Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

beginning of mould on soil im sure after 5 months..

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
potentcheesydick

beginning of mould on soil im sure after 5 months..

Post by potentcheesydick »

Will add pics after I post, was going to say I'm not 100% that its mould but I'm majorly sure as i had mould earlier this week and removed it, it was very small as though it hadn't spread much and cobweb like I picked out surrounding soil to be sure but that first small clump started by using reflective mylar on top of soil like this..

U live and learn but this could have easily been avoided if I used common sense as I created the perfect environment for mould with the dampness of the soil staying for top long plus heat of tent is at 20°c so didn't help things

I gave a fresh feed and didnt dechlorinate the water (one time) incase it helped with bad bacteria, im also growing organic using biobizz beet sugars, could that affect good bacteria? also added white granulated sugar to the mix concluding that plants break light down into sugars and energy adding sugar surely won't harm it and hear it improves taste not sure tried it anyway, could that add to the problem?

This is the new mould although light its there what can/should I do?
These users thanked the author potentcheesydick for the post:
Guest (Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:49 pm)
Gee me dope, Joanna.. :roll:

Re: beginning of mould on soil im sure after 5 months..

Post by Guest »

Look up Mycelia. You could be removing a goldmine of good bacteria and fungal growth right there.

There will be loads of pictures on a Googl search
Last edited by Guest on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
potentcheesydick (Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:12 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:45 am)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

potentcheesydick

Adding attatchments option isn't here? Can you grow good mycelium through unfavourable dampness?
Guest (Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:55 pm)

Post by Guest »

potentcheesydick wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:43 pm
Will add pics after I post, was going to say I'm not 100% that its mould but I'm majorly sure as i had mould earlier this week and removed it, it was very small as though it hadn't spread much and cobweb like I picked out surrounding soil to be sure but that first small clump started by using reflective mylar on top of soil like this..

U live and learn but this could have easily been avoided if I used common sense as I created the perfect environment for mould with the dampness of the soil staying for top long plus heat of tent is at 20°c so didn't help things

I gave a fresh feed and didnt dechlorinate the water (one time) incase it helped with bad bacteria, im also growing organic using biobizz beet sugars, could that affect good bacteria? also added white granulated sugar to the mix concluding that plants break light down into sugars and energy adding sugar surely won't harm it and hear it improves taste not sure tried it anyway, could that add to the problem?

This is the new mould although light its there what can/should I do?
Look up Mycelia. You could be removing a goldmine of good bacteria and fungal growth right there.

There will be loads of oics on a Googl search

It could also be overwatering? I use organics and have heard of biobizz. Not come across many that use it. If you're doing it from a bottle or tab I'd make it simple and get a 1 bottle organic feed. There is one USA brand thats supposed to be good.

All depends on which approach you are to consider?

There's always people here that will help.

If you're well into organics look up Clackamas Coot soil recipe or I use my own too if you want mine. I buy all dry amendments from GHO (Green Hand Organics) there should be a linlk down below somewhere in the ads. If not I use Indoor Organics and Ecothrive products.

Good luck anyway :oik!:
Last edited by Guest on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potentcheesydick (Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:03 pm) • 2-Scoops (Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:17 pm)

Post by Guest »

potentcheesydick wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:54 pm
Adding attatchments option isn't here? Can you grow good mycelium through unfavourable dampness?
Very good question.

I you get a sealed container and mix compost with either:

Soya Bean Meal
Powdered Malt (Available from GHO/green hand organics as I use this)
Oatmeal Bran
Baby Oatmeal (bee's knee's apparantly)

Keep in a dark place around 27 degrees celcius for 3 days

This will gro visable mycelia that gives fungi a boost.

These type of fungi are harder to grow than others. You may just be in luck.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
potentcheesydick (Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:12 pm)

potentcheesydick

So there's always natural fungi in soil and feeding it is highly beneficial to soil and plant?

Also would the good mycelium I would create out compete the bad every time if say there is any?

I'm getting excited reading about this as my plant looks in perfect health aside from a leaf or two and the mould will have been there for a week and a bit, great info mate
Guest (Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:18 pm)

Post by Guest »

There is fungi everywhere in the air we breath. That is why locally made microbials and innoculants are good as they will more than likely match the local fungi in the atmosphere.

There are good fungi and bad. Look up Jef Lowenfels books (Spelling may be slightly different ;-) I read them and that gave me a decent understanding. Although I feel I've still not scratched the surface.

Some of this info has only been around for a decade or two and new names for fungi come out each day.

GMO has lots of posts about things at he moment. He is more into the fermented feeds at the moment though, it's dealing with anaerobic ferments. I do dry amendments and now I do aerated compost teas to compliment my coco coir and vermi compost mix.
potentcheesydick (Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:00 pm) • 2-Scoops (Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:18 pm)

Post by Guest »

potentcheesydick wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:11 pm
So there's always natural fungi in soil and feeding it is highly beneficial to soil and plant?

Also would the good mycelium I would create out compete the bad every time if say there is any?

I'm getting excited reading about this as my plant looks in perfect health aside from a leaf or two and the mould will have been there for a week and a bit, great info mate
Michorazae fungi (spelling everyone gets wrong or it is different) is what most people like to use when re potting. This is a freindly fungi for the roots.

Don't take my word as I can't see what it looks like. If its green stinking coverage then it may be bad. I would look up pictures. If its a strain of bad mould it could get into the leaf tissues and bud strcuture.

I have had the same before and panicked. If its a white cobweb like structire it's more than likely mycelia.

Mycelial networks have been discovered miles large and they have also been known to support plants and they use this as a way of building big strong healthy relationships between plant to plant. I think lol. As far as I can remember.
potentcheesydick (Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:00 pm) • 2-Scoops (Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:18 pm)

potentcheesydick

I've been overloading on info and watching things on so many different topics even when I've not been arsed the past few days including but not only sodroponics, a how it works on the detailed curing process, hydro, hps, lux metres, grafting cannabis (thought it had different benefits lol), and just now discovered that the white cobweb like ball that formed might actually be good lol, i will come back to this stuff tho th more help for the plant the better but forgive me for being lazy but I kind of just want to know how I can use it, I don't mind what benefits it gives, if it is healthy I can make it reappear with as I mentioned unfavourable dampness on top of soil, should I?

It's definitely the beginning of cobweb as the first one was a ball of the stuff for better comparison a lot like the first mycelium fuzz from a magic mushroom grobox, not the thick white flesh, it kind of looks like a small white glow, and I think the soil smells healthy no bad or musty smell but why can I not add attatchments or how do I and ill send a pic 😁
Guest (Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:06 pm)

Post by Guest »

potentcheesydick wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:59 pm
I've been overloading on info and watching things on so many different topics even when I've not been arsed the past few days including but not only sodroponics, a how it works on the detailed curing process, hydro, hps, lux metres, grafting cannabis (thought it had different benefits lol), and just now discovered that the white cobweb like ball that formed might actually be good lol, i will come back to this stuff tho th more help for the plant the better but forgive me for being lazy but I kind of just want to know how I can use it, I don't mind what benefits it gives, if it is healthy I can make it reappear with as I mentioned unfavourable dampness on top of soil, should I?

It's definitely the beginning of cobweb as the first one was a ball of the stuff for better comparison a lot like the first mycelium fuzz from a magic mushroom grobox, not the thick white flesh, it kind of looks like a small white glow, and I think the soil smells healthy no bad or musty smell but why can I not add attatchments or how do I and ill send a pic 😁
I'd just carry on with what you're doing. As long as you have enough air circulating around your pots you shouldn't get any bad moulds anyway. I rememeber just turning mine back in when amending then I looked up and found out what it could have been.

You need to upload using "gallery image" Just ensure all your meta data or location services on phone is turned off. Some people use an app to get rid of any location data.
2-Scoops (Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:18 pm) • potentcheesydick (Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:22 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”