Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Nutes shelf life

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
wutang
Known User

Nutes shelf life

Post by wutang »

Wasup GR420!

I have some Cyco Platinum Grow and Bloom nutes that I used in my NFT grow 2 years ago (think they're still sealed) and some Plant Success - Orca Liquid Mycorrhizae. Do these things have a shelf life? Or would they be okay to use again in NFT?

BIG THANKS
WU
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
2-Scoops (Sun May 08, 2022 11:09 am)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Nutes shelf life

Post by seymore_budz »

The nutrients should be fine as long as they've been stored correctly. Just make sure there's no solids by shaking the bottles. As for anything organic or beanies I'd say just throw them. They might be good but they have a shelf life and it would he hard to tell if its still viable. I hear Cyco has just been acquired by Hawthorne?

Edit: Yup they've been bought https://www.hawthorne-gardening.com/cyc ... portfolio/
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
wutang (Sat May 07, 2022 9:52 pm) • MrNice (Sat May 07, 2022 10:30 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

seymore_budz wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:22 pm
The nutrients should be fine as long as they've been stored correctly. Just make sure there's no solids by shaking the bottles. As for anything organic or beanies I'd say just throw them. They might be good but they have a shelf life and it would he hard to tell if its still viable. I hear Cyco has just been acquired by Hawthorne?

Edit: Yup they've been bought https://www.hawthorne-gardening.com/cyc ... portfolio/
They've been in a single skin garage in the UK..which sometimes does get a little damp but not overly..someone said once that if they're organic like Biobizz you're best to use up within a year or so..

What are beanies?

Never heard of Hawthorne...is that a good thing?

Cheers @seymore_budz

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

wutang wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:55 pm
seymore_budz wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:22 pm

They've been in a single skin garage in the UK..which sometimes does get a little damp but not overly..someone said once that if they're organic like Biobizz you're best to use up within a year or so..

What are beanies?

Never heard of Hawthorne...is that a good thing?

Cheers @seymore_budz
Beanies = beneficial bacteria. If they're sealed then they should be fine. Cyco base nutes are synthetic so there shouldn't be any issues as long as there ain't anything rattling around when you shake em. Yup anything organic will have a shelf life so you should use it up within a year or so.

Hawthorne are like the macdonalds of the horticultural market. They supply a lot of commercial growers etc. Some questionable practices though :) They also own Gavita and Botanicare.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 3):
MrNice (Sat May 07, 2022 10:30 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sun May 08, 2022 11:13 am) • wutang (Mon May 09, 2022 6:19 am)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

had some plant magic stuff that didnt smell to good after a while also had some mega crop that oxidised in the pack went all black chucked it out

sir-scrogalot

Post by sir-scrogalot »

Most nutrients are designed to go off so you buy more
These users thanked the author sir-scrogalot for the post (total 2):
MrNice (Sat May 07, 2022 11:56 pm) • wutang (Mon May 09, 2022 6:19 am)
Take a look at my new blog - www.grow-life.blog

sir-scrogalot

Post by sir-scrogalot »

Having said that, organic nutrients have a long shelf life

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

sir-scrogalot wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 10:42 pm
Most nutrients are designed to go off so you buy more
@sir-scrogalot You seen this ... The Light Bulb Conspiracy ... Planned Obsolescence

Inactive account
Inactive Account

Post by Inactive account »

Silly question mayb do they not have a best before date on them and if not then what about once opened or unsealed 12 / 14 months advice like on makeup , beauty products etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Inactive account for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Sun May 08, 2022 7:43 am) • wutang (Mon May 09, 2022 6:19 am)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Mrs Beefheart wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:12 am
Silly question mayb do they not have a best before date on them and if not then what about once opened or unsealed 12 / 14 months advice like on makeup , beauty products etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is never a silly question Mrs B!

I don't think it does..haven't checked yet haha. For the sake of a few quid, and the tight schedule I run, I'd rather buy some fresh nutes. I'm due to give NFT a go again but with the massively fluctuating PH I had before...I was most successful with soil on my last run using biobizz!
These users thanked the author wutang for the post (total 2):
Inactive account (Mon May 09, 2022 9:35 am) • 2-Scoops (Mon May 09, 2022 1:24 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”