas the Mabo they state 10, but should be good upto 15 years.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post (total 2):
Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:58 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:04 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

wutang wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:01 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:54 pm
Your extension should be 13 amp which you can run 13amp x 240volts = 3000+W (Amp X Volt = Watts). The heavy duty timer is used just for the initial "switch on" surge from quite a few watts all sat once cus the cheaper timers use crappy relays that can stick on and that can be a possible fire hazzard, where as the heavyweight timer that shouldn`t happen, but yours is rated 3000+watts.To run 2 lights from it just plug in a decent 13amp rated extension that's got a short lead, that`s your safest bet i wouldn`t go using any cube like plastic plug in that gives you option to plug in 2 or 3 plugs, those things are nasty. Wilko`s is your place, just make sure its not surge protected and about 1metre or shorter long is best bet.

All my grow room is ran through one 13amp heavy duty extension lead that's used on stage at gigs etc, (just thicker gauge wire), which takes a 600watt heater + 2 lights and rest of it, but it only ever equates to around hmm.... fuck knows to be exact but off top of my head its not pulling 2000watts. But for my 2 lights i use a 2 plug timer relay that is plugged into my extension, not that it should hurt you plugging a decent13amp heavy duty extension cable in that relay plug so you can plug 2 or more lights in.

I never use surge protection extensions that's doing feck all except causing shit to trip out in your grow area. What surge protection means on extensions is if theirs a power surge which comes from the power station/plant down the line to your house (which happens lots a day) it will trip the power off, but they trip it off for slightest surge, ideally these typo extensions are used to protect computers, possibly tv`s and shit like that, but really no point in your groom, it will just be constant headache.

Long and short of it its not ideal we know what's ideal, but again all numbers add up to safe as can be. Shit should just trip out your main household fuse board if their was a problem before fires occur, well that's if your fuse board is up to date like it should be in most UK homes. That works both ways too for incoming surges if its big enough to cause a worry, but those surge protected leads are too touchy.

What hanging fire extinguishers are you @wutang & @Herbalist using ? Its summink I've been meaning to get for time now. Any links. Cheers guys.
Hey dude. Hope you're good.

I got this when they had 20% on, so came to around 112 delivered:

https://www.londongrow.com/products/mab ... tinguisher

Check out the YouTube videos of this particular one, it doesn't damage stuff if it goes off either.
Ahh yes I've seen these, man im tight git though. Ok that's laughable when it comes to fires, but i was looking more at the powder type you hang that will work just as good if a fire just a bit messier but more than half cost of these. Not that im planning on a fire. Cheers mate
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:02 pm) • wutang (Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:13 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Yes these were the ones I was thinking about well summink similar @Herbalist , but yes i think its about time i bought myself one and install it after I've cropped this grow down.

What does it measure from top hanger to fire point at bottom roughly ? Cheers man. 8-)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:02 pm)

Herbalist

Post by Herbalist »

2-Scoops wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:51 pm

Yes these were the ones I was thinking about well summink similar @Herbalist , but yes i think its about time i bought myself one and install it after I've cropped this grow down.

What does it measure from top hanger to fire point at bottom roughly ? Cheers man. 8-)
I shall let you know measurements when it arrives mate 😉
2-Scoops (Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:50 pm)

Herbalist

Post by Herbalist »

wutang wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:55 pm
Herbalist wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:41 pm

I replaced my fireblitz units with the mabo. Company called safefiredirect I think were the cheapest. They also have a discount code floating around. If you decide to go with dry powder then PM me and I'll send it to you. They only have a 5 year shelf life whereas the Mabo they state 10, but should be good upto 15 years.
Been having a ganders and they look like good bits of kit. Times are tough at the mo so if i can accomplish the same thing for half the price then i will lol. It may kill my equipment and be a mess but still rather that than a cooked house.
Cheers Wu. :puff puff:
wutang (Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:14 pm)

biosynthetic
Known User

Post by biosynthetic »

I've got the same timer with an extension plugged in, ran an fbar and ish265 a couple times with no problems and on the last run an inkbird controller was also plugged in with a 600w radiator into that, so that the radiator was only on when lights were on. It's a quality timer the plug and grow :oik!:
These users thanked the author biosynthetic for the post:
Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:39 pm)

Grumpy Toad
Known User

Post by Grumpy Toad »

I have two LED lights on a single timer and feel comfortable with it. Everything is well within specs. I also have a smoke detector in my tent and another in my lung room. Belt & suspenders!
These users thanked the author Grumpy Toad for the post:
Herbalist (Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:45 pm)
Birthplace: Earth
Race: Human
Politics: Freedom
Religion: Love

Wabi-Sabi Garden

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Herbalist wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:03 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:51 pm

I shall let you know measurements when it arrives mate 😉
Been checking them out and i found em 220mm on 2kg unit 160mm`ish on the 1kg unit. Cheers mukka.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Herbalist (Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:57 pm)

Trex

2 lights 1 timer. Will i burn my house down?

Post by Trex »

Your timer states you are good for 3120watts . Add up your lights wattage and verify , its easy peasy . When all else fails read the instructions buddy

"When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.” Proverbs 29:2
These users thanked the author Trex for the post:
Herbalist (Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:57 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”