Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

First time combining led and hsp

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Tom1974

First time combining led and hsp

Post by Tom1974 »

What’s up guys, Not done a grow since around 2015 so I’m kinda out of the loop a little

Got most of my old kit in storage and raring to go.

I used 3 x 600w hsp bulbs/shades for years in my 2m x 2m x 2m tent with great result but I used to dread the summer months (even here in the uk it can be awful)

To negate the temp problems I have just purchased a Telos 10 pro mesh unit and thinking of running that along with just 1 x 600w hsp shade

Performed a dummy run yesterday in the empty tent and the weather outside was warm but inside the tent it was a lovely 26 degrees with the two of them running

My question is- Has anybody ran a combination of these lights before and is it ok?

Anything I need to do differently when introducing an led light to my grow?

Will be using an oil filled rad with a built in thermostat for lights off so can pretty much control the temps also that way

Thanks for reading guys will be sure to post up some pics soon
These users thanked the author Tom1974 for the post (total 3):
Herbalist (Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:01 am) • chillbert42 (Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:02 am) • Keeno (Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:27 pm)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
Treetrunk
Respected Member

Re: First time combining led and hsp

Post by Treetrunk »

You might find plants under LEDs need a bit more calmag if you have soft water.
The tap water here comes out at 140ppm and I bump it up to 250.
I've only grown with LEDs so can't really comment on mixing lights.
You could get another led and ditch the HPS :idn:
Good luck with it mate
These users thanked the author Treetrunk for the post (total 3):
Tom1974 (Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:13 am) • chillbert42 (Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:03 am) • Keeno (Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:27 pm)

Tom1974

Post by Tom1974 »

Treetrunk wrote:You might find plants under LEDs need a bit more calmag if you have soft water.
Good luck with it mate
I do have access to another led if needed mate but my buddy who has just finished his first “All Led run” struggled making the transition from hps, so I thought maybe best to go with one of each.

Said it was more advanced and difficult than he thought l, very powerful lights apparently and almost bleached the lot.

Here are my girls and set up week 4 of veg, I topped the majority a week or so ago and will flip at the weekend.
These users thanked the author Tom1974 for the post (total 3):
Herbalist (Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:01 am) • Treetrunk (Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:07 am) • Keeno (Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:27 pm)

Tom1974

Post by Tom1974 »

EDIT: 10 girls present but will pull 2 when I flip
(I always get a spare 2 just in case any don’t take off)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Tom1974 for the post (total 2):
Treetrunk (Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:33 am) • Keeno (Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:28 pm)

Treetrunk
Respected Member

Post by Treetrunk »

Tom1974 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:15 am
Treetrunk wrote:You might find plants under LEDs need a bit more calmag if you have soft water.
Good luck with it mate
I do have access to another led if needed mate but my buddy who has just finished his first “All Led run” struggled making the transition from hps, so I thought maybe best to go with one of each.

Said it was more advanced and difficult than he thought l, very powerful lights apparently and almost bleached the lot.

Here are my girls and set up week 4 of veg, I topped the majority a week or so ago and will flip at the weekend.
I've had a fair bit of bleaching myself :lol:
If you do go led you'll need about 600w for flowering in that space.
With the price of juice it'll save money and heat in the long run.
These users thanked the author Treetrunk for the post:
Keeno (Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:28 pm)

Tom1974

Post by Tom1974 »

Treetrunk wrote:
Tom1974 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:15 am
Good luck with it mate

I've had a fair bit of bleaching myself :lol:
If you do go led you'll need about 600w for flowering in that space.
With the price of juice it'll save money and heat in the long run.
600w of an led alone or 600w combined with the hps mate?
Pretty sure this led is 300w buddy

My friend used 2 units and they have power setting on them, when he got into flower he set them both on 100% as per manufacturers advice but it soon went all wrong so he had to back them off down to 75% and hope for the best, thankfully most of the bleached heads “grew out” by the end
Herbalist (Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:59 am) • Keeno (Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:28 pm)

chillbert42

Post by chillbert42 »

@Tom1974

interesting seeing the side by side .. think the plants look happier there under the led ..
ive been on leds now over a year after hps and much prefer the leds.. however... hps does have more UV than led so together could be an interesting result.. just difficult to give both to all plants .. have u considered switching the lights over during the grow ?

in the long run led is defo the future esp with elec price rises imo

i also run a fluro uvb bar alongside my leds btw .. still much debate on these but in my observations so far they do have an effect .. too close they burn pistels, just right and trich production does seem to increase .. v hard to demonstrate scientifically in my loft though

good luck with the transition and happy gardening
These users thanked the author chillbert42 for the post (total 3):
Tom1974 (Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:17 am) • Herbalist (Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:59 am) • Keeno (Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:28 pm)

Tom1974

Post by Tom1974 »

chillbert42 wrote:[mention]Tom1974[/mention]

interesting seeing the side by side .. think the plants look happier there under the led ..
ive been on leds now over a year after hps and much prefer the leds.. however... hps does have more UV than led so together could be an interesting result.. just difficult to give both to all plants .. have u considered switching the lights over during the grow ?

in the long run led is defo the future esp with elec price rises imo

i also run a fluro uvb bar alongside my leds btw .. still much debate on these but in my observations so far they do have an effect .. too close they burn pistels, just right and trich production does seem to increase .. v hard to demonstrate scientifically in my loft though

good luck with the transition and happy gardening
Thanks for the reply mate, the ones under the led do look happier I agree mate but the ones in the corner under the hps that are “drooping” may just be the shock of the transfer from the veg room and smaller pots etc ??

Just randomly chucked them all in and was literally only a couple of hours ago.

I think I might run with this combination of both and see how it goes and keep you guys updated along the way.

When you say switching the lights over during the grow what do you mean buddy?
chillbert42 (Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:41 am) • Herbalist (Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:59 am)

chillbert42

Post by chillbert42 »

When you say switching the lights over during the grow what do you mean buddy?

[/quote]

i was thinkin are u gonna switch the lights over (at some point or perhaps more often) so each side gets some time with each light and its differing spectrum

even with the heights set differently id be surprised if they grow evenly as theres so much more blue light in the leds which make more compact growth than the redder hps..

switching em may confuse the plants a bit i guess but was thinking over time would keep the growth more even / similar on each of your tent .. like say if u swapped em over each week ??

a side by side all the way would be interesting .. as would switching em around lol

hope this made sense ??
These users thanked the author chillbert42 for the post (total 3):
Tom1974 (Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:41 am) • Herbalist (Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:59 am) • Keeno (Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:28 pm)

Tom1974

Post by Tom1974 »

chillbert42 wrote:When you say switching the lights over during the grow what do you mean buddy?
i was thinkin are u gonna switch the lights over (at some point or perhaps more often) so each side gets some time with each light and its differing spectrum

even with the heights set differently id be surprised if they grow evenly as theres so much more blue light in the leds which make more compact growth than the redder hps..

switching em may confuse the plants a bit i guess but was thinking over time would keep the growth more even / similar on each of your tent .. like say if u swapped em over each week ??

a side by side all the way would be interesting .. as would switching em around lol

hope this made sense ??[/quote]
Yes mate, that makes perfect sense….

Now I am in a dilemma lol

I was of the belief the lights/spectrums would just all mix and reflect amongst each other off the tent walls?

The difference in unit height is those leds need a much bigger distance from the plant the guide says (even though the power is only on 50% atm)

All for everyone’s suggestions and Inputs though before and during flower

Both ways would be interesting your right lol
Herbalist (Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:59 am) • Keeno (Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:28 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”