Welcome to Growroom420 growers forum. If this is your first visit you will need to register to access the forums full features and enter our many competitions. Click here to register.

THe BEST lighting for bud quality.

Cant find what you're looking for? ask here!
Viz
Respected User

THe BEST lighting for bud quality.

Post by Viz »

Hello all

This is a question (well two) open to all the wonderful members of GR420. Just to qualify, I am not looking for any marketing bullshit, nor any technical jargon that has zero real world meaning in growing so please folks don't start feeding me shyte about your readings taken using a meter or even worse some app on your smartphone. So please; will the fanboi's please just stay out of this thread.

Q. Based on your own growing experience, what lighting system has produced the best quality of bud for you.

I have been growing with CDM lighting for ages now, they are my go to light source. LED I have about 8 or 9 grows under my belt with two different kinds. That being said, there are so many different and diverse lighting systems out there that it is nearly impossible to have grown with all of them. And that is where you guys come in GR420 members.

A bit of history, Bulls and I had a chat a few years back about what would be the best lighting system for quality of bud. We discussed using combinations of lighting at the same time, we debated if it was worthwhile to spend mega dosh on the so called top end Plasma systems (this was a few years back), the then very new and exciting COB LED systems, of course the old faithful HPS to name but a few. Well things have moved on heaps, just think LED quantum boards. But I digress, Bulls and I ended up agreeing that it would be interesting to do a grow with different lighting systems at the same time. Which leads me to the second question.

Q. What would be the optimal lighting combination for producing the best bud possible, forget cost for now.

Cheers and thanks for reading.
These users thanked the author Viz for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:22 am) • jimmi2scoops (Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:04 pm)

green-qube
Glynne420
Respected User
Has thanked: 0

Re: THe BEST lighting for bud quality.

Post by Glynne420 »

Im an HID lighting person myself, i didnt do so well with a vipraspectra led and went back to HPS.
Like you Viz, Im really interested in this thread as im going to hopefully get back to growing very soon and want to know what the best lights for economy to weight as my new place is on a prepay meter.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Glynne420 for the post:
Viz (Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:26 pm)

GMO

Post by GMO »

best buds ive ever had imho were probably Blue cheese finished under LED and HPS combo

White LED with HPS dual spec combo gets my vote
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

B.G.
Known User

Post by B.G. »

I'm loving my invisible sun panels
Been using there for a good year now and wouldn't go back to hps
They grow some delicious flavour bud and nice and dense too
Hope all is good with you viz

from a green and pleasant land
These users thanked the author B.G. for the post:

Nanook
Banned users

Post by Nanook »

Personally I got very frosty from CDM, and LED from invis. Quality not quantity I would say on a par. Quantity you still cant beat HPS DE 400v dual specs imo :)
These users thanked the author Nanook for the post:
Viz (Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:27 pm)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Nomoli

Post by Nomoli »

Only used dual spec hps and invis leds. Now bear in mind ive only done like 4 or 5 grows my experience is this -
Hps gave me more weight of lower qiluality fluffy bud
Led has been giving me less weight but way better weed
The one i did mostly with hps and then led in the last two weeks or so was well somewhere in between. So on that basis i reckon a combo of anything with led alk the way would be best
These users thanked the author Nomoli for the post:
Viz (Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:27 pm)
Love alot trust a few but always paddle your own canoe

randyknorfleet

Post by randyknorfleet »

Actually I am new in this forum, Personally i am using LED grow light in my grow room. I have 3 room where separately use Mars hydro, king plus and bestva light. I am fully satisfy about the out put, I recommend you, if you want highest PAR/LUMEN Value per watts, Bestva led grow light is the perfect. (Just my personal opinion)
for you comfort, I attached some review blog, you can check, I hope these true review will help you to pick the best lighting for bud quality.

1. https://mygardenings.com/best-highest-y ... ow-lights/
2. https://www.thespruce.com/best-grow-lights-4158720
3. https://www.growweedeasy.com/led-grow-lights
4. https://moldresistantstrains.com/top-25 ... ow-lights/
5. https://productiongrower.com/blogs/news ... ights-2018
These users thanked the author randyknorfleet for the post:
Viz (Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:03 am)

jimmi2scoops
Team TGC

Post by jimmi2scoops »

Nanook wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:00 pm
Personally I got very frosty from CDM, and LED from invis. Quality not quantity I would say on a par. Quantity you still cant beat HPS DE 400v dual specs imo :)
Nanook mukka can i just buy a cheap DE fitting and shade that i can stick a DE bulb into, be that a 400 or 600 hps ? Also what bulbs are you using ? Cheers bud.

@Viz i still like dual spec hps myself even the cheapo sunmaster bulbs work a treat for me. That said ive only used Chinese made LED a few or three times, ok they weren`t cheapo things and made with cree cobs but they just didn`t have the umph for that final push for me and tbh i couldn`t tell any difference in quality with either, maybe i was doing summink wrong and yes i`ll prolly use them again come Summer. I do like the idea of mixing those single cree cobs with a hps myself, one down each side of my 400hps, but ive not got that far yet :)
These users thanked the author jimmi2scoops for the post:
Viz (Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:13 am)
"But your still looking at me that same damn way............ Like i just shit in your scrambled eggs" > Negan, Walking Dead

Nanook
Banned users

Post by Nanook »

Honestly jimmi I dunno, I got the omega 1000w dimmable gold ones, I did a review somewhere but they were very cheap with the omega dual spec lamp. They did 750, 875, 1000,1125 and 1200w or something settings.
These users thanked the author Nanook for the post (total 2):
jimmi2scoops (Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:12 pm) • Viz (Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:13 am)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

jimmi2scoops
Team TGC

Post by jimmi2scoops »

Nanook wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:02 pm
Honestly jimmi I dunno, I got the omega 1000w dimmable gold ones, I did a review somewhere but they were very cheap with the omega dual spec lamp. They did 750, 875, 1000,1125 and 1200w or something settings.
Will have to have a dig around cus i have a decent ballast. Cheers mate.
Viz (Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:12 am)
"But your still looking at me that same damn way............ Like i just shit in your scrambled eggs" > Negan, Walking Dead

GMO

Post by GMO »

jimmi2scoops wrote:
Nanook wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:02 pm
Will have to have a dig around cus i have a decent ballast. Cheers mate.
I think you wanna look at 400v for efficiency with HPS DE man.... but this ain't a stats thread so I'll leave it to someone with experience... I think MrMan swapped from 240v to 400v and rates it tho, so may be worth asking him too

translated from the bongo of the canna jungle

These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 2):
Viz (Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:12 am) • jimmi2scoops (Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:05 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Viz
Respected User

Post by Viz »

Was hoping for a bit more anecdotal input from our experienced growers, Sig where are you mate with your twenty years growing. Seriously buddie, and those that have used different lights tell me/us what you think.

My personal take is that if the LED far Red thing does what I hope it does that the CDM and far Red will be a leathal combination. GMO was correct one evening in chat when he said that the CDM are amazing veg plants, but I think there is more yet to come from them with a bit of help. Heck I love them but you know we all want the perfect bud.

I am going to try a few different things in the next year, a 1000W DE Philips Greenpower lamp and a quality light fitting with a pair of CDMs either side is one.
The new LEDs that InvisibleSun has with the CDM, or LED with HPS is a combination I want to explore too.

Please folks let me hear your thoughts. If you feel the only way you can talk about lights is via marketing stats then go for it, I would rather have discussion and debate than not.

Be back home soon and will engage more with the thread then.
These users thanked the author Viz for the post (total 2):
Invisible Sun (Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:34 am) • GMO (Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:35 am)

Invisible Sun

Post by Invisible Sun »

hi viz, im gonna keep it data based and give you a comparison of cmh - our 265 type r, youll be able to see the over lay of the 2 spectrums and actually see what youre getting from mixing or not.

hope it helps

great thread btwImage

These users thanked the author Invisible Sun for the post (total 4):
The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:40 am) • Viz (Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:06 am) • GMO (Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:37 am) • Marcus (Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:05 pm)
For further information on our products please visit our website www.invisiblesunled.co.uk

Viz
Respected User

Post by Viz »

Outstanding Invisible Sun that is very useful. I am not anti data, it is just that some vendors claim the word. Like when CDM first was released OMG they were meant to be the same a 1000w HPS, or 600W but the lamps and light tech are so different that it was in my view detrimental to the CDM lights uptake by growers. And that is a pity. The CDM lamps especially the better ones, have much to offer. Just what the full potential of the lamps are I do not know. And that is exactly the point. I want to know.

So please do share your thoughts mate, even if at the minute there is not hard data :dance:. We all can learn from those growers who have used different lamps, or smoked weed from good growers who have used different lamps from them. Our personal experiences or if you prefer the term, anecdotal evidence has value and I want to learn from you guys what you think.
These users thanked the author Viz for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:23 am)

Invisible Sun

Post by Invisible Sun »

cdm /cmh have some uv and far red in, not much mind but some of each, I would assume that's why they are liked by many as it provides a broader spectrum. Surpassed now though my pretty much all white light leds, from all brands. So maybe getting to that stage where they may become pointless.

anecdotally iv never had such good quality bud as I do now, iv grown the same strain before many times and its better than ever, this time it was done under a type r board. ill know more after the next run
These users thanked the author Invisible Sun for the post (total 2):
The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:49 am) • Viz (Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:02 pm)
For further information on our products please visit our website www.invisiblesunled.co.uk

Nomoli

Post by Nomoli »

I'm not a very good grower I know that and its not through lack of trying, it's that I'm just inexperienced. The best weed I've smoked was decades ago and done outside by a bunch of local travellars up in the hills of my home town. The one thing that I have done in the past year that made the biggest difference to my quality was too change from hps to led, and in the space I grow I know that I'm borderline just about having enough output for my area. But the difference in quality between the two was deffinately noticeable in every way, although the yield is a bit less (3 zips split across 4 plants difference) but the shit I have actually grown gets me baked now for a longer duration and when i added the far red leds it got better again especially in appearance. The point being a total noob found it much easier to produce a better smoke just by using led instead of hps alone with all other variables the same, so there has to be something in it. I've not tried cdm though, and tbh im not going to bother unless i get one for free to try and if i did i would combo it with the leds. I've been looking more at just adding a bit of uv, the futures bright and at the moment its white (with a bit of far red)
These users thanked the author Nomoli for the post:
Viz (Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:39 am)
Love alot trust a few but always paddle your own canoe

jimmi2scoops
Team TGC

Post by jimmi2scoops »

So what does the a broader spec lighting bring to table over a hps light and a bit of added UVB towards end of bloom ?. Not in cash/leccy saving or anythjng like those terms but in a better bigger stronger buddage terms. Is the weed stronger grown under an LED or CDM in comparison to a HPS ? Cus from my own very little experience of LED running same wattage (wall pull) as a 600hps and using cree cobs and some 5watt purps leds in the mix it certainly didn`t compare in a big fat buddage terms or weight come chop in comparison to me using a 600 hps running same cloned i think it was strawberry banana grown in same room afterwards and i can`t say i noticed any difference in strength or a big taste difference, fucked up old tastebuds maybe. Or was i was doing summink wrong and tbh ive only done about 3 or 4 grows with those LED, bare in mind i tend to grow doing a wee bit of supercropping and i lollipop a few weeks into bloom :thanks:

Suppose it`s same question Viz is asking or is it, i just don`t know :idn: If it is or isn`t soz for clog hopping thread Viz. :oik!:

Viz (Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:21 pm)

Viz
Respected User

Post by Viz »

Jimmi that is exactly the thing. I have grown with four different lights now, and honestly the only difference I can see is as GMO noted the veg part of the process the CDMs excel. Now what that does is mean I have fucking huge and very strong healthy plants. That gives me a great harvest every time. Nan has grown with CDM, think Bulls may have to, anyhow Nan and I got very resin heavy plants. But I know it can be improved, and I want to improve my growing and the quality of the bud. So mate you clog up my thread as much as you like you ask good questions and I am more than happy for you to keep asking good questions.
These users thanked the author Viz for the post:
jimmi2scoops (Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:24 pm)

GMO

Post by GMO »

from what i can gather from all the guys doing light research atm

light spectrum is very important up until 2-3 weeks into flower to establish plant structure. but majority of research still says intensity equals density

The real way to look at flowering potential is to check ppd for the area. exceeding 500-700 ppf per square meter can cause light stress which plants dont give sign of issue for. there fore an average ppd or 65umol per square foot. This is working on the assumption that the other 8 growing factors are within atmospheric ambient.

Base lighting, Mc Cree Par and first stage metabolism are currently believed to be related to different ratios of blue and deep red spectrum which form the basis for plant structure and rates of photosynthesis. But also that UV-b in short daily doses as little as 2-15 minute cycles has been shown to increase secondary metabolites in Hemp/CBD production

Dare i say, that all these factors may well be directly related to your cultivars and that any notion of best lighting needs to be specifically related to a stage of a plants life cycle and cultivar dependent
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
Viz (Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:03 pm)

jimmi2scoops
Team TGC

Post by jimmi2scoops »

Viz wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:24 pm
Jimmi that is exactly the thing. I have grown with four different lights now, and honestly the only difference I can see is as GMO noted the veg part of the process the CDMs excel. Now what that does is mean I have fucking huge and very strong healthy plants. That gives me a great harvest every time. Nan has grown with CDM, think Bulls may have to, anyhow Nan and I got very resin heavy plants. But I know it can be improved, and I want to improve my growing and the quality of the bud. So mate you clog up my thread as much as you like you ask good questions and I am more than happy for you to keep asking good questions.
So your prolly not one for this, but you know you can send a little bud of to @dnasupplies via instagram and get its credentials (thc and such like) for £15 a test i think it costs. Maybe an idea doing this with same plant over 12months with different lighting ? Theirs a UK guy called Ginge on another site we use thats had it done by them. :)

Return to “Growing Q&A Room”