Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Potency testing kits

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Re: Potency testing kits

Post by Marcus »

Nom wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:23 am
I think the ez test TLC type kits only test upto 20% thc. Something like this looks good if it works https://www.mydxlife.com/cannadx/ bit on the pricey side of life though unfortunately. Which has made me start thinking if the possibility of doing a China job on it and backwards engineering it. I'm betting it's not expensive to make
There was a guy over on the Green Circle forum who had one of those testers. It was this one... https://www.purplscientific.com/

But £1650...! You can grab a used HPLC set up on ebay for £2k. Might be more accurate?
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post:
Rawreefer (Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:49 am)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

Been looking at gas chromotographers, seems you can pick up an older functioning one from ebay for £500+/- as far as i can tell if you were to go that route you'd be wanting GC-MS. I'm experienced in using these, albeit much newer models. The HPLC methods seem to be limited to a ceiling of 20% thc detection, i may be wrong though
These users thanked the author Nom for the post:
Marcus (Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:29 am)

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:00 am
There was a guy over on the Green Circle forum who had one of those testers. It was this one... https://www.purplscientific.com/
Looks similiar to the dx jobby i found, interestingly enough the price is $1645 and when you convert it over to normal monies on their site the price is £1645 :Shock: well beyond my wallet. I think I read these sniff tester type kits are currently within 20% of a GC result meaning their could be a difference in the result of as much as 5% by my reckoning. So what you measure as 20% thc could actually be 15% or 25%, thats with the canna dx detector anyway. They do say future versions will have an accuracy of 5% which would be more acceptable giving an assumed 95% CI, I'll have a look at the purple jobby aswel cus why not
These users thanked the author Nom for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:29 am) • chillbert42 (Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:18 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Nom wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:55 am
Marcus wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:00 am
Looks similiar to the dx jobby i found, interestingly enough the price is $1645 and when you convert it over to normal monies on their site the price is £1645 :Shock: well beyond my wallet. I think I read these sniff tester type kits are currently within 20% of a GC result meaning their could be a difference in the result of as much as 5% by my reckoning. So what you measure as 20% thc could actually be 15% or 25%, thats with the canna dx detector anyway. They do say future versions will have an accuracy of 5% which would be more acceptable giving an assumed 95% CI, I'll have a look at the purple jobby aswel cus why not
I think what we've got to ask ourselves is what does that % number correlate to as well with regards to "potency".

Say a bud has a rating of 20% THC... Well, 20% of what?

Does the higher the number mean the "stronger" the product?

Why do I get smashed on "landrace" types that are 12% but not on a 25% hybrid?

Is there a way to cheat the % test? Then sell the beans at a daft markup cause... "40% THC !!!!"

I think a lot of the products on the canna market now are just gimmicks to make stoners part with cash.
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 2):
Nom (Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:13 pm) • chillbert42 (Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:18 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Nom wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:23 am
I think the ez test TLC type kits only test upto 20% thc. Something like this looks good if it works https://www.mydxlife.com/cannadx/ bit on the pricey side of life though unfortunately. Which has made me start thinking if the possibility of doing a China job on it and backwards engineering it. I'm betting it's not expensive to make
Hi Grade analyzer which has a 2% tolerance either way https://www.gethigrade.com/order.php a fair price around £50 on amazon https://www.gethigrade.com/order.php

Lots of utube vids is it a gimmick or not. :)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Nom (Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:13 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

Yeh I agree it is all abit gimmicky, but for me it's due to the fact that the 'high thc' hybrids I've been growing just aint getting me smashed like the stuff I was smoking 30 years ago did and thats with tolerance breaks. I understand it's not just thc that does the buisiness it's the combination of cannibinoids, terpenes and the entourage effect that imparts the perceived strength. And the fact that one mans go to knockout may be another mans meh type of hit. So I'm interested in seeing if it's something I'm doing in the groom that's trashing the goodies (most likely) and if I'm hitting the % whats being quoted by the banks. I like to be a bit nosey like that
Marcus (Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:42 pm) • chillbert42 (Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:20 pm)

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

2-Scoops wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:37 am
Lots of utube vids is it a gimmick or not. :)
Probably, not really confident about results gained from image analysis. Best to spend money on a pack of beans I'd say
chillbert42 (Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:20 pm) • 2-Scoops (Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:49 am)

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Very interesting conversation, I’ve wondered about this in the past and find it weird that the % is getting higher but im not.
Percentage doesn’t seem to be a true reflection of potency, just a number to used to make sales
These users thanked the author Vador for the post (total 2):
Nom (Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:22 pm) • 2-Scoops (Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:49 am)
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”