Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Another energy hike within the UK. Do you think hobby growing is sustainable?

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics
sir-scrogalot

Re: Another energy hike within the UK. Do you think hobby growing is sustainable?

Post by sir-scrogalot »

It's still worth growing if you're efficient and you yield well.

I don't bother worrying about 28c in my tent , I have my set up in the spare bedroom. So I just let the house temperature do the environment and close the door to the room. Heats up nicely in there when the lights are on and tents just vent into the room. Let the central heating do the job I say.

I realise that's not suitable for everyone as location of grow differs but if you're using led then you'd be better to rethink your location an bring it into a central heated location. It'll save you bags of cash on Heating & dehumidifiers .

When I look at the yields I get for just 160w of light plus fans it's still massively worth it.
Take a look at my new blog - www.grow-life.blog

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Another energy hike within the UK. Do you think hobby growing is sustainable?

Post by seymore_budz »

Very interesting reading all of your comments here. Looks like the general consensus is that people will continue to grow despite the increase in energy costs. Also interesting to read about the prices people are paying. I don't get involved in the street weed scene and everything I know about it all is third hand info from a reliable 'trust me bro' type of guy :D Disclaimer out of the way, I've heard that street weed has dropped to around £3k per kilo. There seems to be an abundance of weed available too. I think these lager gangs are just growing so much, they don't mind selling it for next to nothing and 9/10 the leccy is free so it doesn't affect them.

ATM, if you're on a fixed price contract you're safe but the next jump is going to be 80%. And that could increase further as we traverse 2023. To put this into perspective, at the current price cap, to run a 400w lamp for 18 hours will cost you around £1.90 per day or £57 pcm. After October this will cost you £3.70 per day or £111 pcm. That's just for one £400w light. I don't know the actual costs of running a whole room but at a guess, an average soil grow in a 1m2 tent with a 100mm extraction fan, a couple of osculating fan and maybe a radiator that kicks in when things get a little nippy will consume around 550w if sodium or 450w if running LED. So your average HPS hobby grow will cost around £5.50 per day or £165 pcm and your average LED hobby setup will cost you £4.20 per day or £126 if running for 18 hours per day. A little higher as I've just taken the wattage and multiplied but some of that wattage would be running continuously. My gut feeling is it would balance out to around those figures once taking all variables into consideration. The average grower would produce ~10oz from that area so taking all that into consideration, it's still cheaper to grow your own if you can afford the initial outlay.

But the price of energy isn't the whole picture. as we're not factoring in the price of your time and the risks of growing within the UK, Many of us growers are going to have to weigh everything up and make a decision. I think of the hours I have to put in to run a productive operation and it's getting a close one to call. Buying bud means I wouldn't have to mess about growing, trimming, curing, hiding it from family and visitors as well as storing large amounts of bud. Just the disposal of the waste material at the end of a cycle is a chore nowadays and you can't just put it in the bin anymore as the bin men are searching through your bins looking for stuff that shouldn't be in there! Not only that, we could see another 80% rise in March 2023 *welp*

Another worrying thing is the price of fertilizer. That hasn't seemed to filter down into the hobby market yet but there are massive price hikes incoming due to the increase cost in production. Maybe worms are the answer? Who knows hey.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
Captain Beefheart (Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:00 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

The 80% will kick in next month October then another 51% in January according to that Martin Lewis fella sad times ahead for many

Great Googly Moogly

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Captain Beefheart wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:55 pm
aye all shiny and labelled up :rolf:
Trying to draw people in like magpies
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Sad times indeed. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Look how the GBP has fell over the last few days. Other countries are laughing at us. Ofgem are telling us that if they didn't raise the price like they have then all but two energy suppliers would have folded but all are seeing 4x growth in just a few years. It's all bollocks if you ask me. Here's my tin-hat theory... The WEF have said that we need to cut our energy consumption considerably and in only a few years. Technology and advancements in energy efficiency has started to hurt the pockets of the energy companies. The same companies that attend these WEF conferences. It's a well known tactic to create a problem, beat people into submission then offer a solution. How do you keep profits high while cutting consumption? Create a crisis. The world is so corrupt atm and the veil is slipping.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 4):
420mFuk (Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:18 pm) • Herbalist (Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:49 pm) • Mrs Beefheart (Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:16 pm) • GHO (Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:14 am)

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

Great comments guys all very thought provoking, on the topic of weed prices when I run out I do occasionally buy some, around here in the northwest England it’s £190 an ounce from the guy my mate sources it from and has used the same guy for years, I would’ve say it was great compared to even my average home grown bud but it does the job.
I’m rolling an idea around in my head does anyone know is it just the roots that really need to kept warm ie 26/7 degrees or is it the canopy as well?, sorry if this is a rookie question.
These users thanked the author IMO for the post (total 2):
Herbalist (Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:49 pm) • Mrs Beefheart (Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:02 pm)

Herbalist
Bud Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by Herbalist »

🤔 time to rig the leccy i think.
These users thanked the author Herbalist for the post:
Mrs Beefheart (Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:02 pm)
Making plans with a stoner is like being with a prostitute. They tell you they’re coming, but you know it’s a lie.

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

At these coming prices I can't see myself being able to justify it for much longer
These users thanked the author Nom for the post (total 2):
Mrs Beefheart (Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:02 pm) • IMO (Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:07 pm)

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”