Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Curing methods, an experiment.....

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics
FX
Known User

Curing methods, an experiment.....

Post by FX »

Okay, so as harvest draws near, I'm thinking about drying and curing.
I want to try taking similar buds from one plant and trying different curing methods and then doing a taste test of the finished product!

So far, I have 4 methods to try:
*Standard, glass jar, open daily, keep in a cool dark place.
*fridge, same as the last but keep in the fridge
* purple glass curing jar, I have a small jar already, to be left on a sunnny windowsill, still opened daily. Not convinced on this one
* metal CV container, I will be buying one next week.

Does anyone have any different methods that may be worth a go?
Freeze drying and curing is out unless someone wants to buy me a pharmaceutical freeze dryer?
These users thanked the author FX for the post (total 3):
wutang (Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:53 pm) • Guest (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:19 pm) • Keeno (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:22 pm)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Re: Curing methods, an experiment.....

Post by JJ »

tending jars is like feeding kidz,clockwork,but in the end worth it(shift to stoned thoughts)
These users thanked the author JJ for the post:
Keeno (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:23 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Hey Fibro.

How are you drying it before jars?

See, I;ve had my mind warped by someone (probably myself) telling me that oxidisation is the biggest fucker upper of dope, so a fast, 35*C dry in a dehumidifier is best, then just whack it in a jar and never open it till needed. SO I looked in the science and yeah, seems they (I) could be onto something.
They (I) mentioned that burping jars is just letting more oxygen back into the jar to fuck the bud up, so basically dry it till a little crisp and re-hydrate if needed, when needed. :idn:

I dunno though man, I may sacrifice a plant or two to that thinking along the way.

Good luck anyway, will be watching from the sidelines. :oik!:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post:
Guest (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:15 pm)

Post by Guest »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:54 pm
Hey Fibro.

See, I;ve had my mind warped by someone (probably myself) telling me that oxidisation is the biggest fucker upper of dope, so a fast, 35*C dry in a dehumidifier is best, then just whack it in a jar and never open it till needed. SO I looked in the science and yeah, seems they (I) could be onto something.
They (I) mentioned that burping jars is just letting more oxygen back into the jar to fuck the bud up, so basically dry it till a little crisp and re-hydrate if needed, when needed. :idn:

I dunno though man, I may sacrifice a plant or two to that thinking along the way.

Good luck anyway, will be watching from the sidelines. :oik!:
I keep mine in a jar, in the fridge, then in 2-3 plastic bags or containers to keep anmy bugs and smells from food etc... out.

I don't burp every day, unless my humidty sensor in there say's above 60 to 65% RH.

This I find retains the flavour and I never get any mouldy tsate when vaping etc.....

Just takes longer for the chlorophyll to break down into sugars, which is what we want when curing.

Fast dry I thought would evaporate more terpenes and leaves more clorophyll in the bud, or somehting along those lines.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
Keeno (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:24 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

FX
Known User

Post by FX »

This is why I want to do the experiment, so many different methods and reasoning, I want to see what works best for me, which I prefer
These users thanked the author FX for the post:
Keeno (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 pm)

JJ

Post by JJ »

how about vacuum in the mason jar with a seal-a meal adapter???
These users thanked the author JJ for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 pm) • FX (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:49 pm)

Post by Guest »

fibrosux wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:24 pm
This is why I want to do the experiment, so many different methods and reasoning, I want to see what works best for me, which I prefer
There was a podcast @Keeno and @GMO did, they mentioned curing if I remember right.

If youer environment is at 70% and inside your jars is 56% don't open the jar! Unless you have a way of bringing the immediate RH in the room down to just below where you want it to be.

All you will do is add unwanted moisture.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
FX (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 pm) • Keeno (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 pm)

JJ

Post by JJ »

Vacuum Thermal Energy Technology
Vacuum technology works by reducing pressure within a system, which lowers the boiling point of water and the undesirable compounds in cannabis. This allows for a low-temperature boiling-off, while keeping the desirable colour, cannabinoids, and terpenes in the product.

Vacuum technology pulls moisture from within the buds to the surface, where it can be dried quickly and consistently. Though speed was an enemy to drying and curing in the past, an adapted quick-dry process can actually enhance quality.

Time is the enemy of terpenes. They are volatile compounds that quickly begin to degrade after harvest. Vacuum-assisted drying allows for a faster drying at a lower temperature, where terpenes are conserved. Low-temperature dehydration facilitates drying and curing simultaneously. This eliminates the need for curing, while pampering the plant material.

Dhydra technologies vacuum chamber; highlighting that vacuum technology eliminates the need for curing
Vacuum technology eliminates the need for curing. It pulls out moisture from within the cannabis buds during the drying process.

saw this
These users thanked the author JJ for the post (total 2):
FX (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:49 pm) • Guest (Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:07 pm)

FX
Known User

Post by FX »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:54 pm
Hey Fibro.

Just planning on hanging the buds, nothing fancy...well unless something tickles my interest lol
These users thanked the author FX for the post (total 3):
Marcus (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:39 pm) • wutang (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:46 pm) • Guest (Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

I've always followed an old guide and its suited me well but im having some changes in my thinking of late.

Id normally dry between 18-20c till the weeds at 58-65% RH then start the cure. Never really paying much attention to temperature but keeping it in the coolest room in the house in the dark burping jars/tubs but not letting it get to below 55% in the curing process. Id read that the bacteria that needs to form to between 55-65% to complete the curing process. The drying to get it to this point normally takes 5-8 days to get under 65% rh.

I was saying to gmo the other day that I find a bud in the groom or down back of my desk occasionally that's not been cured, just left in the open for god knows how long and it always smells beautiful.

As for cold curing I'm definitely onto this as I've purposesly dried something much colder than normal recently and it's been kept much colder curing and the smell after the same period of time id normally cure my old way is totally different. Much deeper and more delicate profile to the bud aromas than normal.

I look forward to seeing how you get on with your experiment Fibro.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 3):
wutang (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:46 pm) • FX (Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:49 pm) • Guest (Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 pm)

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”