Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Brix Level Check

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics

Brix Level Check

Post by Guest »

Hey Growees, Smokers, Mad Science People and all,

I recieved my refractometer last night.

I checked both of my plants fan leaves, big and small and I'll say I'm very please with the results..

11% on my 2 autos and I think that was lower because I picked a lower more yellow leaf too.

My bigger photoperiods were 13%

Apparently above 12% means that you won't get any sucking insects. Win win plus a sign of good health and even better, good medium soil microbiome.

Perfect πŸ‘Œ
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 5):
Josh (Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:36 am) • seymore_budz (Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:29 am) • Minty (Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:40 am) • MrNice (Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:28 pm) • duke (Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:12 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube

Re: Brix Level Check

Post by Guest »

Elijahgrowz wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:24 am
Had to Google that πŸ˜‚ can you tell me why you need it though? I think weed growing is getting a little to complex all these fancy gadgets will it make tee plant grow better? I'm just asking no malice I think I fit into the category of K. I. S. S! alot seem to be going down the over doing it with gadgets route (just my opinion) πŸ‘πŸ½ all these readouts and meters are they really necessary?
In organic growing you can have ore control over your brix levels. A good brix level means my microbiome is healthy.

In my work, I constantly check things, inspect them so I know where to improve if necessary. This is no different and it is just a tool for checking how healthy my plants are.

Certainly gives me lots of confidence.

So see it as a way to simplify it, as its giving me information about my grow. The more information you have, the easier you can be confident in what you suspect or what to do next. I can then also do a compost tea (which I intend to do) then check a day or 2 after, this will tell me how well my plants are reacting to the tea.

Also it can tell me whatever I'm changing in my medium is affecting the brix level.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 4):
Elijah Growz (Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:38 am) • Bulls (Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:28 am) • Minty (Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:40 am) • MrNice (Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:31 pm)

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

I've never heard of that myself. As I am completely unaware of what you're talking about, i'd like to ask the question - If microbiome is unhealthy, would that show on the plant? Unahppy leaves, deficiency or anything similar?
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post (total 2):
Elijah Growz (Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:31 am) • Minty (Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:41 am)

Post by Guest »

Bulls wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:30 am
I've never heard of that myself. As I am completely unaware of what you're talking about, i'd like to ask the question - If microbiome is unhealthy, would that show on the plant? Unahppy leaves, deficiency or anything similar?
If there's no microbiome in the medium then the plants won't be uptaking properly. So yes, yellow leaves, dying off.

Thats generally what a compost tea is good for.

Post by Guest »

This also may help?

I only use dry amendment, which is a Non Ionic form (assuming you know what that means?)

The only way the plant can then uptake the nutrients is if microbes make it available by the plant releasing exudates. There is one other way and that requires composting or for the amendment I put in to break down. That would take 6 months or more as far as I'm aware of.

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

so you are checking the available sugars in the plant,or that it is making...bec. BRIX is used in wine making ,checked with hydrometer to measure sugars in juice for alcohol projections,can use the refractometer also,thankx
These users thanked the author JJ for the post:
Guest (Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:09 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Elijahgrowz wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:24 am
Had to Google that πŸ˜‚ can you tell me why you need it though? I think weed growing is getting a little to complex all these fancy gadgets will it make tee plant grow better? I'm just asking no malice I think I fit into the category of K. I. S. S! alot seem to be going down the over doing it with gadgets route (just my opinion) πŸ‘πŸ½ all these readouts and meters are they really necessary?
These were or are used as a measuring device for food strength, a bit like EC pens are now but before you could get EC pens, well not before but they`ve been around since Adam, but not to to measure fert strength but kinda in a roundabout way. You knew if you were over feeding or underfeeding with it, basically its a measuring device to tell you how much carbs/food plant has in it and by knowing that you knew whether to add more ferts or not, peeps still use them that way today but its a bit old school nowadays or so i would say myself. I think they have other uses too but not sure about that tbh.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Elijah Growz (Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:44 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Post by Guest »

Low levels of Brix can also be a sign of too high Nitrate levels in the plant apparently, so I've seen online. Which may be even more useful for people growing with ionic form or synthetic nutrients. May be something you can easily fix then.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
2-Scoops (Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 pm)

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

duw duw shit just started getting all serious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: fuk me. :idn:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post:
Guest (Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:00 pm)

Post by Guest »

You can also undercover a calcium deficiency using a refractometer like this too. Could be useful for some people here too πŸ‘

Return to β€œGeneral Growers & Cannabis Discussion”