Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Clones from tops

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics
IMO
Known User

Clones from tops

Post by IMO »

Hey guys
Just wondering as I’m doing my first photo grow, can you clone a top from a topped photo plant?
These users thanked the author IMO for the post (total 3):
anova.330 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:30 pm) • Jayme Ream (Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:11 pm) • GMO (Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:19 pm)

duke
Respected Member

Re: Clones from tops

Post by duke »

IMO wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:31 pm
Hey guys
Just wondering as I’m doing my first photo grow, can you clone a top from a topped photo plant?
hi yes there good and often be more vigorous due to apical dominance so go for it!good luck
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 5):
IMO (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:02 pm) • anova.330 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:30 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:38 pm) • 2-Scoops (Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:03 pm) • Jayme Ream (Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:11 pm)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

Thank you 😎
These users thanked the author IMO for the post (total 4):
anova.330 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:31 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:38 pm) • duke (Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:14 pm) • Jayme Ream (Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:11 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

agreed with the duke. hormones are created at the growth tips (roots and shoots) so you could see faster rooting and great vigor from top clones
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 3):
Jayme Ream (Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:11 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:26 am) • duke (Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:01 am)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

sir-scrogalot

Post by sir-scrogalot »

I Snapped the top of one of my plants. It rooted super fast.
These users thanked the author sir-scrogalot for the post:
duke (Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:01 am)
Take a look at my new blog - www.grow-life.blog

Ancient.Soul.Grown

Post by Ancient.Soul.Grown »

Hey yes you can take cuts from the top... however i seen a recent study showing that lower cuts don't drift in profile content.

Larger drift from tops compared to middle and lowers.

Cheap Grow Show spoke about this... Matthew Gates discussed the study.

I was always a tops guy.... but now gonna take from lowers.

Either way go for it hahaha just a note i wanted to share.

Do you have a diary we can follow?

Cheers

ASG
These users thanked the author Ancient.Soul.Grown for the post (total 3):
Wardrobe Farming (Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:27 am) • TommyT (Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:39 am) • duke (Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:01 am)

Wizard
Respected Member

Post by Wizard »

top clones have always seemed to be the fastest to root and strongest to grow for me
These users thanked the author Wizard for the post (total 2):
Wardrobe Farming (Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:27 am) • duke (Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:01 am)
We can get swept away by our thoughts,,or learn to step back and see them with clarity.
Easy to forget its a choice

TommyT
Known User

Post by TommyT »

Chad.Westport wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:01 am
Ancient.Soul.Grown wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:21 am
Hey yes you can take cuts from the top... however i seen a recent study showing that lower cuts don't drift in profile content.

Larger drift from tops compared to middle and lowers.

Cheap Grow Show spoke about this... Matthew Gates discussed the study.

I was always a tops guy.... but now gonna take from lowers.

Either way go for it hahaha just a note i wanted to share.

Do you have a diary we can follow?

Cheers

ASG
There was a recent paper "Accumulation of somatic mutations leads to genetic mosaicism in cannabis" by Kristian Adamek who came onto a show with me and was describing a higher rate of these mutations as you took clones higher on the plant. Now, this wasn't a life or death thing, it was just interesting knowledge to consider if someone goes clone to clone to clone, like I do. I also take mine from the bottom, which is where he found the lowest occurrence of these genetic changes to the clone. If I put it in the aerocloner, pretty much anything will clone for me.

Link to paper - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34806848/
That's interesting.
I've generally taken cuts from the top. I believe they root better because the stem hasn't became woody like the old growth.
I always just keep the mother alive long enough to get enough clones for a good crop.
But I also don't do breeding with the them. I leave that to the pros. I'm not smart enough.
It makes sense. A copy of a copy of a copy eventually will change. Just like when you made a copy of a cassette tape. They never sounded as good.
These users thanked the author TommyT for the post (total 2):
duke (Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:02 am) • Ancient.Soul.Grown (Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:52 am)
Purple Punch From Seedstockers
The other day when I was high I solved one of the world's greatest problems.
Unfortunately five minutes later I forgot what I was doing.

Sage
Respected Member

Post by Sage »

The way it was explained to me was that the newest growth (tops) have more varying levels of growth hormones. Especially by time of cut and to some degree height. Could be "bro science" but has seemed to prove true In my experience. The plant don't care if you like the taste, or the high, ect it want's to survive. So the tops roll the dice a bit more, a smaller set of dice but variables no matter. 100% inbreeding isn't necessarily the best idea from the plant as far as future survival and adaption to environments so mild fine tuning makes sense to a plant that will self pollenate for it's own survival. That's how I've always looked at it, lower growth is much more like the mother plant, and higher up newer growth wants to be vigorous in growth (cuts) and allow some more variants for overall species survival and reproduction. If you want as close to the mother as possible go mid and low, If you like your strain but prefer vigor at the cost of some drift go tops. If you like your strain and want to hunt a unicorn go tops as well because those small drifts in traits might make a 8 of 10 a 10 of 10 if you vary times and heights of your cuts. Look at the effects of hormone levels on any developing plant or animal, they make tweaks that effect the final result. Just my 2 cents take it with a grain of salt and do your research.
These users thanked the author Sage for the post:
duke (Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:03 am)
Anyone that has time for drama is not gardening enough.

Rawreefer
Grow Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by Rawreefer »

Small input, i normally take my clones from the middle or nearer the bottom. How ever on the last run took one from the top on a Pink Kush and the thing turned into a freak show and seemed to divide up into new tops all by itself...middle to bottom i think is more stable...
These users thanked the author Rawreefer for the post:
duke (Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:04 am)

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”