Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Tips for Thrips

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
haggisgrower

Tips for Thrips

Post by haggisgrower »

Exactly what it says on the tin.

Iv had thrips infestations coming and going for the last 2 years and they have ruined several grows already.

What I have tried:

Washing each plant in the shower with mild soap, then applying neem oil or food grade pesticides. This is very labour intensive, takes hours to do properly, getting under every leaf, even under the plant about the roots.

I have also tried putting sticky traps everywhere and using Amblyseius Cucumeris Predator Mites and Amblyseius swirskii predator mites.

Also tried stopping growing altogether for a few months and bug bombing the room several times before setting up again.

At my wits end here. Any ideas would be greatly appreceated.

H
These users thanked the author haggisgrower for the post (total 2):
MrNice (Sun May 01, 2022 10:28 pm) • Inactive account (Sun May 01, 2022 11:20 pm)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
MrNice
Respected Member

Re: Tips for Thrips

Post by MrNice »

Dammmmm MMmmm not had them my self had spider mites once and an aphid attack

Did you clean all your equipment with isopropyl did get the steamer out once to clean inside of my tent when i had spider mites get in all the corners with hot steam kill any think

may be the other growers might know more on how to get them of your plants
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post:
haggisgrower (Sun May 01, 2022 11:42 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

If you suffer with bugs quite often then maybe look at using a systemic type pesticide, but I'd only use them during in veg and possibly first few weeks of bloom before plants start to bud up at a push, but they can and do contain nasty toxins that are no good health wise to anything you included, but a full weed plant treated with one in veg should be fully protected for 5 or 6 weeks and possibly more till plant rids itself of the toxins inside it and it will given time to do so. Basically with systemic pesticides the plant takes the poison onboard inside plant and protects it for weeks on end unlike other none systemic types which just lay on leaves etc and dry or drip away so protection doesn`t last.

This "Provanto ultimate bug killer" should work to kill most bugs including thrips with one or two treatments done a week apart and is a systemic bug killer for about £5, from Wilko`s or B&Q
The Provado/Provanto stuff above may or may not work on spidermite, it says it "works on scale insects" so make of that what you like, i know it did used to before they removed a certain ingredient, but it should do trick with many other different bugs thrips included. Dont go mad doing it over and over again as said its toxic and poison so too much is no good for plant too and that applies when using any systemic pesticide.

Summink like Killermite or floramite would do jobby on those little bastard spidermite with 1 or 2 treatments. Avid and AzaMax are 2 others that work a similar way
Image or this Image

All are very toxic stuff so keep away from animals and your skin eyes etc and dont breath it in. :strangling:
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
MrNice (Wed May 04, 2022 8:40 pm) • haggisgrower (Sun May 22, 2022 1:48 am)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

cheers 2scoops @haggisgrower have you tryed any on those that 2scoops has mentioned ?
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post:
haggisgrower (Sun May 22, 2022 1:48 am)

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

ive had thrips infact that scottish fuka face give me them with a jaffa cake cookie cutting he sent down for me........god rest his soul poor fuka :Stoned: anyway the only way i rid them was by shutting down the groom fore a few weeks + i misted the entire room walls ceilling floors the whole sherbang using SMC ! tbh its the dogs bollox on insects i had red spider mites back 4 grows ago i imported again via a cutting from a friend...same again shut down 2 weeks mist / spray every 3 days until every lavae or egg is dead... :idea:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post:

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

or btw if i saw any adults flying about id squirt them with raid fly killer even done that with plants in the chamber no ill affect. :oik!:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post:

haggisgrower

Post by haggisgrower »

Thanks for all of the replies, and sorry for my late response. Life got busyyyyyy like you wouldn't believe.

@MrNice and @2-Scoops I have tried the Provanto stuff and it did reduce their numbers for a bit, but they came back with a vengeance shortly after. I used the provanto again and the same thing, a week later, sometimes only a day or two and they are back even worse than when I started.

My process for using the provanto was to shower above and under each leaf first. My shower has pretty high pressure. Wait until dry, then spray on top and under each leaf meticulously with soapy water. Rinse. Then spray top and under each leaf with provanto. Also sprayed a bit onto the topsoil and into the drainage holes underneath in case they were hiding in there.

Also tried neem oil, messy stuff. Smoke bombs.

I also scrub all my tents and gear with soapy water. I haven't tried isopropyl.

Recently I smoke bombed the room with Permethrin at 13.25% smoke bombs again. This time with about 10x more than required. all fans off. windows closed. Door taped up.

No effect.

They seem to die off the first time I use a new product and then the second generation that hatch becomes resistant.

Honestly, I think it's time to pack up. Clean everything. Wait a month, then set up in a new room.

Wasted so much time and money, really need a saviour here who has the magic bullit for these little thrip bastards XD
These users thanked the author haggisgrower for the post:
MrNice (Thu May 26, 2022 9:47 pm)

Greenfingers
Known User

Post by Greenfingers »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183072647335 ... 1438.l2649

Dichlorvos (2,2-dichlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate) 18.6%

Please do a bit of research and use with caution :oik!:

they work, end of :thanks:

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Thrips are a pain. Last year I had some double hard ones and had to get the big guns out because most of the hobby stuff wasn't killing them. Normally a few applications of pyrethrin based would work but this lot wasn't bothered by the spray. This is because most of the stuff available is hobby grade and some thrips have built up a resistance to pyrethrins.

I used a product called Converv. You can grab it on ebay as its not really available for hobby growrs even though its approved for use on food crops. The active ingredient is Spinosad.

Trust me one spray and they gone. It's a systemic and protect your plants for a week. Pop a bit of fulvic acid and wetting agent in the mix and that will improve coverage and uptake.

Absolutely drench them in the stuff as well as spraying the pots and media. The little bastards will drop to the soil and hide. Trust me they will be gone completely in about 3-5 days and won't come back. Its harmful to quite a lot of other things though like bee's and caterpillars so be careful if using it outdoors.

Link to buy some:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265702034947

Further reading:
https://www.corteva.co.uk/products-and- ... serve.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosad

PS: The killermite that @2-Scoops is Abamectin. They stuff is pretty deadly to most things too like Thrip and Spidermite. I've used it a lot to treat spiderman infections with great success. Smells like almonds :sick: it will also kill thrips but I find it more effective against mites. Its also a systemic so will hang about for a while.

https://scialert.net/fulltextmobile/?do ... 2009.81.87
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

I did read h202 kills them and can also be used on plants that are flowering, never used it this way but i cant see why i wouldn't if i had problems it would help with.

I've never used it but I've seen Harcas Mectin (ivermectin) used to kill most bugs including thrips and mites on another forum i used to frequent by more than one person. Tis another one that has systemic properties. I`m not sure about doses but @duke may know right dilution to water ratio of it. Tis another one i wouldn't use on a flowering plant though
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 3):
seymore_budz (Sun May 22, 2022 2:05 pm) • duke (Mon May 23, 2022 4:13 pm) • GMO (Mon May 23, 2022 6:33 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”