Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

How Economical Is Coco Coir?

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics

How Economical Is Coco Coir?

Post by Guest »

After looking into some research into how Coco Coir is actually produced is shocked me :Shock:

Someone once told me it took so many litres of fresh water 💧 to produce coco for growing. This made me wander as I originally thought being a bi product that this would make this product eco friendly.

After reading a few articles about this I thought it may be worth a share here.
After all I love my controversial subjects :lol:

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Coir.html

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/en ... onut-fiber

Also what I didn't know is the compressed coco coir is heat treated to make it viable for growing use which seems very contradictory to me.

What do you think?
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 5):
Ghost_In_A_Jar (Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:37 pm) • grow_guided (Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:15 pm) • duke (Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:50 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:14 pm) • Keeno (Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:58 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

KD
Known User

Re: How Economical Is Coco Coir?

Post by KD »

It's either bin it or put it to use imo. The fact that it literally grows on trees makes it renewable unlike peat from a bog.

Edit: in what way is heat treating compressed bricks a contradiction?
These users thanked the author KD for the post (total 2):
Guest (Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:27 pm) • duke (Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:51 pm)

grow_guided

Post by grow_guided »

Each to there own but I can’t stand the stuff as a growing medium, not even considering the environmental issue I just plain don’t like coco.
Good post
These users thanked the author grow_guided for the post:
Guest (Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:38 pm)

Post by Guest »

KD wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:39 pm
It's either bin it or put it to use imo. The fact that it literally grows on trees makes it renewable unlike peat from a bog.

Well dave, you're using a lot of energy to produce the coir. This would be more sustainable if it was local, like if you lookand read the read how the locals used to origionally produce this stuff for cloth, fibres for growing too, it was the best thing they could do. Humans used to make the most of lots of waste product in many cases but now this would be produced in a factory which would not be very sustainable and using a lot of energy, power and water to make it fit for purpose.

There are arguments about the peat bogs. This started from Ireland where they have been digging their bogs for the peat, for heat uses to slowly burn in their fires. It is the only thing they had.
I completely agree peat can be damaging to the environment, but what isn't these days.....? I intend my soils now to last for a lifetime.
Apparently there are excessive amounts of peat bogs untouched around the world. There are many alternatives to this though. In the US you can get a product was origionally a waste product but has the same sort of properties as peat. If you wanted to build a living soil there would be nothing stopping you using that alternative.

Things aren't always that short sighted nor black and white are they.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
duke (Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:44 pm)

Post by Guest »

grow_guided wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:16 pm
Each to there own but I can’t stand the stuff as a growing medium, not even considering the environmental issue I just plain don’t like coco.
Good post
Yeah each to there own. Never completely rule things out though. It is good to see things from all angles I think.

I would like to try a Salt based grow. I wander now if there is something more locally sourced that I could use instead :idn:

Pity there is no coconut tree's near by :lol:
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
grow_guided (Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:06 am) • duke (Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:46 pm)

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:37 pm
KD wrote:

Well dave, you're using a lot of energy to produce the coir. This would be more sustainable if it was local, like if you lookand read the read how the locals used to origionally produce this stuff for cloth, fibres for growing too, it was the best thing they could do. Humans used to make the most of lots of waste product in many cases but now this would be produced in a factory which would not be very sustainable and using a lot of energy, power and water to make it fit for purpose.

There are arguments about the peat bogs. This started from Ireland where they have been digging their bogs for the peat, for heat uses to slowly burn in their fires. It is the only thing they had.
I completely agree peat can be damaging to the environment, but what isn't these days.....? I intend my soils now to last for a lifetime.
Apparently there are excessive amounts of peat bogs untouched around the world. There are many alternatives to this though. In the US you can get a product was origionally a waste product but has the same sort of properties as peat. If you wanted to build a living soil there would be nothing stopping you using that alternative.

So now you're implying I'm short sighted? I think it's best we stop talking to each other if you can't have an adult discussion without throwing or implying things about the other person. You don't know me bro
These users thanked the author KD for the post:
duke (Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:46 pm)

Post by Guest »

KD wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:46 pm
DIY.Rik wrote:
KD wrote:

So now you're implying I'm short sighted? I think it's best we stop talking to each other if you can't have an adult discussion without throwing or implying things about the other person. You don't know me bro
Why the attitude then?

Calm your testicles down a little. Do some tea bagging or something :lol:

Anyway, it is a different post Dave FFS

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:53 pm
KD wrote:
DIY.Rik wrote:

Why the attitude then?

What attitude? You asked for an opinion and I gave mine. That is allowed right Mr boss man sir?

Post by Guest »

KD wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:44 pm
DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:53 pm
KD wrote:

Why the attitude then?

What attitude? You asked for an opinion and I gave mine. That is allowed right Mr boss man sir?
:lol:
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
KD (Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:12 am)

grow_guided

Post by grow_guided »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:40 pm
grow_guided wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:16 pm
Good post
Yeah each to there own. Never completely rule things out though. It is good to see things from all angles I think.

I would like to try a Salt based grow. I wander now if there is something more locally sourced that I could use instead :idn:

Pity there is no coconut tree's near by :lol:
I totally see the use for it, that’s what brought me to try it out I just get poor results each time and went back to using a Pete based potting mix. I know people swear by it and get great results but I can’t replicate them.

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”