Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Drying and curing..your tried and true

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Nom
Known User

Re: Drying and curing..your tried and true

Post by Nom »

After a couple of years using a bowl trimmer and a drying net and getting it not quite right the majority of the time I've changed my method and had much better results. So i take of the fans, leave the rest, hang it for atleast a week, when the lil stems snap I take it down and put it in a tote as it is for another week or so with monitors. If it gets down to 65rh I put some bovedas in, then I take the buds off the stems and leave them in the tote for another week with bovedas. When in the tote i agitate daily. After that I jar it. Seems to be working for me

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

wutang wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:31 pm
I've still not got it right. Got a harvest soon and I think before I have overdried..plus my drying conditions being crap as I've had to dry inside the garage so had to keep the tent heated.

The snapping theory I still can't get right..as I've followed it before and that's why I've always ended up oveedried.

This time using a bowl trimmer trimming wet then hanging racks. Drying indoors in a small tent with the filter on the outside of the tent. We'll see
If ya using bowl trimmer doing and it wet then this time of year it should need around 7 to 9 days hanging, no heaters on but a small fan that's on low not pointed at buds, just to keep air moving around in their, then jarring up its around 70rh or their about give or take, but in Summer it might only need 5 to 7 days hanging. This is just running at room temps inside a house and whatever temp it is at that time of year in the grow room in dark. Kinda a rough ass guide for ya`s mukka 8-)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

MommaB
Plant Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by MommaB »

Thank y’all this is perfect!!
A Heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others- The Wizard of Oz

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

I dry in my tent at 17c and a fan on but not directly at the bud that's hanging off the net. Usually 7 to 9 days in spring and summer before they feel about ready, small branches snap and larger bend then snap is kind of my method. Drying in winter currently and it's day ten and they still aren't ready to start in the curing jars. I can see it being another four days before they are ready.
From the Garage of HMR
No Current Grow on, Point5 has the tent and is doing her lovely thing.

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Whole plant hang in the tent, preferably with just the filter running but sometimes I need other plants to grow so it's in there lights on n all the gubbins.

Pull fan leaves off after 3 or so days when they are limper than a bizkit kid.

After a week, start to give them buds a squeeze and when they feel firm and crisp and the stalks are snappable, chop the buds off the stems, pull any smaller fans off at that time, then sling it into a big 42L plastic tub.

Lid on and an RH monitor in there, if it sits at 60% for the night, it gets jarred up... BUT I'm now starting to vac seal it and sling it in the fridge for 6 months.

Yes it may look like brick weed but It's seriously smelly like a welly and takes up less space than jars in the fridge.

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

2-Scoops wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:33 pm
wutang wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:31 pm
I've still not got it right. Got a harvest soon and I think before I have overdried..plus my drying conditions being crap as I've had to dry inside the garage so had to keep the tent heated.

The snapping theory I still can't get right..as I've followed it before and that's why I've always ended up oveedried.

This time using a bowl trimmer trimming wet then hanging racks. Drying indoors in a small tent with the filter on the outside of the tent. We'll see
If ya using bowl trimmer doing and it wet then this time of year it should need around 7 to 9 days hanging, no heaters on but a small fan that's on low not pointed at buds, just to keep air moving around in their, then jarring up its around 70rh or their about give or take, but in Summer it might only need 5 to 7 days hanging. This is just running at room temps inside a house and whatever temp it is at that time of year in the grow room in dark. Kinda a rough ass guide for ya`s mukka 8-)
Thanks again brother!

fabi420

Post by fabi420 »

So far I've always let it hang out for around 1-2 weeks and then packed it in a not completely closed zipper until I liked it. Then in glasses. But I was never really satisfied with my terps, I will try something different this time. The first thing to think of is the paper bags. Nice topic here 💪💪
FLO & H2O !

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

She's a hard road finding the perfect dry & cure method.

For me, the biggest issue I missed out on was a "cure step". We all seem to hang dry fairly the same. I then would go from the 2 week line dry to the jarring process and expect my flower to cure in the jars. Now I add a cure step, after the line dry and before the jarring process.

I've been playing around with the paper bag cure method. I wrote a recent post about this (A New Cure Method for the Terpiest Terps Possible?). Allowing the flowers (while still attached to the branches and stems) to cure for 2 weeks in the paper bags, before the jarring, really elevates the taste and flavour of the final product. But its an extra step and takes a little extra work. From now on, I will always do the paper bag cure before jarring.

Oh also, I am going to say something unpopular here (if you dry this way, don't hate me)...but I never put fans inside drying tents, never, indirectly or not. I have tried this many times and i have ruined or hay smelled my flowers every time. I never put fans inside the tent. Outside the tent, in the lung room, I have dehumidifiers and a heatpump and fans blowing cold air around the room. This is sufficient, as the closed tent will suck the fresh air in from the tents vents. I have never had any mould issues yet and I never line dry for less than 2 weeks usually, low and slow is the game as they say. However, I am well aware that my methods, work best for me, in my countries climate with my setup...everyone's variables will be different so may work differently.

Paper bags are a game changer when done correctly. Best of luck! You will know when you hit on a good method.
Weed will get me through times of no money, better than money will get me through times of no weed - Robert Sabbag, Smoke Screen

Mafooo
Known User

Post by Mafooo »

Glad to read a follow up post from you on the paper baggage Cole. Seems JJ been getting results with that too. Will deffo be giving this a shot come chop soon my end. Someday when I buy a few more of them cheap RH meters I may also try the tote cure method as Nom and Hmr suggested. Am also intrigued about all this jar or vac pack fridge curing......

Thanks everyone for being open about your experiences. I don't have anything groundbreaking to share. I nip off fans then hang dry 6-12" stems in my open basement with a dehumidifier running and no fans until stems snap and trim into jars. I usually burp jars often for a week then get lazy and leave em to their own devices. My pitfall point is sometimes I overdry during my line hanging and it just goes hay on me. Also, I had some rot on a couple fat colas I left on the main stem in the jar. Saved most of the flower there but still sad to come back to a jar when in need and see that awful fuzz. I need to get some humidity packs asap.

With this method in my neck of the woods I can still get terpy strains to shine but I'd like to see if the paper bag or tote phase helps solidify those results.

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

So this is the first time..I'm Drying without an extractor fan at room temps. Just a ram 10" clip on at the bottom of thr gc60 pointed horizontal (not flowing at buds) underneath the handing net

Wet trimmed using bowl trimmer

Humidity is 70% inside tent .last night it was around 77% so I guess it's beginning to dry a little.

Last few grows and dries were awful so I still ended up with hay for weed that got me smoked anyway.

+1 for bowl trimmer like some of the others have mentioned..gave me back some of my life...

Fingers crossed and I pray to the canna gods let me have some dank smelling bud.

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”