Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

HPS heat

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

HPS heat

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Hi Guys,

I'd like to improve my yields, and that's not easy with a 200w (real draw) LED.

I would like to go HPS but there's a few things putting me off.
1: The heat generated (I hear lots of stories of heat being a problem)
2: The cost. It's a lot of money to fork out on HPS lights, ballast and whatever else that's needed, just to find that it's too hot.
3: The ballast can interfere with other electrical items.

Recently, I started off 3 autos with a 300w CFL, but the heat generated was minimal. In fact, the 200w LED seamed considerably hotter than the CFL.

I use passive intake, and also a variac, but I never set it any higher than the 2nd setting. It becomes much louder on setting 3, and I'm not sure if my neighbours would hear it or not - esp at night.

Oh, and I can't go with the cool-tube option.

Thanks guys.
TAT
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Donks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: HPS heat

Post by Donks »

Hi Aspie i had issues with rfid but it is only caused by some digital ballasts. I use magnetic ballasts which do not have this issue and are also cheaper so win win mate. I also had passive intake and had no temp issues using 250w & 400w. Although cannabis has optimum grow conditions as we know it can withstand some abuse, if you think of the high temps plants will be exposed to in places like afghanistan etc.....those really hot summer days aren't a big deal. I hope this was useful

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Hi Bud,
Thank you for replying. Much appreciated.

Do ballasts create a lot of heat? as I'll have mine on the floor (most probably) if I was to get one.
Any fire risks with ballasts?

My main concern is if I swap from LED to HPS, will I be able to keep the variac running at setting 2.
My fan is in a cardboard box that's filled with sponge etc.

The tent size is 60x60x140 but will be getting a larger one soon. 60x90x180 (I think 180)

Donks

Post by Donks »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:25 pm
Hi Bud,
Thank you for replying. Much appreciated.

Do ballasts create a lot of heat? as I'll have mine on the floor (most probably) if I was to get one.
Any fire risks with ballasts?

My main concern is if I swap from LED to HPS, will I be able to keep the variac running at setting 2.
My fan is in a cardboard box that's filled with sponge etc.

The tent size is 60x60x140 but will be getting a larger one soon. 60x90x180 (I think 180)
Hardly any heat mate really. I have a lumii switchable. I think is has a fireproof lining but don't hold me to that. I have my ballast outside of my tent anyway.

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Thanks, mate.

If I were to go down this route. What set-up would you recommend. (List of items) I'm looking at 250w HPS.
Thanks again,
TAT

Donks

Post by Donks »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:37 pm
Thanks, mate.

If I were to go down this route. What set-up would you recommend. (List of items) I'm looking at 250w HPS.
Thanks again,
TAT
I'm not the most experienced on here by far Aspie so i will leave this open to others. I would advise meeting in the middle if possible and going for the lumii tima 400w with built in timer, i haven't had an issue and love mine. The reason why i say 400 is i started with a 250w thinking it would be sufficient but then bought the 400. I will use the 250w for veg but deffo beneficial to have more for flower, kinda goes without saying i know

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

I doubt the wife will go with 400w as she pays the bill, but a 250w HPS would give me more yield than a 300w CFL or a 200w LED for sure.

Donks

Post by Donks »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:52 pm
I doubt the wife will go with 400w as she pays the bill, but a 250w HPS would give me more yield than a 300w CFL or a 200w LED for sure.
Damn i'm having to sign in everytime i comment. A 250w will do you proud anyway mate. It will be great to see you doing your first grow with a new setup. I'm not sure what my 250 is but deffo nothing flash but it gets the job done. What you gonna be growing in?

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Buddonkey wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:58 pm
The Aspie Toker wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:52 pm
Damn i'm having to sign in everytime i comment. A 250w will do you proud anyway mate. It will be great to see you doing your first grow with a new setup. I'm not sure what my 250 is but deffo nothing flash but it gets the job done. What you gonna be growing in?
I was having to do that this afternoon when it was flipping between servers, but it's not happened to me since. Keeno had problems logging on too.

I'll be growing organically in soil.

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Hi guys,

Fair play on the upgrade Asp always pays you back in the end if you could convince the Mr's thats generally the case if all goes well i'd certainly think about a digital ballast set to 400 with either 400w HPS or 400w MH you would benefit far more with that option yield wise you would easily double up remember they generally judge light value per sqm to estimate yield Or...... Have you thought about a COB LED 300w grow i know i certainly have just look at Bull's diarys he smashes them out for fun no probs mate
🍁 Who Jah Bless No Man Curse 🍁

Return to “Cannabis Issues And Questions”