Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

When do you start counting that you're in flower?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
wutang
Known User

When do you start counting that you're in flower?

Post by wutang »

So one thing that's kind of tripped me up this time is counting how many weeks flower I'm in so I know when I should begin flushing/just water. I'm still a newbie so still learning, different things each grow...thankfully :)

I started counting that I was in flowering from the time I switched to 12/12, but I've read that the data stated for 'Flowering Time' for strains is usually when you first see the signs of pistils appearing? Which means that you would roughly add 1 to 2 weeks on the flowering time?

I've started adding water way too early...but thankfully only after 3 weeks of water they've started to turn yellow and almost done.

Interested to know how others gauge this?

I was initially up against a fix deadline for chop and that doesn't exist anymore. I think I have a week or 2 left on the haze but white widow is mainly cloudy triches and read for the chop..trying to long it out as much as possible but hardly any signs of amber triches on the more mature widow..so fingers crossed I can keep it going and chop both together as I'm limited for drying options.

Cheers
Wu
These users thanked the author wutang for the post (total 2):
KD (Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:22 am) • Rassensi (Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:36 am)

KD
Known User

Re: When do you start counting that you're in flower?

Post by KD »

First sign of pistils here.
These users thanked the author KD for the post (total 2):
wutang (Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:32 am) • Rassensi (Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:36 am)

Rassensi
Known User

Post by Rassensi »

I'm now 11 days into 12/12 and now seeing white hairs everywhere for me flowering has now started that first week or so is just transition time from veg to flower
These users thanked the author Rassensi for the post:
wutang (Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:18 pm)
Out here growing my own since 05

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

i count days of 12/12 but dont harvest or feed by day schedule. its for me not the plants
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 2):
wutang (Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:18 pm) • TommyT (Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:27 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Wayne36
Known User

Post by Wayne36 »

Sometimes when I go 12 to 12 or when I see pistols bit than sometimes it may take a extra weekor less a week for your trichomes to get cloudy and amberizsh depending on what kind of high you want
These users thanked the author Wayne36 for the post:
wutang (Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:18 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

When i flip to 12/12 is when i start counting that they`ve been flipped "to bloom" I do it that way more for getting my timings right for when they are just about ready to come down, which generally works for me and tis how ive known it always been when peeps are talking about it. Although for plant to be classed as flowewring if its really called flowering that is. Basically plants may have been on "bloom" 4 weeks and "flowering" for 2weeks, kinda what i was taught in a roundabout way right or wrong, fook i don`t know i mean does weed really flower or bloom could be a good question ? Basically though I take seedbreeders blurb to use as a pointer to aim at that roughly from day 1 of 12/12 when they`re talking about a ten week strain which seems to work out about right most the time for me.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 3):
GMO (Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:03 pm) • Rassensi (Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:22 pm) • wutang (Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:45 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

2-Scoops wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:01 pm
When i flip to 12/12 is when i start counting that they`ve been flipped "to bloom" I do it that way more for getting my timings right for when they are just about ready to come down, which generally works for me and tis how ive known it always been when peeps are talking about it. Although for plant to be classed as flowewring if its really called flowering that is. Basically plants may have been on "bloom" 4 weeks and "flowering" for 2weeks, kinda what i was taught in a roundabout way right or wrong, fook i don`t know i mean does weed really flower or bloom could be a good question ? Basically though I take seedbreeders blurb to use as a pointer to aim at that roughly from day 1 of 12/12 when they`re talking about a ten week strain which seems to work out about right most the time for me.
Cheers bud

Makes sense. This grow I've also learnt other factors that have delayed or stunted growth...lack of watering, late watering, cold root temps. Its a beautiful learning journey tho. All these can obviously add to more time to finish with photo strains. These bad boys vegged for 10 weeks due to me sourcing a a better tent for switching to 12/12
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
2-Scoops (Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:01 pm)

camkush
GR420 Moobs Of The Year

Post by camkush »

I consider it after i go 12/12 but i dont keep up with days at all. I let the plant tell me its finished
These users thanked the author camkush for the post:
wutang (Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:15 pm)
Roll Tide :barmy:
#ProtectDiscord

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

I start counting from the day they go into the 12/12 bloom cycle. I mark that day on a white board next to my tent. But like a few people have already commented, I don't follow the breeders time line to the letter, I use it more as a guide to tell me when the harvest window is "likely" to begin. So I can plan when I need to think about feeding straight water/flushing (currently growing in coco). I have never found that there is a "set day" to chop your plant, to me it seems more like a harvest period.
These users thanked the author Cave Hill Cole for the post:
wutang (Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:15 pm)
Weed will get me through times of no money, better than money will get me through times of no weed - Robert Sabbag, Smoke Screen

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

I used to go from what we would call "true flower" or as they start to crown off. I now count from day 1 of 12/12. I change my feed to flower feed day 1 of 12/12 now to and I definitely see true flower faster by doing so.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post:
wutang (Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:16 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”