Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Old School Strains vs New School Strains an Open Discussion

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics
Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Re: Old School Strains vs New School Strains an Open Discussion

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

Bulls wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:25 am
I'll give my 2p worth of opinion as well lads. I've only first get to know cannabis in the late 90s and don't get me wrong but back then the weed was so stinky that you couldn't stay around if you are not a fan. It was just pure cannabis smell from the moment u spark that joint....I've tried variety of seeds but so far the best smokes I get is from what people say old school cuttings.. I think growing Exodus Cheese was the first time when I experienced that stinky weed I remembered back in the days. And I do think all new strains look different from what I've seen back in the past. Let's say I am not a huge fan of experimenting with all the new strains as found my G spot with a few "oldschools" and don't feel the need to change them.
Cheers for your input Bulls! I started puffing the magical green mid 90's myself. As you say, those skunks from the 90s were super pungent. I've herd people say that's why they aren't around as much anymore.... They drew to much heat from the authorities due the smell. I's sure that it likely added to it.

Bro I respect that mate, you've found what you like and works for you and your sharpening to a very fine edge. I've seen the quality of your grows. There is a lot to be said for that man.

I've only got one keeper clone, my Moontang cut, that's got that super loud old school skunk and funk and stinks out the room. And yup...Its the offspring of all "old school" parents.

https://www.allbud.com/marijuana-strain ... d/moontang
These users thanked the author Cave Hill Cole for the post (total 2):
Bulls (Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:01 am) • Ukbudz (Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:48 am)
Weed will get me through times of no money, better than money will get me through times of no weed - Robert Sabbag, Smoke Screen

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

This is a subject that i think about a lot. I often say that i never get the "omg" factor with new strains like i used to. I remember to this day the first time i tried certain strains back in the day. The first time i tried Diesel, Northern Lights, White Widow, Purple Haze. Them strains and more were so different and as mentioned above the smell so unique and powerful to each. You could tell strains apart if you had had them back then by smell and taste. The mad boom in breeding in recent years i believe has muddied the genetic waters so to speak. I spoke to a old breeder recently, he said the "old school" strains were all worked from a very pool of genetics for a long time. This could be the cause. The older strains that had been refined over many years being bred in a small group. These days everything thats looking like it may be a new "hype" strain is thrown with the previous hype strain by breeders. I dont think the same level of love and dedication goes into breeding like it used to.

When it was completely illegal everywhere seeds were still valuable, but not in the numbers they are these days. These days i fear quality it compromised to cater for quantity and demand. If i was to breed tomorrow, playing with 20 plants, the time and dedication each plant would get would be good. If my genetics were in demand and i had to produce 10x more seeds next year then i wouldn't be able to show that same level of care and attention to detail to every plant. Add in these big breeders have to keep up with the new popular strains...

I dont think we will see the like of what i class as "old school" again.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 5):
Guest (Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:25 pm) • Cave Hill Cole (Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:52 pm) • NiGHTMARE (Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:19 pm) • Ukbudz (Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:48 am) • sybarite (Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:50 pm)

Post by Guest »

Keeno wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:01 pm
This is a subject that i think about a lot. I often say that i never get the "omg" factor with new strains like i used to. I remember to this day the first time i tried certain strains back in the day. The first time i tried Diesel, Northern Lights, White Widow, Purple Haze. Them strains and more were so different and as mentioned above the smell so unique and powerful to each. You could tell strains apart if you had had them back then by smell and taste. The mad boom in breeding in recent years i believe has muddied the genetic waters so to speak. I spoke to a old breeder recently, he said the "old school" strains were all worked from a very pool of genetics for a long time. This could be the cause. The older strains that had been refined over many years being bred in a small group. These days everything thats looking like it may be a new "hype" strain is thrown with the previous hype strain by breeders. I dont think the same level of love and dedication goes into breeding like it used to.

When it was completely illegal everywhere seeds were still valuable, but not in the numbers they are these days. These days i fear quality it compromised to cater for quantity and demand. If i was to breed tomorrow, playing with 20 plants, the time and dedication each plant would get would be good. If my genetics were in demand and i had to produce 10x more seeds next year then i wouldn't be able to show that same level of care and attention to detail to every plant. Add in these big breeders have to keep up with the new popular strains...

Hit the nail on the head there i think keeno.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:37 pm) • Cave Hill Cole (Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:53 pm) • Ukbudz (Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:49 am)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

Ukbudz wrote:Awesome topic :rock:

Not very often you see people growing out no names now [mention]Captain Beefheart[/mention] :Stoned: but you're right she's some very special herb. Grew a pack a few years ago and found one that tasted like orange burnt leather and hit like a train.

Too be honest me and my smoker mates don't really say something tastes old school more along the lines of that this weed tastes like that weed as in this weed tastes like cheese or haze but I've only been smoking since 07 and my mates a few years before that so we wouldn't really know old school weed which imo is 1980-2000. I am a second generation stoner though and I remember the old mans room of stinking of weed sometimes, of just pure skunk and I mean the kind of skunk you don't smell anymore, no sweetness or fruitiness it just screamed cannabis as soon as he sparked up or sometimes he used to get this absolute stinky cat pissy stuff :sick: yes this was the 80's and 90's when your dad smoked weed in his room and your mam sat and watched corrie while smoking aswell

I've grew a few cookies crosses out now and they've all had pretty much the same structure, small colas at the top then just golf ball nugs all the way down the stem, some with pretty colours and some without. Had some absolute horrendous hermie rates from them also. They all had that "bag appeal" that commercial people love but just never done it for me unfortunately.
Aye its why I keep this one it's the smelliest skunk / earthy / fueld blusey thing I've ever smoked and its a belter for yield solid heads on it, i had to chop the last lot at 7 weeks of 12/12 my filter was fuked and I could smell it badly outside . Ewe see it in about 9 weeks in its prime I've smoked that many flavours over the decades I've lost count but this 1 will stay with me till I get smoked / cremated . Go steady

Great Googly Moogly

These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 3):
Cave Hill Cole (Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:53 pm) • Rassensi (Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:04 pm) • Ukbudz (Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:48 am)

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Cave Hill Cole wrote:
Captain Beefheart wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:23 pm
i`ll be back in 9 weeks with some flowers hows that....... god bless the skunk.
Hey captain, you been growing for few moons now...have you noticed a different in skunk structure/potency? If you bought skunk 1 seeds today will the plant look the same as a skunk 1 from the 90's?

That sounds like a banging plant mate! That's what you one, no nonsense a plant that's going to let your hair on fire after every bowl
Well bach it just so happens I've got a sensi seeds.... Skunk#1 x blueberry x afghan cooking here, so I'm hoping that there mite be a bit of old skool in it I'll be growing it out next I've topped it all I can say is we will see when I root up a cutting

Here it is I don't mind a berry poking through see Image

Great Googly Moogly

These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 3):
Cave Hill Cole (Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:58 pm) • Rassensi (Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:05 pm) • Ukbudz (Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:49 am)

TTL
Known User

Post by TTL »

Rosy retrospection is an interesting thing.
These users thanked the author TTL for the post:
Cave Hill Cole (Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:59 pm)

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

Keeno wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:01 pm

Cheers Keeno, I have had exactly the same thoughts myself. I think that's why you have to be so careful with your seed/breeder selection if you want something truly mind bending and special that could be considered a super elite. I was listening to an interview with Chimera, a Canadian breeder with a academic background in genetics and botany. He was basically saying that the breeding practice of working with a single male is another addition to the problem. When instead, you should be doing open pollination at the beginning of a breeding project so you preserve all the genetic traits, that way you now have thousands of seeds to go back to, that hold all the genetic traits. Then you go forward select your males and breeding paris.

It seems like a way some modern breeders get around this issue, is by breeding the new hype clone back to a landrace heriloom...or some old sensi/seedbank, super sativa seed club clones or seeds from the past. This seems to the method that one of my favorite breeders (Bodhi) utilizes.

Personally I stay away from the hype strains until I can find a reputable breeder that I trust carrying it...its usually a couple years after it first arrives on the scene.

Thanks for 2P bro! Glad I'm not the only one knocking this subject around in my head, like kicking a ball against a wall haha.
These users thanked the author Cave Hill Cole for the post:
Ukbudz (Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:51 am)

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

i dont follow they canna breeding / seedbanks hype and stuff,i just grow my smoke to me if it makes me dribble after a bowl im sorted. i aint half had a load of shit ones over the yrs thats for sure. :Stoned:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 2):
TTL (Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:55 pm) • Cave Hill Cole (Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:55 pm)

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

Captain Beefheart wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:46 pm
i dont follow they canna breeding / seedbanks hype and stuff,i just grow my smoke to me if it makes me dribble after a bowl im sorted. i aint half had a load of shit ones over the yrs thats for sure. :Stoned:
Amen Captain...thats my test too...if it makes me drool and stumble around with a vacant look in my eye like I got voodoed by a witch doctor...she's a keeper hahaha
These users thanked the author Cave Hill Cole for the post (total 2):
Captain Beefheart (Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:00 pm) • Ukbudz (Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:51 am)

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Aye bach that's the one.... This 7 week flower does that to me

Curing nicely it is Image

Great Googly Moogly

These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 2):
Cave Hill Cole (Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:09 pm) • Ukbudz (Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:51 am)

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”