Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Silent 6” fan in the uk

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics
2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Re: Silent 6” fan in the uk

Post by 2-Scoops »

One of best buys i ever bought was one of these transformer type climate controllers, you can run them auto or manual, zero noise or hum not like the crappy digi type climate controllers, i run it with a black orchid 2 speed hybrid extractor fan which works a treat and moves lots of hot air in Summer, but quietest fans ive ever owned are the Rvk type but ive not had an ec fan. Although any fan turned down low with the transformer has zero noise or hum.

https://smartus.co.uk/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=154
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Herbalist (Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:36 am)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Pet G

Post by Pet G »

AC infinity....lovely fan,,,they are taking over/have taken over..in the states anyhow.
These users thanked the author Pet G for the post:
Vador (Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:59 pm)

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Nom wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:46 am
@Vador I've got both an ac infinity with the controller 67 and a revolution vector ec silenced v2 with the gas enviro v2 controller. Whats your budget like?

Both good fans. I prefer the gas enviro controller to the controller 67 of the ac infinity. The gas enviro can be used with all ec fans but not the ac infinity stuff. Think of ac infinity as a bit like apple in those terms. That said the ac infinity with a couple of inkbirds to control heaters and humidity would be waaay cheaper and just as affective.

One set up is the caddy coup de ville, the other is the Ford mondeo with the best trim level
Hmmm sounds interesting but costly, if I didn’t have so much equipment already I’d definitely invest but got a decent fan controller. That being said my setup doesn’t really react to humidity much, I mean the fan controller does a bit but it doesn’t add humidity when needed.
Decisions decisions
ncrypta.core wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:51 am
Nom wrote:
@Vador I've got both an ac infinity with the controller 67 and a revolution vector ec silenced v2 with the gas enviro v2 controller. Whats your budget like?

Both good fans. I prefer the gas enviro controller to the controller 67 of the ac infinity. The gas enviro can be used with all ec fans but not the ac infinity stuff. Think of ac infinity as a bit like apple in those terms. That said the ac infinity with a couple of inkbirds to control heaters and humidity would be waaay cheaper and just as affective.

One set up is the caddy coup de ville, the other is the Ford mondeo with the best trim level
That’s what’s put me off ac infinity I mean can not use any other controller but trying to find a 4inch with that spec aka 348m3/h and can’t unless get bigger fan as need around 174m3/h. I’m being getting new fan and tent by end of next month touchwood but the controller 69 looks tempting as it’s on your phone. Looking at getting the pulse to be my main monitor tho to replace my sensor push

@Vador to work out what size fan (LxWXH)x60=m3/h
The add
(25% for filter)
(3.5% for 350w light)
10% for ducting

So add total of this which is round off to 39%

So m3/h x 1.39= what you need to pull form your room

Example
If I get a 4x3x6 what fan I need

1.2x0.9x1.8= 1.944 x 60 = 116m3/h

116 x 1.39 (39%) = 162m3/h

4” ac infinity fan with filter
M3/h - 25%

348 x 0.75 = 261m3/h

Fan speed would run at: 62% of full power to get negative
Nice one cheers for the formula, I like to run a fan bigger than I need and run it at lower speeds rather than having a fan thats running flat out all the time and only just doing the job. It makes it quieter this way and also saves the fan a bit so win win, 10” is going to be massive with the led panels in there, it’s only 1.2x1.2 with a bit on the side for a veg tent.
high-as-ya-like wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:06 am
I use a 6 inch isomax and phonic trap ducting can't hear a thing

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Thanks I’ll have a look at that now.
IMO wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:09 am
I run a 5inch rvk with a varianc speed controller I usually only have it on half speed often lower, I think a lot of the hum of fans comes from them being mounted to a solid surface like a floor joist or wardrobe etc, if you can insulate it from the solid surface with rubber or foam I’ve found you get rid of that hum. I also have the filter on the outlet side of the pipe so I’m sure that acts as a silencer as well.
I did think that’s what had happened, maybe it had shifted and was against a roof joist, when I checked it was exactly as I left it with loads of insulation packed under it, I lifted it up and it still sounded exactly the same.

Been to the gs today and got some 6” insulated ducting, now I can remove the 6” to 5” reducer and the 5” ducting, got 5m of new ducting so can reposition the fan on the other side of the loft where it might not be as noticeable.
Got some proper ducting clips as well so gonna go remove all the gaffer tape and do it properly, give the fan a quick service while I’m at it, if there’s no improvement then it’s got to go
These users thanked the author Vador for the post:
ncrypta.core (Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:51 pm)
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

Vador wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:02 pm
Nom wrote:

Hmmm sounds interesting but costly, if I didn’t have so much equipment already I’d definitely invest but got a decent fan controller. That being said my setup doesn’t really react to humidity much, I mean the fan controller does a bit but it doesn’t add humidity when needed.
Decisions decisions
ncrypta.core wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:51 am
Nom wrote:

That’s what’s put me off ac infinity I mean can not use any other controller but trying to find a 4inch with that spec aka 348m3/h and can’t unless get bigger fan as need around 174m3/h. I’m being getting new fan and tent by end of next month touchwood but the controller 69 looks tempting as it’s on your phone. Looking at getting the pulse to be my main monitor tho to replace my sensor push

@Vador to work out what size fan (LxWXH)x60=m3/h
The add
(25% for filter)
(3.5% for 350w light)
10% for ducting

So add total of this which is round off to 39%

So m3/h x 1.39= what you need to pull form your room

Example
If I get a 4x3x6 what fan I need

1.2x0.9x1.8= 1.944 x 60 = 116m3/h

116 x 1.39 (39%) = 162m3/h

4” ac infinity fan with filter
M3/h - 25%

348 x 0.75 = 261m3/h

Fan speed would run at: 62% of full power to get negative
Nice one cheers for the formula, I like to run a fan bigger than I need and run it at lower speeds rather than having a fan thats running flat out all the time and only just doing the job. It makes it quieter this way and also saves the fan a bit so win win, 10” is going to be massive with the led panels in there, it’s only 1.2x1.2 with a bit on the side for a veg tent.
high-as-ya-like wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:06 am
I use a 6 inch isomax and phonic trap ducting can't hear a thing

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Thanks I’ll have a look at that now.
IMO wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:09 am
I run a 5inch rvk with a varianc speed controller I usually only have it on half speed often lower, I think a lot of the hum of fans comes from them being mounted to a solid surface like a floor joist or wardrobe etc, if you can insulate it from the solid surface with rubber or foam I’ve found you get rid of that hum. I also have the filter on the outlet side of the pipe so I’m sure that acts as a silencer as well.
I did think that’s what had happened, maybe it had shifted and was against a roof joist, when I checked it was exactly as I left it with loads of insulation packed under it, I lifted it up and it still sounded exactly the same.

Been to the gs today and got some 6” insulated ducting, now I can remove the 6” to 5” reducer and the 5” ducting, got 5m of new ducting so can reposition the fan on the other side of the loft where it might not be as noticeable.
Got some proper ducting clips as well so gonna go remove all the gaffer tape and do it properly, give the fan a quick service while I’m at it, if there’s no improvement then it’s got to go
Do you have it screwed to a joist?, I know Keeno spent a lot of time making his room soundproof as it was in his loft maybe he could advise.
These users thanked the author IMO for the post:
Vador (Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:59 pm)

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

IMO wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:08 pm
Do you have it screwed to a joist?, I know Keeno spent a lot of time making his room soundproof as it was in his loft maybe he could advise.
No it’s just sat on a pile of loft insulation to deaden the vibrations. Toying with the idea of suspending it with bungies from the joist

Just finished up in the loft, got the new 6” acoustic ducting fitted from the fan to the pipe in the roof, got the fan out of the loft and sprayed a load of wd40 through it, made the insulation pile even bigger and placed the fan on top then surrounded it by loads of old acoustic ducting, can barely hear it now massive improvement. Still not 100% happy but I reckon a new set of bearings in this fan will quieten it down no end.
Might see if I can email the manufacturer and find out what bearings they are
These users thanked the author Vador for the post:
biosynthetic (Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:50 pm)

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Sorry guys only just seen your comments
2-Scoops wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:08 am
One of best buys i ever bought was one of these transformer type climate controllers, you can run them auto or manual, zero noise or hum not like the crappy digi type climate controllers, i run it with a black orchid 2 speed hybrid extractor fan which works a treat and moves lots of hot air in Summer, but quietest fans ive ever owned are the Rvk type but ive not had an ec fan. Although any fan turned down low with the transformer has zero noise or hum.

https://smartus.co.uk/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=154
That’s interesting, so that transformer might be all it takes to quieten the fan down.
If only there was a way to try these things out before you buy them.
Pet G wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:23 am
AC infinity....lovely fan,,,they are taking over/have taken over..in the states anyhow.
Yeah it certainly seems that way, they are very popular aren’t they

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Vador wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:03 pm
That’s interesting, so that transformer might be all it takes to quieten the fan down.
It just works same way as an ec fan i think basically by turning down current/energy/whatever where as the cheapo digi climate controllers work differently and just slow motor so you still got the same 240v current going in. I just set mine at 28c with a 2c tolerance each side and when temps drop or climb it kicks fan up or down and either drops or raises temps to 28c leave hang the dongle and away we go. It doesn`t come with temp dongle thing, plug or bit you plug extractor into but just the unit box, but ask guys at shop and im sure they will put them in box for a few extra quid or do as i did and just cannabilize an old shitty temp control and use those. I wired it all up myself with help from guys via email and they sent diagrams, daft proof stuff mate really if i can do it with 1 arm im sure you could mukka.

Theirs some here going cheap if you know how to wire them up but im sure you could sort easily enough and im pretty sure i still got how too diagrams they drew me in saved emails, then again im not sure if i have tbh but think i saved them. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194997673646 ... SwuMliL9Rl
Herbalist (Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:40 am)

Daddypurps

Post by Daddypurps »

rvk with a silencer and acoustic ducting works for me with twin fan controls obviously 😊

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

2-Scoops wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:32 am
Vador wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:03 pm
It just works same way as an ec fan i think basically by turning down current/energy/whatever where as the cheapo digi climate controllers work differently and just slow motor so you still got the same 240v current going in. I just set mine at 28c with a 2c tolerance each side and when temps drop or climb it kicks fan up or down and either drops or raises temps to 28c leave hang the dongle and away we go. It doesn`t come with temp dongle thing, plug or bit you plug extractor into but just the unit box, but ask guys at shop and im sure they will put them in box for a few extra quid or do as i did and just cannabilize an old shitty temp control and use those. I wired it all up myself with help from guys via email and they sent diagrams, daft proof stuff mate really if i can do it with 1 arm im sure you could mukka.

Theirs some here going cheap if you know how to wire them up but im sure you could sort easily enough and im pretty sure i still got how too diagrams they drew me in saved emails, then again im not sure if i have tbh but think i saved them. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194997673646 ... SwuMliL9Rl
Nice one cheers buddy, I’ve heard of variac’s before but never really knew what it was for, just had a little read online and it sounds like a good option, that’s a decent price as well, I can wire it up myself and even have a couple of temperature probes left over from a raspberry ok project that might work with it.
Daddypurps wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:51 am
rvk with a silencer and acoustic ducting works for me with twin fan controls obviously 😊
What do you mean by a silencer please?

Well after all that messing around yesterday it’s made it nearly impossible to hear in the day so that’s a start, only trouble is when I was laid in bed last night i could hear it, needs more work. Getting there though

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

PM me if you go that route, if ya get stuck ill look for how too diagrams @Vador
Vador (Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:58 pm)

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”