Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Saving overwatered seedlings question

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Pending

Saving overwatered seedlings question

Post by Pending »

Hey guys new here.. I know I screwed up and want to know if I screwed up.. Curiouser and curiouser.. My soil was holding too much water for happy seedling but stopping watering didn't seem to stop the sprouts from suffering, badly.. Days and days go by and still, stunted growth and failing leaves.. I decided that my containers were too big holding onto the moisture and the plants weren't nearly healthy enough to use any of the excess H20.. Fearing root fungus if I left them any longer I transplanted all into much smaller containers with a proper soil mix.. It's only been two or three days but... Now the questions.. (1)How long would you expect it to take for the seedlings to start to recover.. (2) Was transplanting them a bad idea.. aaannd~(3) Was/is it crazy for me to be considering taking cuttings from the ones big enough, 3 or 4 nodes, as I have much much experience with cutting.. My own technique I'm sure as the last time I grew was the late 80's and we were just making it up as we went.. much love

Pending

Re: Saving overwatered seedlings question

Post by Pending »

Down sized to a nine oz. container with an indoor container mix
de-lux from whereevermart.. I got nice new white roots hitting the sides of my containers and turning down and most everything's greened up.. Or at least stopped withering.. Many thanks.. I'll update & elaborate.. laters
These users thanked the author Pending for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:49 am)

Pending

Post by Pending »

~Wassup my brothers.. We have new growth in ten out of twelve the other two are now healthy.. Not sure I like the LED's, Fluorescent's were way too easy back in the day.. How much light what colour light how far from the plants too much light, crap.. We just grew them right into the fixtures.. Daylight, warm-white, cool, econo' and plant..24/7 Now they need rest.. My brain hurts.. They're starting to crowd their containers/ neighbors.. Can't believe how fast they're recovering..

Pending

Post by Pending »

Sorry for not getting back and tending my post.. Someone mentioned a learning curve and really made me smile.. Yes.. I guess it was/is.. I haven't grown since, get this... 1991.. Was the bomb ass bitch with my pirated copy of Mel Franks' original Marijuana Growers Guide.. All the useless information contained their within not withstanding.. Had some very very useful info, light, soil, cuttings/clones, sexing, water needs.. We jumped the shark and hit every mark the first time.. Only problem.. Only ever started one set of seeds, worked from clones from then on out after deciding which plants produced the most bestus bud's.. It was so easy and went so well my stupid ass decided I/we/everyone had made it harder than it was/is.. I think the Sphagnum moss and composted manure held WAY WAY too much moisture.. Anyway. I'll get into exactly what I did and what I did a little later on providing my computer doesn't fail me and leave me without for another two weeks..
One last question for anyone who might have lasted this long.. It takes very little water to get H2O draining from my containers/bags.. (12)oz more or less in a container of 2/3 gallons of my soil mix.. I top dressed the bags when I moved them to the floor but with moisture sitting on the floor after watering I'm not wanting to water them everyday.. Do I need to get them off of the floor and water every day?? There's hardly a quart of H2o after but if it sits there for a day before it's re-absorbed/evaporated and I... Thanks..........

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

Check out the posts around here,,air pots,fabric bag holders,,,,hempy pots sounds right up your alley for ease of care,you almost can't f×+k um up :barmy:
These users thanked the author JJ for the post:
Pending (Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:23 pm)

Pending

Post by Pending »

Wassup my brothers.. I'mma get into what I did to my seedlings and what I did to save my seedling after I mucked up.. First, I couldn't get ANY seeds to germinate, gave up.. Found a lost Dime bag, off the street, while cleaning my desk, woo-hoo I was out, and low and behold.. (15) seeds.. Went to U-tube; starting seeds.. As it turns out I could have made the video but, whatever.. Soak the seeds 24hours only thing I wasn't doing.. Started (8) soaking, started the other (7) in wet paper towel folded into a DVD box.. Moved the first (8) into paper/box on day two.. Checked the 1st box on day three, woo-hoo, seedings/sprouts.. Checked 2nd set, bingo, I'mma gardener.. Now I need soil & containers.. Beings how I had failed to get the first three sets of seeds to start I hadn't worried myself with having my shit together.. Had several old containers/plant with soil still in them, Sphagnum moss composted manure.. Thought I could freshen the soil with the moss & manure; big mistake.. Then I go look for containers.. Nothing small around the house but a bunch of 32oz cups.. This will do.. Turn out adding 25% moss/manure to existing soil makes it hold way way WAY too much H20.. They looked great coming out of the ground and for a day or two after, then... They foundered for two weeks and eventually started yellowing, curling, withering.. Stopped watering for another week and still ver ver sad.. Turned one of the containers upside down into my hand with the plant between my fingers supporting the soil.. A soaking wet mess with roots that looked like wet hair coming out of a bath drain.. This is a loss..

I have a choice now.. Give up, or throw a hail Mary and try and save my starts.. What to do, what to do.

Feed um fish heads, I got this.. Went and got indoor container deluxe mix at the Wally.. (9)oz Styrofoam cups from the Dollar tree.. And a 13 quart bucket to work from..

Filled the bucket about half full of water, filled my containers flush to the top with soil to allow for settling and stood there with my first plant in my hand.. I watered the plant then turned the container out into my hand.. Laid it gently on a tray and pushed at the soil a bit until it started falling away exposing the roots.. There were way more than I expected nothing white or healthy.. After coaxing 80/90% of the soil from the plants I picked them up and gave the a bath setting the whole plant into my bucket while I re-did my starter cups, don't know what I was thinking.. With the containers half empty and the cups on their side I coaxed the first on into the cup and threw soil at it until it was full enough to hold the seedling upright.. Finished filling the cups w/plants then, get this, filled the cups with water.. Ta~Dah!!! Tapped all the cups to settle the soil then broke/poked/tore drain holes in said cups and put them back under my lights.. They sat on a piece of terry cloth for 24hrs to sort out the moisture then it was removed.. I misted the plants only for three days and had new roots within a week.. They showed marked improvement by day two.. I wasted more than a week when I knew they were failing.. Hope this is helpful to someone out there, never give up.. Every plant survived, I still have two that are projects, the rest, about ready to flower.. Thanks, laters

Pending

Post by Pending »

Oh how very F'n cool~ When I planted the original (13) seeds, started the seedlings, I had (2) seeds that hadn't germinated.. they were left on the tray surface as I worked and forgot about.. Plants tried to fail and there was this dramatic rescue as you know.. Top dressed and moved the plants to the floor over the next three weeks..
Now I'm re-arranging the room sorting the plants out with the light source aaannd!! I have a new seedling!! I have new seedling!! I have a new seedling!!
I think, okay I know, that one of the two seeds got caught up in the top dressing from the litter of/on the tray.. Grow Baby Grow!!

Pending

Post by Pending »

Wassup.. Damnittoohell.. Good, got that out'a my system..
Somebody tell me to go ahead and bite the bullet and cut the light's back.. I need to cut the room in half and start my flowers.. The original 13 are taking over the room and crowd each other approx. 16/18'' tall on average in a (5x5) area.. Half are very vigorous and complex more so than I'm used to seeing.. Think it's because of the early stress and the night period; we went 24/7 lights in the late eighties.. anyway.. I have one left to get into a five gallon bucket, it got late damage from a light fixture fall.. Knocked the poor plant down to two lowest branches.. A dozen unplanned cuttings 8 rooted already..
I plan to start the last 30 days into the first half's flower cycle.. It's going to be a mess if they all turn out female.. Mid grade from the hood seed source, so.. Thought's?? Suggestions..
Last thought: Sexing.. Why can't I seem to find even one recognizable pre-flower.. I used too be the absolute best.. Pissed people off for some reason just by identifying their plants early enough should'a kept them from getting all excited.. A n y w a y... gotta find a place for a veg. room.. laters
kbag (Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:43 am)

Pending

Post by Pending »

Am I crazy for thinking it might be best to start (4/5) plants every two weeks would be easiest to manage.. I think I can keep the veg area @ about 8sq feet (2X4) or so.. Am I being too hopeful.. Let's see: start 8 wait 2 weeks, start the last 5.. Have 2 seedling & 4 cuttings well established should be ready to go in 4 to 6 weeks.. What to do; what to do??
kbag (Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:43 am)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”