Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Calmag - hardwater area with 0.6ec

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
wutang
Known User

Calmag - hardwater area with 0.6ec

Post by wutang »

Hey all

I've been reading about calmag as I'm switching to coco but read contradictory stuff..the internet can be mind boggling!

So I'm in a hard water area and my ec is 0.6 straight out the tap. Do I need calmag or not?

Cheers
Wu!

Paul_led
Respected Member

Re: Calmag - hardwater area with 0.6ec

Post by Paul_led »

wutang wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:03 pm
Hey all

I've been reading about calmag as I'm switching to coco but read contradictory stuff..the internet can be mind boggling!

So I'm in a hard water area and my ec is 0.6 straight out the tap. Do I need calmag or not?

Cheers
Wu!
Don’t know where abouta you are mate but my tap water in Sheffield is 0.7 or 0.8 and I still use cal mag at 1ml per l in my autopot setup

Paul
These users thanked the author Paul_led for the post:
wutang (Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:50 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Canna A+B is full of cal and mag already... If you think you need some, just up the ferts.

ImageImage

My water doesn;t even make the EC wand flash, I don't need calmag. My old house was 0.7-0.8 out the tap... I didn't need calmag then either.

:idn:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 4):
2-Scoops (Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:43 pm) • wutang (Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:50 pm) • Josh (Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:16 pm) • ohlordyeah_420 (Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:01 pm)

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

I add calmag once every 3 weeks for 1 feed only as a precaution and never have any issues. My tap water is same as yours :)
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post:
wutang (Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:50 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

wutang wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:03 pm
Ignore this reading cus calcium in hardwater is more or less unusable by plant, basically its calcium carbonate in your water and way too big to be taken up through roots.

As to whether you use calmag or not well its your shout but if you buy a sack of canna pro plus its already treated and buffered with calcium that is usable.
Paul_led wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:19 pm
my tap water in Sheffield is 0.7 or 0.8
Bloody crazy how such a short distance water differs, mine is around 0.2/0.3 max and i dont really use calmag unless im using old coco and re buffering it with the stuff
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
wutang (Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:51 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Thank you all for your replies. Nuff love to you all 🙏🏽
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
2-Scoops (Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:44 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

As long as you're using a fertiliser that has been formulated for coco then you won't need it. Even with RO water I only need a small amount to buffer when using coco.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
wutang (Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:21 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

seymore_budz wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:06 pm
As long as you're using a fertiliser that has been formulated for coco then you won't need it. Even with RO water I only need a small amount to buffer when using coco.
Hey @seymore_budz long time!

Hope you're good?

Yeah I went for canna coco pro plus, and their a and b after having a chat with Keeno. Otherwise I'd be a rabbit in headlights with everything the grow shop throws at me. Gr420 is love man.

I have some pk13 from a few years back..bottle is mostly full...and thats it. First time in autopots so lots of new factors to consider this time so just want to keep everything as simple as possible. Already killed two seats in overwatered peats so I've gone old school with germinating in paper towels..always worked before. Then ill make sure my jiffy peats arent too soggy and drain them like mad before the seeds go in there. And then into coco which is going to be all new!

Do I need to do anything with the coco and clay pebbles before I put them in pots?

Cheers!
Wu

Paul_led
Respected Member

Post by Paul_led »

wutang wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:25 pm
seymore_budz wrote:

Hope you're good?

Yeah I went for canna coco pro plus, and their a and b after having a chat with Keeno. Otherwise I'd be a rabbit in headlights with everything the grow shop throws at me. Gr420 is love man.

I have some pk13 from a few years back..bottle is mostly full...and thats it. First time in autopots so lots of new factors to consider this time so just want to keep everything as simple as possible. Already killed two seats in overwatered peats so I've gone old school with germinating in paper towels..always worked before. Then ill make sure my jiffy peats arent too soggy and drain them like mad before the seeds go in there. And then into coco which is going to be all new!

Do I need to do anything with the coco and clay pebbles before I put them in pots?

Cheers!
Wu
Lose the peAtplugs mate. No need at all. Just get a 1l pot put coco in it and put the seeds from the paper towel strwight into the coco bout 1cm down

Paul
These users thanked the author Paul_led for the post (total 2):
seymore_budz (Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:31 pm) • wutang (Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:34 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

wutang wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:25 pm
seymore_budz wrote:

Hope you're good?

Cheers!
Wu
Yea man long time no speak dude! Overwatering is always a concern when germinating mate I've been growing a long time and still kill seeds from time to time by overwatering. I find the peat dries out real quick too so I always end up over compensating and the don't like it.

I agree with Paul mate just bang em straight in the coco. Coco and peat have very similar qualities so they will thrive in just coco if the conditions are right.

I always rinse my pebbles. Some say it's a but pedantic but I always find washing them put my mind at ease.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
wutang (Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:36 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”