Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Trim bags, are they any good?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Wayne36
Known User

Re: Trim bags, are they any good?

Post by Wayne36 »

I have seen them do very well there just so expensive.

Breeders Collective   Barney's Farm
Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

I think the question to ask is ... why bother trimming at all???

Whip the fan leaves off and snip the buds off after a whole plant hang for a couple of weeks and into jars.

No aches or pains and every trichome is still attached to the buds.

When I get a bud out the jar, I can deal with any unwanted stuff then, most of it crumbles away when you break them up ready to grind anyway.

I've just saved you £250 quid pounds! I'll take 50% advisors fee please. :running-around:

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Sage wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:03 am
I have one and like it, you just have to make sure your weed isn't too dry or doesn't work well.
Yeah i bet if its too dry or if you get that heat stressed fluff weed then youll just end up with a load of sticks left lol
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:45 am
I think the question to ask is ... why bother trimming at all???

Whip the fan leaves off and snip the buds off after a whole plant hang for a couple of weeks and into jars.

No aches or pains and every trichome is still attached to the buds.

When I get a bud out the jar, I can deal with any unwanted stuff then, most of it crumbles away when you break them up ready to grind anyway.

I've just saved you £250 quid pounds! I'll take 50% advisors fee please. :running-around:
Thats a very good point actually, that’s exactly what i do with my popcorn anyway, fuck it your right, easier to pull it off while making a joint than it is trimming ounces at a time

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

wutang wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:19 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:36 pm
Takes me no longer than an hour to trim 10 to 20 oz of bud with one of these, I've usually smashed lot out and cleaned everything up within an hour tbh. I dont use scissors except for chopping thick stalks that are full of weed from plant. Basically i pull away all fan leaves from around buds with my hand, then i nip all bud away from stem with my finger and nails and fill the trimmer up and 15 turns or so jobs done. Plenty of nice trim left behind for cooking shit up as well. But man i swear the machine i use saves me hours and hours faffing around with weed on chop day. One of the best ever weed stuff buys by far. Never used but i have seen the trim bags on sale and thought costly for what they are. 8-)

I'm just about to do my 4 plants on this bad boy. Do you do it wet or dry out of interest? I'm going for wet
I do it all wet. The only thing i try to do is add similar sized bud to bowl and dont overfill it or spin the fucker too fast, but 10 to 15 spins and buds done all trimmed up. I think mine is smallest one at 18inches but it it sure smashes it out. 8-)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Vador wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:52 am
I think the only option is to get a trim bin and try that and see if it helps me, also make a cheap tumbler out of some chicken wire and test both methods off against each other and see what works best for me.
Those tumbler things i see are great for collecting dry kief trichomes as well, all you`ve gotta do is cover it in desired micron sleeve but i seen one or two vids just use cheese cloth or suimmink like. Stick a clean mirror underneath it and watch the snow fall 8-)

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Ive been meaning to build one for kief for a while now @2-Scoops, got the parts drawn up in cad ready to 3d print but never got round to printing it.
The thought also crossed my mind about building it multi purpose and have two different drums.
Someone shared me a link to one for £90 i think it was, 150 micron drum or something, would be easy to knock up another drum for trimming.
Even an old carbon filter could be re purposed, havent got one spare at the moment though.
Kief drums are a little more tricky as they have to be sealed up well enough to stop plant material leaking through, the trimming drum just cable ties and chicken wire would do it i guess.

I feel im not well tooled up to build a sifting drum on the scale i want that doesn’t leak, the rest of it like motors and electronics no problem, arduino controlling the motor and have it run for set amounts of time changing directions every now and then.

Going to re visit the diy sifting drum this evening and see what results i can muster then go from there

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Look at this drum shaped bbq, something like this should be easily modified, cheap price as well

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Vador wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:55 pm
I feel im not well tooled up to build a sifting drum on the scale i want that doesn’t leak, the rest of it like motors and electronics no problem, arduino controlling the motor and have it run for set amounts of time changing directions every now and then.

Going to re visit the diy sifting drum this evening and see what results i can muster then go from there
How big does it need to be?

2 circular blocks of wood with some all thread down the middle, 4 bolts to hold the ends in place and a T shirt screen print mesh that sits in a routed groove in the ends is as simple as I've seen them on these forums.

You sound like you got the electrickery bit sorted?

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

I wanted to try avoid using wood tbh @Marcus, pretty much got what you described in my cad design but im limited to the size i can print it so it would be too small.
I thought about just buying some mesh and trying to fold the joins and things but still need to make some end caps and a good method to seal it up but also keep it easy enough to open and close. Everything was taken care of in the 3d printed version but its just too small.
Could get a sheet of 10mm thick plastic and route into that i suppose.

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”