Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

GrumpyGrower's guide to foliar feeding

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics

Do you foliar feed? your plants

Yes all the time!
50%
Yes but only for correcting issues
25%
No but I may consider trying
19%
No way am I spraying my plants!
6%

Total votes: 16

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Re: GrumpyGrower's guide to foliar feeding

Post by The Aspie Toker »

grumpygrower wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:35 pm
Use a wetting agent

Wetting agents play two roles in aiding the foliar application. First, wetting agents soften the surface tension of the water, allowing the water droplets to sit flat on the leaves. This improves coverage and in turn, improves uptake. Second, they also make the water "sticky" so it doesn't run off the plant. This also improves uptake as the nutrient rich water stays in contact with the leaf for longer. It's not essential but it will improve the coverage and uptake significantly. Wetting agents also improve pesticides using the same mode of action.
I tried that and the day afterwards it looked like someone had jizzed over my plants.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:39 pm
grumpygrower wrote:
Use a wetting agent

Wetting agents play two roles in aiding the foliar application. First, wetting agents soften the surface tension of the water, allowing the water droplets to sit flat on the leaves. This improves coverage and in turn, improves uptake. Second, they also make the water "sticky" so it doesn't run off the plant. This also improves uptake as the nutrient rich water stays in contact with the leaf for longer. It's not essential but it will improve the coverage and uptake significantly. Wetting agents also improve pesticides using the same mode of action.
I tried that and the day afterwards it looked like someone had jizzed over my plants.
A few drops of washing up liquid per liter works as good as anything, tis great for preventing bugs, in fact Dad a world champion tomato grower (to me he was ) swore by it for preventing bugs, im talking on vegging plants here Aspie or you`ll be blowing bubbles when your smoking your weed. Tis lesser jizzy looking next day:)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Wed May 20, 2020 2:09 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

jimmi2scoops wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 pm
The Aspie Toker wrote:
grumpygrower wrote:
Use a wetting agent

A few drops of washing up liquid per liter works as good as anything, tis great for preventing bugs, in fact Dad a world champion tomato grower (to me he was ) swore by it for preventing bugs, im talking on vegging plants here Aspie or you`ll be blowing bubbles when your smoking your weed. Tis lesser jizzy looking next day:)
I've done the washing up liquid trick before with chilli plants. It does dull the leaves at times.

I tried aloe vera and water with the cannabis plants and that is when it looked like jizz.
These users thanked the author The Aspie Toker for the post:
2-Scoops (Wed May 20, 2020 1:59 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

jimmi2scoops wrote:
The Aspie Toker wrote:
grumpygrower wrote:
Use a wetting agent

This is 100% true for more than one reason. If you get your brix levels over 11 aphids won't attack. Foliar feeding raises the brix. And of course the washing up liquid works as an insecticidal soap.
The Aspie Toker wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:57 pm
jimmi2scoops wrote:
The Aspie Toker wrote:
I've done the washing up liquid trick before with chilli plants. It does dull the leaves at times.

I tried aloe vera and water with the cannabis plants and that is when it looked like jizz.
You sure that ain't bicarb mate? I've used a few but atm I'm using hydro bursrt.

These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Wed May 20, 2020 2:09 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

grumpygrower wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:07 pm
You sure that ain't bicarb mate? I've used a few but atm I'm using hydro bursrt.
100% sure. There's no bicarb in our water, nor in the aloe vera plant.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:08 pm
grumpygrower wrote:
OK, cool. If I use my tap water, it leaves white powder behind. Using RO with the wetting agent and nitrozyme etc don't leave residue. Not tried aloe vera though :)
The Aspie Toker (Wed May 20, 2020 2:13 pm)

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

grumpygrower wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:12 pm
The Aspie Toker wrote:
grumpygrower wrote:
OK, cool. If I use my tap water, it leaves white powder behind. Using RO with the wetting agent and nitrozyme etc don't leave residue. Not tried aloe vera though :)
That will be limescale in your water.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:13 pm
grumpygrower wrote:
The Aspie Toker wrote:

Ahh that's what I meant by bicarb. Calcium carbonate
The Aspie Toker (Wed May 20, 2020 2:18 pm)

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

grumpygrower wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:15 pm
The Aspie Toker wrote:
grumpygrower wrote:

There's calcium carbonate in the water, but it wasn't that which caused the white blobs on the leaves. It 100% came from the aloe vera.
These users thanked the author The Aspie Toker for the post:
seymore_budz (Wed May 20, 2020 2:18 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:17 pm
grumpygrower wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:15 pm
The Aspie Toker wrote:

There's calcium carbonate in the water, but it wasn't that which caused the white blobs on the leaves. It 100% came from the aloe vera.
Wow, I always thought aloe vera wouldn't leave a residue. I'll stay away from the aloe then. GMO was talking me into that shizzle this morning lol. calcium carbonate / calcium bicarbonate / limestone are all the same thing.

I've just bought a tub of the stuff IntegraJosh posted a link too. Looks amazing. Packed full of bacterias that keep mold and mildew away as vitamins, trace elements, aminos, polysaccharides and lots of stuff. I'll open a thread once it arrives and I've used it throughout a grow.

https://dragonfly-earth-medicine.square ... 16?cs=true
The Aspie Toker (Wed May 20, 2020 2:46 pm)

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”