Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Soil vs Coco vs NFT / similar systems...which one?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
wutang
Known User

Re: Soil vs Coco vs NFT / similar systems...which one?

Post by wutang »

Cave Hill Cole wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:14 pm
I'd suggest a wetting agent like house & gardens dripclean. It prevent salt accumulation and line blockages.

The PK and mycrorrhizae you can use in the aupots just fine. Not sure what cyco nutes you've got. But if they are additives for coco you will be fine.

Don't mix coco coir? You just open the fresh bag and sling it on the pots once you have put down the clay ball bottom layer. You can use either straight coco or a coco perlite mix
The cyco nutes are just Grow and Bloom A and B? Don't think they are specific for coco..I used then in NFT previously.

Sorry when I meant mix the coco, i know you can buy some ready mixed with 60/40 with perlite or something else so wasn't sure whether I needed to add anything to this coco coir 100%

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

wutang wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:30 am
Sorry when I meant mix the coco, i know you can buy some ready mixed with 60/40 with perlite or something else so wasn't sure whether I needed to add anything to this coco coir 100%
You could do either, I have done both, I honestly can't say I notice a difference between the two. The perlite supposedly gives more aeration. It growers choice bro.
These users thanked the author Cave Hill Cole for the post:
wutang (Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:49 am)
Weed will get me through times of no money, better than money will get me through times of no weed - Robert Sabbag, Smoke Screen

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Cheers @Cave Hill Cole just wanted to make sure I'm not missing any obvious stuff. Would you say the notes/additives they have advised me to buy are all needed? They said that calmag is definitively needed.

I'm in a hard water area.

Peace
Wu

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

wutang wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:08 pm
So I've been speaking to my local grow shop and this is what they've advised I go for

4 Autopot AV5 system

Samurai Coco A and B (1l of each)

Samurai Active Boost 1l

Shogun Sumo Active Boost 1l

Shogun PK warrior 9/18

Shogun Calmag 1l

Clay Pebbles 10l

Ecothrive 100% coco coir 50l
The autopot AV5's are the new ones and very good. They have given you a standard nute regiment for the most part by the looks.

Ive never used Samurai nutes, so I can't speak for their quality. But yes you will absolutely need an A+B coco feed.

Not sure on what's in the boosters. Boosters are very contentious. My advice would be, if you want to add one, be sure what is in it and why you are adding it.

PK I am definitely a fan of. Just go easy, follow the feed chart, but with a grain of salt.

Calmag, again this is very contentious with growers. I personally add it myself. I have had plenty of grows where I haven't. But I grow multi strain grows....and I'll tell, some plants are fussy & grow like crap if you dont add it. I just grew a Doctor Who cut that was a perfect example. She looked god awful without it. So because I grow different varietal's on a single res, I add it, cover my bases and my plants are happy.

Definitely need clay balls and coco coir. With autopots...less is more,, I never go over 2.0 EC. And always EC and PH at the end once you have added all your nutes.
wutang (Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:02 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Cave Hill Cole wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:35 am
wutang wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:08 pm
So I've been speaking to my local grow shop and this is what they've advised I go for

4 Autopot AV5 system

Samurai Coco A and B (1l of each)

Samurai Active Boost 1l

Shogun Sumo Active Boost 1l

Shogun PK warrior 9/18

Shogun Calmag 1l

Clay Pebbles 10l

Ecothrive 100% coco coir 50l
The autopot AV5's are the new ones and very good. They have given you a standard nute regiment for the most part by the looks.

Ive never used Samurai nutes, so I can't speak for their quality. But yes you will absolutely need an A+B coco feed.

Not sure on what's in the boosters. Boosters are very contentious. My advice would be, if you want to add one, be sure what is in it and why you are adding it.

PK I am definitely a fan of. Just go easy, follow the feed chart, but with a grain of salt.

Calmag, again this is very contentious with growers. I personally add it myself. I have had plenty of grows where I haven't. But I grow multi strain grows....and I'll tell, some plants are fussy & grow like crap if you dont add it. I just grew a Doctor Who cut that was a perfect example. She looked god awful without it. So because I grow different varietal's on a single res, I add it, cover my bases and my plants are happy.

Definitely need clay balls and coco coir. With autopots...less is more,, I never go over 2.0 EC. And always EC and PH at the end once you have added all your nutes.
Thank you dude. With soil the advice everyone usually is keep it simple..with just the grow and bloom nutes. I just wanted to see if it was the same with coco as grow shops will always try to sell you more than you need! It gets expensive very quickly too!

In terms of the pebbles..is it just to later the bottom of the pots or should I mix it with the 100% coco coir? The grow shop said I don't need to mix the coco coir and its fine on its own as long as you put pebbles at the bottom of the pot.

Cheers dude. Appreciate it.

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

wutang wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:05 pm
In terms of the pebbles..is it just to later the bottom of the pots or should I mix it with the 100% coco coir? The grow shop said I don't need to mix the coco coir and its fine on its own as long as you put pebbles at the bottom of the pot.
No you are just layering it at the bottom. The add your coco or coco perlite mix. You can probably find a youtube video as a solid visual guide of how to set them up.
wutang (Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:55 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”