Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

GrumpyGrower's guide to foliar feeding

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics

Do you foliar feed? your plants

Yes all the time!
50%
Yes but only for correcting issues
25%
No but I may consider trying
19%
No way am I spraying my plants!
6%

Total votes: 16

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Re: GrumpyGrower's guide to foliar feeding

Post by Josh »

grumpygrower wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:35 pm
integrajosh wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:07 pm
I'll be spraying this up until 2-3 weeks of flower https://dragonfly-earth-medicine.square ... 16?cs=true
More of a preventative to bud rot and pm

I'll be following your recommendations for sure

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Awesome, thanks for sharing Josh!! I think I'm going to have to get some of that shizzle for myself, looks awesome stuff! I've used the bacterias from Hydrogarden but they leave a horrible mess and don't contain all the goodies like that Natural Mistik.

Edit: Just saw the price over here!! I'll let you test it before I jump in.... £60 a tub over here!!! I spat tea from my nose when I saw that lol $42 direct. That's some fooking markup.
lmaoo
ya man I don't blame you, that's a crazy mark-up! Granted, I think the application rate is super low dose so should last for quite a while. I mainly bought from them because it seems like a small family owned company, plus the ingredients are pretty spot on :rock:

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Mini-G-Star wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:41 pm
Very interesting Grumpy Grower, I voted no as that's what my mentor reckons 😂
Tell him he can use Ionic and he will approve :)
integrajosh wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:54 pm
grumpygrower wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:35 pm
integrajosh wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:07 pm
I'll be spraying this up until 2-3 weeks of flower https://dragonfly-earth-medicine.square ... 16?cs=true
More of a preventative to bud rot and pm

I'll be following your recommendations for sure

Awesome, thanks for sharing Josh!! I think I'm going to have to get some of that shizzle for myself, looks awesome stuff! I've used the bacterias from Hydrogarden but they leave a horrible mess and don't contain all the goodies like that Natural Mistik.

Edit: Just saw the price over here!! I'll let you test it before I jump in.... £60 a tub over here!!! I spat tea from my nose when I saw that lol $42 direct. That's some fooking markup.
lmaoo
ya man I don't blame you, that's a crazy mark-up! Granted, I think the application rate is super low dose so should last for quite a while. I mainly bought from them because it seems like a small family owned company, plus the ingredients are pretty spot on :rock:
The product sounds spot on mate. I nearly done a little sex wee when I read what's in it :) I want it now :lol;
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Have done it many times with just A&B at EC`s of 3.0 to 4.0 in times gone by, doing it twice a day at lights on and just before lights out, have also done it 3 times per day as well at mid day too whilst lights are on. To be honest i don`t worry about odd scorch mark on odd leaf and that`s all it is odd leaf, but if it happens it happens, tis no biggi. I use a few drops of washing up liquid as a wetting agent (a great bug repellent as well by the way) per liter and it`s only ever done in veg if i do it. Idea behind the high ec is its not avbailable constantly and only for a short time unlike feeding through roots ferts are ready as and when plant want`s, never had any problems running high EC and foliar feeding it to plants, in fact in doing so it corrects problems very much quicker than foliar feeding a lesser EC. Ive not done it for time tbh but i used to it regular and not always for treating defiencies. :)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
seymore_budz (Sun May 17, 2020 11:56 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

jimmi2scoops wrote:Have done it many times with just A&B at EC`s of 3.0 to 4.0 in times gone by, doing it twice a day at lights on and just before lights out, have also done it 3 times per day as well at mid day too whilst lights are on. To be honest i don`t worry about odd scorch mark on odd leaf and that`s all it is odd leaf, but if it happens it happens, tis no biggi. I use a few drops of washing up liquid as a wetting agent (a great bug repellent as well by the way) per liter and it`s only ever done in veg if i do it. Idea behind the high ec is its not avbailable constantly and only for a short time unlike feeding through roots ferts are ready as and when plant want`s, never had any problems running high EC and foliar feeding it to plants, in fact in doing so it corrects problems very much quicker than foliar feeding a lesser EC. Ive not done it for time tbh but i used to it regular and not always for treating defiencies. :)
This is some really valuable first hand feedback thanks bro

These users thanked the author Josh for the post (total 2):
2-Scoops (Sun May 17, 2020 9:14 pm) • seymore_budz (Sun May 17, 2020 11:57 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

integrajosh wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:55 pm
jimmi2scoops wrote:Have done it many times with just A&B at EC`s of 3.0 to 4.0 in times gone by, doing it twice a day at lights on and just before lights out, have also done it 3 times per day as well at mid day too whilst lights are on. To be honest i don`t worry about odd scorch mark on odd leaf and that`s all it is odd leaf, but if it happens it happens, tis no biggi. I use a few drops of washing up liquid as a wetting agent (a great bug repellent as well by the way) per liter and it`s only ever done in veg if i do it. Idea behind the high ec is its not avbailable constantly and only for a short time unlike feeding through roots ferts are ready as and when plant want`s, never had any problems running high EC and foliar feeding it to plants, in fact in doing so it corrects problems very much quicker than foliar feeding a lesser EC. Ive not done it for time tbh but i used to it regular and not always for treating defiencies. :)
This is some really valuable first hand feedback thanks bro

I`m not on about feeding stupid high EC`s to small baby plants but on a full on vegging plant with plenty of leafage it will take 3.0 all day long of A&B. But i can`t see why i would use owt else its more than likely same chemicals used in a bit more costly foliar feeds and has everything in for your plants needs. But yes a full on vegging plant will take 3.0ec all day foliar feeding twice daily if it has deficiencies and if your worried about that being high possibly try summink like 2.0 - 2.5 EC. Tis summink ive done and faffed around with @ different EC`s quite alot with just A&B in past. If you got deficiencies running with low EC below 2.0 it takes like years to correct, running with 2.0+ EC it`s corrected in no time at all.

Running high EC`s foliar spraying is more for correcting deficiencies quickly as well and not for feeding through leaves and roots together on a plant that looks great that`s being fed throuigh roots, cus obviously it will go tits up fast, but if you`ve got deficiencies and struggling to correct them, you can still feed through roots and run high ec in a foliar spray it will soon come good. :)

Sage
Respected Member

Post by Sage »

This is what i folar with.
These users thanked the author Sage for the post:
seymore_budz (Sun May 17, 2020 11:58 pm)
Anyone that has time for drama is not gardening enough.

q_indaloft2

Post by q_indaloft2 »

I'm going to change Epsom salts to foliar application. Think I've over done it and messed 2 plants up. Always worked before?
Last edited by The Aspie Toker on Sun May 17, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed text talk with English.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

jimmi2scoops wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:37 pm
Have done it many times with just A&B at EC`s of 3.0 to 4.0 in times gone by, doing it twice a day at lights on and just before lights out, have also done it 3 times per day as well at mid day too whilst lights are on. To be honest i don`t worry about odd scorch mark on odd leaf and that`s all it is odd leaf, but if it happens it happens, tis no biggi. I use a few drops of washing up liquid as a wetting agent (a great bug repellent as well by the way) per liter and it`s only ever done in veg if i do it. Idea behind the high ec is its not avbailable constantly and only for a short time unlike feeding through roots ferts are ready as and when plant want`s, never had any problems running high EC and foliar feeding it to plants, in fact in doing so it corrects problems very much quicker than foliar feeding a lesser EC. Ive not done it for time tbh but i used to it regular and not always for treating defiencies. :)
Thanks for the feedback jimmi2scoops! That's interesting to hear that you spray mid day with your lights on :) Love the boisterous approach.

I can explain the reason why I go in low on the EC. You can tip the balance pretty quickly. When making any changes, I prefer the small, incremental approach. If I feel I need to add a lot of food, I increase the frequency of applications. I'd hate for someone to read this, go spray their plants with a high EC and burn them. If you know what you're doing and know the plants, of course you can go higher.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

q_indaloft2 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:59 pm
I'm going to change Epsom salts to foliar application. Think I've over done it and messed 2 plants up. Always worked before?
Hey q_indaloft2,

Of course you can foliar feed epsom salts. Give it a whirl.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

grumpygrower wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:12 am
jimmi2scoops wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:37 pm
Thanks for the feedback jimmi2scoops! That's interesting to hear that you spray mid day with your lights on :) Love the boisterous approach.

I can explain the reason why I go in low on the EC. You can tip the balance pretty quickly. When making any changes, I prefer the small, incremental approach. If I feel I need to add a lot of food, I increase the frequency of applications. I'd hate for someone to read this, go spray their plants with a high EC and burn them. If you know what you're doing and know the plants, of course you can go higher.
That`s just the thing though Grumpy they don`t burn and ive done it lots in times gone by, i don`t do it so much now but whjen i was keeping plants in smaller pots for moms then yes i did use this technique lots. Ive pushed as high as 4.0ec with no problems in past feeding twice daily to fix deficiencies and im not implying go in with mad high EC`s to start if people are clueless and don`t know what your looking at if shit starts going south fast, but for sure 2.0-2.5 ec of AnB won`t burn a nice sized vegging plant at all if it`s got deficencies, only thing you may notice as with any foliar spraying is odd scorch from light magnifying wet leafage, but that`s hardly a worry and its not like it`s everywhere it`s the odd leaf where as if they were cooking from overferting it would be every leaf, even newly rooted cuts that look rough that may have taken a little longer to root through i can foliar EC`s of around 2.0 under my t-5, in fact foliar feeding cuts that are taking a while to root through that are starting to look rough you can bring them back foliar feeding x2 daily, maybe not crazy high EC`s but yes i`d risk near as dam it 2.0 no worries myself, well knowing me i`d go in with 2.0 but airing omn bside of caution for growers here. As for 3 times daily well maybe that was a bit of experimentation cus x 2 daily is usually enough as lights come on and just before lights out. I never spray a flowering plant either unless it has a problem like bugs but tbh i dont get bug problems (touch wood)

Yes i`m with you too i wouldn`t wan`t anyone to go overboard with their plants especially if they don`t know what they are looking at and carry on spraying crazy high EC cus shit could go tits up fast, but as said x2 daily with a 2.0ec to cure a deficiency im confident in saying things won`t go tits up mate. Next time or if you get a problem that calls for a foliar feed to sort it, give it a go and maybe try 2.0 ec on a newly rooted cutting too that`s looking a bit rough for a few days. Basically using higher ec just cures deficiencies quicker than using a lower EC so it might only take 3 days before a plant looks lush green again or your seeing a nice positive result and plant greening up, then you can easily just just hold off foliar feeding to see how plant reacts over next few days if your worried, problem is yes lots of growers aren`t as clued up as others so yes what im saying here is i here you mate. 8-)

Oh yes i`m not talking about organic ferts from a bottle here either guys i use mineral/chemical ferts. :Stoned:

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”